Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rock album update< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
falk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2013, 10:23

judging from the videoclip this so-callled rockalbum is MO going toto. might be he is inspired by Simon Phillips, who, for those who dont knows, now plays with them. going down a new road for MO, but not what i would expect. hope this is not a clue for, whats on the album, because if its true there are people doing this much better than mike
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 11 2013, 11:24

A few more snippets I got from the Skype call about the rock album:

Mike considers the best track might well be "Whiskey on the Rocks", a reminscence of camaraderie in Ireland which may give the album its title.  

Not sure that's an entirely good idea!

Oh, and the vocalist on all but that specific song is someone called Luke.  My guess is it's Luke Oldfield.  So the guest vocalists idea didn't really surface by the sounds of it.  Will it end up a father-son collaboration record?

So we have 2 song titles:

1. Chariots
2. Whiskey on the Rocks

Anyone gleaned any other clues so far?
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 11 2013, 15:48

Don't forget the Olympic inspired track 'Following the Angels Down' as well (if I heard correctly on Mike's Skype call).

Phil recalled 'Whisky on the Rocks/Whisky in the Rain' track name to which Mike responded with a yes. Since this was many years ago and Mike having also mentioned he's been currently changing the lyrics its likely the title will have changed from what it was called long ago.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 11 2013, 15:57

'Following the Angels Down' would make a great album title I think :) ... Mike said it is a beautiful song even though he said the Ireland song was probably the best.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 11 2013, 17:43

Or "Man on the Rocks"  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 14 2013, 09:19

On Skype Mike said that the new album will be released sometime early next year. At least that's what I think I heard him say. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 14 2013, 13:28

It was an educated guess on Mike's part so quite likely to be the case. Mike said the album should be finished in within the next two months then Universal has to get all their stuff sorted e.g. the manufacture and marketing.

Mike thinks the title will be confirmed over the next two months though.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 14 2013, 17:31

I will definitely buy this album, and I can't wait until the day I can put my headphones on and immerse myself in it with an open mind...but there are some things about the way this album has been recorded that frankly worry me.

Mike not even meeting face to face with the "rock band" who are playing on his album is especially disconcerting. How can he possibly have quality control over what is being recorded? How can he inspire the musicians who are playing on this album to elevate their performance to that level of magic that Oldfield's music deserves, and not just sounding like faceless hired studio musicians?

At least Mike was probably in the same building when Bonnie Tyler sang for him...
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 14 2013, 19:12

I would probably agree with you Gus but for what Leland Sklar stated on his website:-

'We just finished the Mike Oldfield album tonight. This has been one of the best weeks in ages in the studio. Killer band, fab producer, great engineer and 2nd and a very cool artist with great songs for us to dig our teeth into. Everyone brought their 'A' game.'

Also Stephen Lipson has stated Mike's guitar solos are amazing !

Where Mike has been in the studio on previous albums I've read he's usually closed off in the control room .... not that much difference from being on Skype !
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 15 2013, 00:31

Mike himself provided mini remote guitar solos for French musician Michel Polnareff. I think he got connected via bassist Phil Spalding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Ly0DXLOdw

at 2:20
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 13:45

Quote (HuanCry @ July 15 2013, 01:12)
I would probably agree with you Gus but for what Leland Sklar stated on his website:-

'We just finished the Mike Oldfield album tonight. This has been one of the best weeks in ages in the studio. Killer band, fab producer, great engineer and 2nd and a very cool artist with great songs for us to dig our teeth into. Everyone brought their 'A' game.'

Also Stephen Lipson has stated Mike's guitar solos are amazing !

Great, but where is this information from? I can't find a Lee Sklar website. What I have found is that same quote on three other sites, but they don't offer any links.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 14:36

It was on his FB page!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 14:58

Aha! Thanks, Tati. I did look for Sklar on Facebook but found nothing.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 15 2013, 17:17

Sorry Harmono ... I meant to state his FB page .... Thanks Tati  :)
Profile PM 
senntinel Offline

Posted: July 20 2013, 13:07

Ive been listening to the sample video clip and really like it. Looking forward to the new album. Im intrigued by the fact this is a very personal work for Mike, so I guess I wouldnt want to judge too quickly and be hurtful in anyway cause this guys music has meant alot to me for many years as I reckon it has for a lot of people. So onward and upwards :D
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: July 24 2013, 07:33

...sounds to me like Mike visiting Yes "90125" album...this tiny bit sounds great to me, and since drums/bass combination is essential master like Leland on bass and somebody like him on drums could prove precious ....
....although it is really hard to hear from this recording, guy on vocals seems good and young.... looking forward to it definitely....

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 24 2013, 09:20

The Yes-parallell is relevant. Another of those artists; Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Yes...whose discography is a roller coaster ride of sheer bliss and I-Can't-Belive-I'm-Listening-To-This. Sometimes at the same time. Like a rapid cycling bipolar episode. :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: July 26 2013, 21:58

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 03 2013, 13:45)
.....hope the other 49 minutes and 20 seconds yield something more spine tingling.

Agreed. When Mike said "rock" I was thinking Family Man, Shadow on the Wall, Poison Arrows, Discovery...

I am going to pretend I didn't hear that snippet.

I also fail to understand the obsession with tenors. Baritones can belt it out too. Ian Gillain, Rob Halford, Serj Tankien, Glenn Danzig...............
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 26 2013, 23:36

None of the above are baritones other than Danzig.
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 00:37

Um... yes they are.
Profile PM 
65 replies since June 27 2013, 17:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net