Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rob Reed will release his own Bells: Sanctuary, Supported by Tom Newman and Simon Heywor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2014, 10:48

I have to agree….. though ... Is Sanctuary better than Tub Bells,Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge….NO >>>
BUt its more consistent…with side 2 better than side one.

Is it better than the last 5-6 MO albums……… ???????

It is what it is…once you get past the prejudice, and just listen to the album them its a corker…is VERY well played, and stunningly recorded….

"Finally somebody understand the feeling and the trilling to make a music piece so incredibly outstanding. I am overwhelmed - hear hear - to you Rob. I don’t understand that there are so many people who have an excuse to say any terrible word of your album. I ask myself why? What is the problem that you make an music piece that is so similar like Mike Oldfield in his best years. I think that the real diehard fans have to ask them self – what do we have had from mike himself over the last years – the reissues of his best albums, and o yes Man off the Rock but that is not an Oldfield album no trilling no nothing so bad and terrible. I played that album for one time and closed the boxed and placed in my cd shelve, and was ashamed to be an Oldfield fan. Over the last years I have looking for music artist composers who make music just like MO and be glad that there are some, Jose Manuel Guerra, Frank Dorittke and Miguel Angel de la Llave Jimenez Argengelus. I follow them and listened quiet some time now and they are fery good especially Miguel Engel. But now at last we have Robert who thatched   deeply my soul by hearing his piece of music Sanctuary thanks Rob.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2014, 19:48

Quote (Bell Boy @ Aug. 04 2014, 10:48)

Easily but that's not saying a lot.  :p

I kind of enjoy this but I don't think I can listen to it too much.

Excellent work recreating some of Mike's trademark timbres, I could certainly forgive someone asking "is this Mike Oldfield?". Unfortunately it also faithfully salutes some of Mike's more annoying habits from Tubular Bells II onward. I choose to blame Trevor Horn for those.

There are several terrific ideas that are worthy of much more development but are prematurely discarded which I find frustrating. It's like a patchwork comprised of little bits and pieces, most of the time it doesn't actually seem to be going anywhere. If it does it suddenly seems to go backwards.

Overall I think of it as a caricature of Mike Oldfield really.  It sounds like Mike on the surface, but it doesn't strike me with any of the jaw dropping cool that Mike used to be capable of. It doesn't build and develop the themes in such a coherent way; and neither side culminates in a spectacular or especially noteworthy finale.

All of this really just reminds me how brilliant Mike's earlier stuff was, how lucky we are to have it, and sadly that we'll never hear anything quite like it for the first time again.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2014, 15:19

Quote (First_Excursion @ Aug. 06 2014, 19:48)
Quote (Bell Boy @ Aug. 04 2014, 10:48)

Easily but that's not saying a lot.  :p

There are several terrific ideas that are worthy of much more development but are prematurely discarded which I find frustrating. It's like a patchwork comprised of little bits and pieces, most of the time it doesn't actually seem to be going anywhere. If it does it suddenly seems to go backwards.

Overall I think of it as a caricature of Mike Oldfield really.  It sounds like Mike on the surface, but it doesn't strike me with any of the jaw dropping cool that Mike used to be capable of. It doesn't build and develop the themes in such a coherent way; and neither side culminates in a spectacular or especially noteworthy finale.

I disagree. I was listening to Sanctuary for the 3rd time earlier today and I find it is refreshing that it doesn't linger on themes for too long. Tubular Bells was both minimalist in the opening, hypnotic section and a masterclass in short, sharp sections highlighting variety in other sections of Part 1. Rob does similar - not that it matters whether he does or not. Less is often more and when I finish listening, I just look forward to the next spin when I can hear some of those changes again - tune to tune - just as I did with Tubular Bells all those years ago.

The closing sections of Part 1 are fabulous. I think the tunes are as good as, if not better than, many featured on the albums they seek to emulate. But that's personal opinion and is possibly driven by a now sated desire to have more of this style of music faithfully recreated on non-synthesised instruments.

For those who say it's all been done before - of course it has. But there is always room for more excellent music and musicianship that we desire. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned on these forums for many years now, Mike simply doesn't compose and develop ideas like this anymore - this outshines everything since Amarok. I hear 'quotes' from QE2, Five Miles Out and Crises, so Sanctuary doesn't restrict the tribute to the 'classic Oldfield era' of the 70s.

Great stuff!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2014, 01:41

Robert Reed will release a new EP with four new instrumental tracks. Watch here:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-11-04/rob-reed-s-wicker-man-tribute
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2014, 17:46

hmmm, well.
having found the time and mood to listen to it through my headphones now (well, I do have neighbors which are'nt in the holidays right now and not at close to midnight as well... ;)). of course it is some kind of "compilation" of older (not to say 1973- ~1980) M.O.-works put into two parts of a tune. but on the other hand, as stated here before, it does not "sit" on themes for too long as M.O. did in that periode of time. on the 1st listen I'd rate it over everything Mike himself has produced since TMB. sure it DOES sound alot like HR, Inc. and Ommadwan mostly (I'm still stuck at Pt. 1 while writing this "review"), but not in a way that I'd have to say "why should I listen to it when I have the originals?". there's still enough own spirit/touch in it to make it a worthwile listen. so .... a big "thumbs up" frome me.....

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
44 replies since June 14 2014, 05:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net