Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rock album update< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 27 2013, 17:55

Mike has posted a new progress update for his new album, via Caroline Monk on Facebook:

Hi everyone, the sessions in LA are happening right now and Steve Lipson is there. I am connected and acting as remote co producer using two Skype cameras and live streaming audio using Nicecast. It's fantastic ! The musicians are the best there is and so far we have recorded two backing tracks which really rock. Can't wait for today and we have a wonderful Gospel choir coming on Saturday. Steve will then bring the multi tracks back to London and we will finish the vocals. I will add my guitars at the same time and then it's mix time. I can't wait to listen to the finished thing ! Love Mike

Update July 1: Caroline has posted a 40 seconds video of the musicians listening to a song they're working on.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2013, 18:39

I really hope that Im proven wrong.....
But this doesn't sound like the album, we're all waiting for from Mike.
Sorry to sound doom and gloom....
A bunch of session players and session singers he doesnt know.
All done over the internet. Clever ( or lazy?) but not organic.
He's better than this...
As I said what ever its like, its better than nothing.
I hope I'm wrong and he pulls it out of the bag and its brilliant.
That would be long overdue.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 27 2013, 22:37

Quote (Bell Boy @ June 27 2013, 15:39)
All done over the internet. Clever ( or lazy?) but not organic.

Not all. ;) The tracks will be brought back to London (which studio?) physically!!! He must have used all his allowed bandwidth for the month.

I'm wondering if he will require us to listen to this opus over telephony equipment that may still be in our possession.

I think musicians being isolated when recording is much more common than some of us may think, I remember seeing a documentary on the recording of some Pink Floyd album, they do it one thing at a time in almost complete isolation from each other. It has nothing to do with how jazz or classical musicians do it. And Mike is obviously one of the best a that, multitracking himself all the time, yet sounding so organic and lively.
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 04:44

well. the rockalbum is really happening. Maybe oldfashioned music but recorded in modern ways. Will be interesting to hear what this ends up with.
Mike working on it suggests, that what i am waiting for, the five miles out and crises deluxe editions, may be done. still looks like it`s a great year to be an oldfieldfan in.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 05:15

2CD+1DVD FMO and 5 Discs Crises Deluxe Editions are scheduled to release on September 2nd according to Amazon.com :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crises-...._m_h__1

This year is great!
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 06:35

I hope this is an error on the Amazon website but "Crises" (3 disc set) £12.41................"Five Miles Out" (5 disc set) £52.99!!! Iv'e been a Mike Oldfield fan since day one and have collected every album since "Tubular Bells" but can anyone tell me why I should have to pay an extra £40 more for the extra 2 disc's? Does anyone agree?
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 07:37

You mean Crises is 5 discs Box Set. And you've right, i also dont understand that huge difference between prices. Crises has only 2 discs more that FMO. Maybe there is some sort of "gift" included? :)
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 08:42

I think the Crises box will be like the TB box , with vinyl as the 5th disc
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 09:10

I dont think that this Rock album, is going to be Crises, Five Miles Out V2...!   (Again I hope to be proved wrong)...
At a guess, more like side one of Heavens Open, but with some session singers ( Earth Moving)....
NOt two of my favourite albums....BUT hay lets see.
The law of averages say that he is due a good one soon.

And yes £50 is a lot of a 5 disc set ( unless there is vinyl inc.)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 11:11

Gospel choir doesn't sound very rock, but then again the final minute of Amarok has basically a gospel choir, and that does ROCK :) He says Steve will bring the tapes BACK to London, does that mean Mike is in the UK now?
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 28 2013, 11:33

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 28 2013, 11:11)
Gospel choir doesn't sound very rock

I'm hoping he's used it rather like Jason Pierce and buddies have used gospel choirs in the songs of Spiritualized.  I just hope there's not a song about how wonderful God is...
Profile PM WEB 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 04:53

Quote (spark @ June 28 2013, 08:42)
I think the Crises box will be like the TB box , with vinyl as the 5th disc

No vinyl - there's a second pic on amazon that shows 5 CD's and either a DVD or book - looks like a DVD. Too expensive though.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 07:14

So what do we get ?
Original album + singles ?
2 live discs ?
1 demo disc ?
And the album in 5.1 ?

No vinyl just a thick book !

Now that is expensive .
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 07:47

Quote (spark @ June 29 2013, 07:14)
1 demo disc ?

I wish it will be a demo disc. I'd pay every money for that!
Profile PM 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 11:12

Thinking back to the Millennium Bell, Mike sat in the control room while the choir were being recorded next door, directed by Robin Smith. This isn't so different, in that Mike isn't in the same room, just this time he is a little further out of view.
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 16:26

One of the tracks is called Chariots. It was being recorded last night and apparently is quite a headbanger as described by Mike on Facebook.
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: June 29 2013, 16:48

Sorry folks! I made an error on my ealier posting! I meant to say the 3 disc "Five Miles Out" is £12.41 and the "Crises" 5 disc set  is £52.99 not the other way round! I have pre-ordered the first but until Universal  bring out a 2 or 3 disc version of "Crises"  for around the same price as "FMO" (£12.41 to £14.99) I shall skip this release altogether. :)  :)
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: June 30 2013, 06:38

I have ordered it; but for £50 the 5.1 mix of CRISES better NOT just be LOSSY DOLBY DIGITAL!!!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 30 2013, 06:57

I'll be very surprised if the £52.99 price doesn't drop significantly by the time of release ! ... unless the content includes a DVD of the 10th anniversary concert of TB ! ...

Probably very unlikely this DVD will be included though   :(
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 30 2013, 11:22

Gospel singer and session players...
I think we should know by now that when Mike says "rock" he means "AOR". And just as usual this one should be a minor hit on german radio.
Mike can say all he like that Richard Branson made him do all those "horrible" albums, but I think and album like Heaven's Open represents the real Mike Oldfield in a way. That's what he did while he was biding his time until releasing the big cash cow - TBII!
Ask a musician what he likes to play when he's not under preasure to please people or to sell records and you'll find out what he/she really loves. And I don't get the impression Mike does this because he needs the cash.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
65 replies since June 27 2013, 17:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net