Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Roger Waters to tour The Wall in North America, Tour dates announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 12 2010, 17:17

View the story here.

I won't be attending, as I deplore Roger's use of prerecorded vocals and instruments (I mean, it's one thing for Rush to use prerecorded backing vocals, but Roger barely sings at all anymore), but I thought I'd give everyone here a heads up.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 18:05

On his 1989 (1990?) Berlin Potsdamer Platz concert, one whole song was pre-recorded ("The Trial") as there were costumed actors performing it. I've head that other vocals were replaced on the home video/DVD release of the show, but I'm not sure what they were.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 15:49

It's gotten much worse since the 1990 concert. I guess he's lost his voice... this is going to sound really mean but I think if you can't bring it... maybe you shouldn't tour.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 13 2010, 20:16

I recently realized, watching an Ommadawn video, that I prefer lipsync singers to out of tune singers. Singers are harder to control than keys or strings, I understand Roger Waters and Mike.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 22:07

I agree Olivier.  I'll be on the front row when Roger tours.  This debate over 'how live' something is is antiquated and irrelevant.  I used to work in the theatre/live music industry, and there wasn't a single act that didn't use some sort of pre-recorded click-track or pre-programmed sequencer - not a single one.  Live music is virtually an oxymoron these days; even classical orchestras will use pre-recorded tracks at live concerts.  Just go along and enjoy the show!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 02:15

Singing has always been problematic for Roger. To begin with he writes songs that are way out of his range so that he can barely sing them in the studio. And he admits himself that he finds it difficult to pitch. And the audience doesn't come to hear him scat-sing anyway, do they?

David Gilmour doesn't need backing tapes to reproduce the half-spoken baritone melodies from the Division Bell. Noone would.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 04:40

At the risk of a flaming i'd say that if you can't do it don't do it!Waters never was a great singer,even in Floyd.On the Wall recording he sang in a different studio to the rest of the band cos the one the music was recorded in he found harder than usual to pitch in.Call me an old fart but live music should be just that.Ok sequencers and click tracks are fine in their place because they deal with the timing side of things and on huge stages and/or with very complex music you sometimes need help with it but they don't alter the pitch.If you really cannot sing in tune then you really shouldn't try to fool people by using pre-recorded vocals.It's cheating and despite what people have said here and elsewhere there will be a great many people who have bought tickets expecting (rightly IMO)to hear Waters sing and will feel cheated of their hard earned cash to know he's not really singing.
 I know a lot of pop singers do it but Waters is better than that and ought to have a bit more dignity.He has produced some bloody good music but maybe now it's time to let his ego have a day off.He certainly doesn't need the money and one suspects that he doesn't feel a compulsion to 'connect' with his audience.
 And before anyone says it i felt the same when Oldfield did it.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 07:21

I personally would be less offended if the pre-recorded vocal was recorded specifically for the performance. If the vocals were taken from the album I would be disappointed. I come to a show to hear and see something unique, pre-recorded or not.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 10:30

I agree with the Caveman. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe in the power of a live performance. And I would rather hear someone sing out of tune if they still felt it than use a prerecorded vocal. How can you put any emotion into something if you're not even doing it? And for the record, I'm fairly sure that it's not only his vocals that are recorded, but his bass on some tunes as well. I have a DVD of his In The Flesh tour where his hands were off the bass, in the air, and there are still notes coming out.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 14 2010, 11:56

Watching a DVD can be misleading, as the mistakes can be fixed after the live recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibgVzDrkofU
I'd definitely prefer recorded vocals than live ones in this performance. And most of the time, I'd prefer less emotion from the singers actually, they show too much.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 11:57

I will skip this one. Waters, as old as he is(66), why do this? Broke? Feeling the need to answer to Gilmour's "Island"? As you've read, I don't much care for this guy, his solo work or his ego. When PF was a cohesive band, he was integral/indespensible. But time(no pun intended) proved he was despensible. Sorry. I don't like the dude or his attitude. I predict this will be a dismal failure and cost him monetary losses.....but enjoy, those of you who care. I would however, enjoy him sitting in my living room with an acoustic git singing "Pigs on the Wing". I always enjoyed that diddy......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 12:01

You miserable bunch.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 13:30

Explain "miserable bunch". Do you hate PF? Who is the miserable bunch? It ain't Kubrick's bunch, that much is certain. I love Kubrick. I wanna re-watch "Artificial Intelligence". Spielberg's homage finish to a great Kubrick idea.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 21:03

I just recieved a front row seat for Roger Waters in Melbourne.
Anyone here seen his current tour of the Wall??
What was the production like.

Profile PM 
GhostOfAdelaide Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 21:39

I'm seeing it at both shows in Sydney. I have a friend who went and saw the show in the US, once in Las Vegas and once in Los Angeles. The Wall had been his favourite album for years, and he said it was the best show of his life. I've heard it's quite elaborate visually, as it's a completely full-scale opera, as well as projected visuals. I can't wait to see it!  :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2011, 09:18

Quote (Milamber @ Oct. 26 2011, 02:03)
I just recieved a front row seat for Roger Waters in Melbourne.
Anyone here seen his current tour of the Wall??
What was the production like.

Saw last May in London and that was massive.Worth every penny invested.For me,The Wall live is much more impressive than on the record.Maybe the stage and the stage figures?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since April 12 2010, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net