Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rob Reed will release his own Bells: Sanctuary, Supported by Tom Newman and Simon Heywor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
spark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 14 2014, 10:58

Well Nezzico after watching and hearing that , Rob might as well change his name to MIKE !
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 14 2014, 11:26

I forgot to ask Joe...is this a real time interview, and can we ask questions via the chat room?

Love the video...I had an interview like that once, a long time ago. Sadly I didn't have a baseball bat, but I did walk out!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: July 15 2014, 04:40

Quote (Priabonia @ July 14 2014, 16:26)
I forgot to ask Joe...is this a real time interview, and can we ask questions via the chat room?

Love the video...I had an interview like that once, a long time ago. Sadly I didn't have a baseball bat, but I did walk out!

Sadly not, I did put out messages on FB for any questions for the recording of the interview and only got two responses...   :/
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 19 2014, 12:20

Hear Part One complete....interesting
Not sure how long this will be up

http://robertreed.bandcamp.com/releases
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: July 20 2014, 05:40

Wow ... that sounds more like Oldfield than Mike Oldfield  :D

... beautiful work ... get cleenex near beside you, before listening
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 20 2014, 15:56

Quote (Covenant @ July 15 2014, 09:40)
Sadly not, I did put out messages on FB for any questions for the recording of the interview and only got two responses...   :/

Ah, well if you will use F***book what do you expect ;-)

If you'd posted here I would have seen and *definitely* lobbed you a few questions (like "Rob, did you, like me, buy a yellow sweatshirt and ask your barber to cut your hair shaggy like in the pic on the front of the Guilty single"...)

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 20 2014, 16:03

It sounds very well recorded and played.

Musically it seems to be an amalgamation of Mike Oldfield's first four albums, but not as involving. I heard very specific and particular references to both Hergest Ridge and Incantations. If you've heard Mike's first 4 albums there isn't anything new to hear with this. Call it "Variations on themes by Mike Oldfield" but calling it original music is a stretch for certain.
Profile PM WEB 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: July 20 2014, 16:52

Yes, of course there are a lot of "references" to Mikes work, as expected. But that is only one side of the coin. There is a lot of "new" material between - very well played with the same instruments.

The structure of the whole thing reminds me more to Mikes later compositions - where breaks and theme changes comes more suddenly and in shorter frequences - like Mike compared it with a George Lucas movie in earlier days. The character of the music at all also isnt really minimalistic, not avangardish and hasnt that melancholic mood - but nevertheless my Oldfield-nerve is touched. The concept and mood is similar to Amarok, but without that craziness in it.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 21 2014, 11:17

Yes GusFogle .
Variations of Mike Oldfield would have been preferred .

And if there is more original work in between , why arnt those tunes being promoted ?
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 21 2014, 11:24

Listen to PART ONE and judge for your self....

http://robertreed.bandcamp.com/releases

There is definitely no rips of tunes here, just sound scape and use off instruments..... Unlike Tub Bells I and TUB Bells II which was
a reworking of the same themes.....

I have come to this and listened as a stand alone work with out too much prepared prejudice .... so it works for me.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: July 21 2014, 12:53

Let your heart decide. Isnt a question of intelectual arguments for me.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 22 2014, 07:12

Like I said before I like it but its a just a copy of the Mike we miss .
The begining sounds a little Ridge to me .

Would be funny if it really is Mike ?
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: July 22 2014, 12:58

Today I got my copy via mail from england. Now I listened to the whole work , first in stereo and a second time in 5.1 sound. And here is my personal impression:

The complete album is a very enjoyable experience to me, with a lot of independent ideas that nearly always sounds as if Mike himself played them. Yes, there are often unique quotes from Mike's first albums, but they do not dominate the whole work.

I have to disagree with the impression that Rob Reed didnt include own ideas. Call it sometimes inspired variations, but mostly there are independent ideas, that brings me a lot of joy! I respect when someone rejects this album in principle, but perhaps some Oldfield fans could miss a great opportunity to be happy with this music.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 22 2014, 18:31

A little bit related to this thread, I always found it interesting that you can copyright notes but not sounds: for example very expensive pianos are sampled for free.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 23 2014, 09:29

Nezzico ,
Point taken , I hope you enjoy it for many years .
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 23 2014, 11:29

Side 2 is even better than Side one…… the 5.1 mix even better still.

If we all get hung up on the originality, instead of listening to the music….. we would have to bin a lot of bands….

Even Mike..who cannot do no wrong in my book…

What is the "unique/original" Mike….

Ommadawn…..????  
EArth Moving with its R'n"B songs.????
SOADE  with its Enigma complete lift…..  
TUB Bells 3 with all the dance lifts….
Euro TRANCE  of Light and Shade….
the last album with its AOR…..
Or the 80's when Mike donned his head band and Red strat and turned into Mark Knoffler…

What Im saying is that artists ALL steal ideas and sounds, and can do what they want…..AS LONG AS ITS DONE WELL with great tunes…count me in…..
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 23 2014, 13:48

I didn't think it was ever contested that Mike's first 4 albums are considered "classic Mike Oldfield."

Of course artists take ideas from other artists. But when I hear a piece and instantly think "marimba part from the end of Incantations 4" or "vocal chant from Ommadawn" it just sort of reminds me how much better the original was to begin with and ruins the experience. "Sanctuary" is to Mike first 4 albums what "Tubular Bells 2" was to the original.

I'm glad there are people though that are enjoying Mr. Reed's work. He is undoubtedly talented. And from here forth I will shut up and let people enjoy his music. :D
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 24 2014, 09:14

For those of you who know me and my work transcribing Mike's music, I was very fortunate to be asked by Rob to score out the entire Sanctuary album which was a fantastic experience and gave me an opportunity to hear the work evolve and develop over time.

Side 2 is my favourite and I would say that the emotional intensity of the finale is akin to Amarok.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
mart Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2014, 04:26

Finally somebody understand the feeling and the trilling to make a music piece so incredibly outstanding. I am overwhelmed - hear hear - to you Rob. I don’t understand that there are so many people who have an excuse to say any terrible word of your album. I ask myself why? What is the problem that you make an music piece that is so similar like Mike Oldfield in his best years. I think that the real diehard fans have to ask them self – what do we have had from mike himself over the last years – the reissues of his best albums, and o yes Man off the Rock but that is not an Oldfield album no trilling no nothing so bad and terrible. I played that album for one time and closed the boxed and placed in my cd shelve, and was ashamed to be an Oldfield fan. Over the last years I have looking for music artist composers who make music just like MO and be glad that there are some, Jose Manuel Guerra, Frank Dorittke and Miguel Angel de la Llave Jimenez Argengelus. I follow them and listened quiet some time now and they are fery good especially Miguel Engel. But now at last we have Robert who thatched   deeply my soul by hearing his piece of music Sanctuary thanks Rob.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2014, 04:56

Quote (mart @ Aug. 04 2014, 09:26)
Finally somebody understand the feeling and the trilling to make a music piece so incredibly outstanding. I am overwhelmed - hear hear - to you Rob. I don’t understand that there are so many people who have an excuse to say any terrible word of your album. I ask myself why? What is the problem that you make an music piece that is so similar like Mike Oldfield in his best years. I think that the real diehard fans have to ask them self – what do we have had from mike himself over the last years – the reissues of his best albums, and o yes Man off the Rock but that is not an Oldfield album no trilling no nothing so bad and terrible. I played that album for one time and closed the boxed and placed in my cd shelve, and was ashamed to be an Oldfield fan. Over the last years I have looking for music artist composers who make music just like MO and be glad that there are some, Jose Manuel Guerra, Frank Dorittke and Miguel Angel de la Llave Jimenez Argengelus. I follow them and listened quiet some time now and they are fery good especially Miguel Engel. But now at last we have Robert who thatched   deeply my soul by hearing his piece of music Sanctuary thanks Rob.

Hi Mart...
(at the risk of de-railing the thread), if you got the boxed set, then listen to Mike's DEMO recordings. In many places they are far superior to the 'final' album as the vocals contain more of an edge and definitely a lot more emotion... as it is MIKE singing about the things that made HIM write the songs...

(Espec. MoTR and Nuclear.)

Cheers!
Profile PM 
44 replies since June 14 2014, 05:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net