Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sailing to Premiere on BBC Radio 2, 14 Jan 14 after 11 AM< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 13:39

just a quick question, has the single been played any more times, or on any other radio stations...does anyone else know....?

I wondered how much promotion it is getting, or is this still early days?

I absolutely love the song ...with the right coverage it'll do well I think...that kind of song is just what we need in grey, wet old January over here!! It feels so sunny.  I had geared myself up for the album at the end of the month and I am disappointed there is a delay...for whatever reason...I was so looking forward to a new album...but what can you do...patience is a virtue! And March isn't that far away.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 14:35

Early days .... but Luke and Caroline are with Mike right now re. promo work for MOTR ..... Another video sample provided by Luke on his FB page and now on MO on Record FB page as well ... Very promising .. sounds Pink Floyd(ish) :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 19:20

Quote (Harmono @ Jan. 18 2014, 21:01)
It's one hell of a song. I don't give a damn about what chord changes there is. Simple or complex, it makes no difference, for it is a spiritual connection. That sound when the fingernails touch the strings, that is the connection!

lovely comment.. thank you i agree

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 07:13

It was played by the same DJ, Ken Bruce today just before 11am this time :)

I wonder if Mike and Luke will make a video for this song?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 07:48

Caroline commented she intends putting up on MO Personal FB page (soon ..maybe today ! ) an unplugged version of Sailing with just Mike on acoustic guitar & Luke singing .... Photos available already !! :)
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 10:21

Bloody Facebook….!!!!!!!
great to have all this treats up on personal face books..
BUT what if you don't do it, and are not on there.

Very messy….
Isn't anybody co-ordinating all this.
Would be nice to have it one place.

Sorry to sound so old school.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 11:42

Quote (Bell Boy @ Jan. 20 2014, 10:21)
Bloody Facebook….!!!!!!!
great to have all this treats up on personal face books..
BUT what if you don't do it, and are not on there.

Very messy….
Isn't anybody co-ordinating all this.
Would be nice to have it one place.

Sorry to sound so old school.

No, you are actually quite right here. I understand that not everyone want to have facebook and not everyone needs it.

I am sure these videos could be downloaded and uploaded somewhere. The best would be youtube. We could ask Caro to put it in her channel for instance.
Profile PM 
nurofeg Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 11:52

Don't have facebook, don't want it.

If you find any information or pics let as know.

--------------
Searching for:
SURFING (promo cd single) 2005 - SURFCJ1  
MONT ST. MICHEL (promo cd single) 1996 - PRCD363
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 12:04

Bell Boy

I agree with your comments about Facebook. Caroline also has an open fbook page which anyone can view. Surely she could post it all on there, so that those who aren't signed up to, or don't use social media sites, can keep up to date.

Could our administrators suggest this to her perhaps?

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 12:15

I don't like Facebook either (it's nice to see I'm not alone!!;)

Times have changed though & social media is thriving - it's the way everyone finds out about things & I am beginning to feel like I inhabit a different world (i.e the REAL one) maybe I'll just listen to the radio a bit more just incase they play it - and March will be here soon enough!

Bee :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 13:16

Its an unfortunate fact of life these days that if you're not on facebook you do miss out on quite a lot. As far as bands and artists are concerned it has in part taken over from having a regular website. Record labels like it because its a great way to manage fans, the backbone of it is people sharing content and the feedback is of course direct. Facebook and Twitter have just become a whole area of the internet unto themselves really. There's obvious downsides to it though. You can't collect and organise content like you do with a website like Tubular.net and its not a great forum for having discussion, as Mike's facebook page and various other artists pages I frequent sometimes prove. They do have to be managed well. I think Caroline Monk does a great job with Mike's one.

It is true though that Facebook has sucked the life out of fan sites to a certain extent. (I'm not just talking about Mike here but generally) Its an evolution of the way the internet is used I guess.  

If you don't like facebook but don't want to miss out on all the stuff going on there then just make up an alias account. My girlfriend has an account under our cats name. Our cat doesn't give a toss about privacy lol.
Profile PM 
gtelicki Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 14:44

Simple song, it could be anybody, no Oldfield in this piece at all. Sad
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 15:32

Posted on Jan. 20 2014, 18:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't like Facebook either (it's nice to see I'm not alone!!;)

Times have changed though & social media is thriving - it's the way everyone finds out about things & I am beginning to feel like I inhabit a different world (i.e the REAL one)

You're so right bee!!!  And even my deep admiration for Mike and his music will not get me to go on Facebook...  :(
Come on fellows, let's hold on to our attitude. No need to submit to that social media nonsense. Don't see why there should be a better place for us than this here to share our thoughts...   :)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2014, 15:40

Totally agree with comments.

I don't have Facebook and never intend too either, it would be nice if fans who don't have Facebook could be kept update.

Why can't and video clips be put on Mike's official website?
Profile PM 
Andy_Swizz Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 15:57

Agree with post above that it's got a very pink floydish sound about latest clip,or maybe more Dave Gilmour solo album sound.even spiller sounds like him. Far to much moanin. About New album on here,I'm sure mike could knock you lot an album consisting of islands,flying start,innocent,runaway son,Saved by bell,shine,trick of light and various dross he has churned out in past. I cant wait for album
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 16:49

Caroline's thoughts on MOTR:-

'Well the crew and Luke Spiller have just left  I will miss them but will meet up again in London soon. I have listened to the album both on computer and live and I have to say its unbelievable !!!! I love it. Luke is going to be a huge star, his voice is amazing and he is such a great performer and a bloody nice bloke. Mike has made a truly wonderful album and on a few occasions we have all had tears in our eyes. It's so emotional and beautiful. I can't wait for you to hear it. Right I am off to chill and have a very large Rum and Coke  I love my life x'

Also Mike's thoughts on each track are available (in spanish only for now :( ) which shows there must be a few hard rock tracks ! ... Mike's favourite is Chariots with is similar to Shadow on the Wall. Irene is a sort of Rolling Stones track. :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 16:58

Only translation software version but you get the jist :-

In EMI edition will arrive in Spain on March 4 " Man On The Rocks" , the first album by Mike Oldfield with new material since 2008. To record it has had the help of musicians like bassist Leland Sklar ( Phil Collins, Crosby, Stills & Nash, James Taylor) and drummer John Robinson (Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton , Daft Punk) . " Man On The Rocks" will be available on standard CD , double CD " Deluxe" with the instrumental versions of the tracks on the album ; triple CD " SuperDeluxe " with the added eleven demos and alternate mixes of four songs , four boards and two portraits Mike Oldfield , vinyl and download .

" The logical thing would have been to make another album style ' Tubular Bells' to try to place their best, but I'm not well and the new album , 'Man On The Rocks' , is fully alive , represents a return to basic rock" says Oldfield.

Mike Oldfield himself presents each of the songs, " Man On The Rocks" :

' Sailing'
"When you're at sea,you invade that wonderful feeling of freedom ! Had the pace to a rocker theme and lyrics, ' sailing ' to the choir and I thought , no, I can not only use the word ' sailing ' to the chorus. There can not be another ' Sailing' and that's the Rod Stewart. But then I thought , why not ? And I dove for it. "

' Moonshine '
"I had ideas and loose parts for years as the theme ' Moonshine ' , working it took 25 years . It was originally going to be called 'Whiskey In the Wind ' . It was a true story : we were in a band on the way to the west coast of Ireland in Galway Bay and we had a bottle of whiskey, and it was really cold . "

'Man on the Rocks '
" Almost accidentally ended up becoming addictions topic , which can be anything from drugs to alcohol, or certain situations or even addiction to failure. The biggest problem was the issue to find out who sings it , the addicted person or anyone else looking at the addicted person . So hit me , who is really celebrating is the addiction itself . "

' Castaway '
"I was remembering my fear of abandonment as a child . Now I am psychologically at peace after years of psychotherapy. But I remember it used to be and childhood trauma are still inside me , although I am able to watch them directly and can not control my life. Children need security , so I devoted my music to my wonderful children and all children . "

'Minutes'
" One issue that comes to leaving situations in the past and how it feels to miss someone. It has a small instrumental hook, tried to catch the sound issues were in the 60s, Buddy Holly , early The Shadows , Adam Faith and Joe Meek , subjects listened to my sister in her Dansette . "

' Dreaming in the wind'
"It's about life after death , death itself. On a visit to a group of islands near here, the Exumas , virtually uninhabited . It's like a different planet , crystal clear water , virtually no ... there are times that the music speaks for itself . "

' Nuclear'
" My grandfather, Michael Liston, died when I was very small. Was Irish and was dragged to the British army in the First World War . One of the most powerful experiences I was alive when I visited Ypres and Passchandaele and saw many men of his regiment , Munster Fusiliers, were buried . I am very connected to the residual atmosphere and there you can still feel the desolation. It is a song about frustration , anger , despair . I wanted a powerful word and the word ' nuclear ' popped into my head. "

' Chariots '
" ' Chariots ' is similar to 'Shadow On The Wal ' " , a cry of desperation for any person or any group or culture feel oppressed. Sometimes you have to fight to conquer or overcome an obstacle or a situation in which nothing will change unless you get up and back against it . It is one of my favorite subjects. "

' Following the Angels '
' From my perspective on stage , all in the opening of the Olympic Games in 2012 came from above. There were waterfalls pyrotechnics, ' His Majesty ' it fell from a helicopter, after all Mary Poppins appeared. That night was amazing , I remember arriving at the stadium and think how lovely London can be . "

' Irene '
"Hurricane Irene 2011 was category three . The highest category is five, which is devastating. The eye of the storm was right over the house, it was scary but also outstanding. He had so much energy I thought, I have to write a topic about this, for inspiration I got old songs by the Rolling Stones . I love the harshness of their sound. I played the blues in the key of G , as Keith Richards used to do. "

' I Give Myself Away'
" I heard by chance and thought it was one of the most beautiful songs I had heard . I discovered that it was a religious theme Willian McDowell. I made a couple of changes to the letter so that it could be applied to everyday life. I was not going to include it , but the co -producer Steve Lipsion thought it was great, and to finish off the album fits perfectly . "
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 17:59

Many many thanks HuanCry for posting this...great to read what Caroline thought about the album.  It does sound good in words - can't wait to hear it as music

Time is speeding by just lately so it won't be long before it's released.  I have ordered my copy as an LP for a change - will buy the cd another day.

I hope Mike is happy with the result - it must be nerve wracking, even after all these years and with all the experience - it's still sending a part of yourself out into the world, but maybe in a way it is a helpful and healthy thing to do.

As for Facebook - wonderful to see others feel the same as me. I like the idea of the cat having a Facebook page Toby, really funny that could be...but you hit the nail on the head when you said that it was a great way to 'manage' fans.  If there's one thing I really don't like, it's being managed!!! I like the orderliness of the Forum here, you can find things relatively easily and follow what is being said chronologically.  From what I hear about Facebook, it's a bit hit and miss.

Can't wait for March!
bee  :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 18:09

Bee it may be worth getting the boxset supposedly exclusive to Universal store but is also showing on Amazon UK.

This not only includes instrumental versions but Mike's demos (with his voice I believe .. though not sure if we've had confirmation of that) as well as some alternative mixes.
Profile PM 
Blind Faith Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2014, 20:21

I ordered myself a vinyl copy...

for my birthday in March.

This sounds nice and a fun change of pace.

:O I am not a Facebook fan either, it feels like too much exposure.
Profile PM 
139 replies since Jan. 13 2014, 13:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net