[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rite of man, What is it about?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 06:35

Any opinions?

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 06:51

It's a genre parody; "Here's to another folk cliché...". It's bloody funny too!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 17:23

I'd agree with larstangmark above. It's a funny song which makes sense exactly because of the fact that none of the lyrics make any sense. :D And then you have the obvious pun, i.e. "Speak up for the rite [RIGHT] of man", which IMHO sums it all up. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 18:38

One thing I absolutely love in that track, for some reason, is the abrupt, awkward ending. It's one of the things that nearly cracks me up on Mike Oldfield's music. I really like that song.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 05:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 26 2009, 18:38)
One thing I absolutely love in that track, for some reason, is the abrupt, awkward ending. It's one of the things that nearly cracks me up on Mike Oldfield's music. I really like that song.

Someone drops a tambourine and mumbles something...very weird ending. I also loved the fact that you could select in on many a jukebox in the mid 80s, causing public annoyance.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 08:18

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 27 2009, 11:52)
I also loved the fact that you could select in on many a jukebox in the mid 80s, causing public annoyance.

Well, in Italy you couldn't, as the B-side of "Moonlight Shadow", in its jukebox version, was Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days", anticipating its release on the Born on the USA album. So people were either rockin' to the Boss's tales of past glories, or chilling out [relatively!] to Mike and Maggie's weird, folk-drenched storytelling. But no one was speaking up for the right (or rite) of man, during that period. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 02 2009, 04:43

Hands up those who support the rite of man and celebrating the rite of passage denied men in the modern age to be proud of their status and not become metro sexuals or snags, a real man in every sense is what most of us gals want! viva rite of man!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 02 2009, 07:39

Quote (ex member 419 @ May 02 2009, 10:43)
Hands up those who support the rite of man and celebrating the rite of passage denied men in the modern age to be proud of their status and not become metro sexuals or snags, a real man in every sense is what most of us gals want! viva rite of man!

they are up!

I miss John Wayne
and I wish Clint Eastwood could return from the good old days, instead of this mellow shit he started with bridges to madison..

Shoot first, ask later, then shoot again   :cool:
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 02 2009, 16:18

Quote (ex member 419 @ May 02 2009, 04:43)
Hands up those who support the rite of man and celebrating the rite of passage denied men in the modern age to be proud of their status and not become metro sexuals or snags, a real man in every sense is what most of us gals want! viva rite of man! deb

Here's one who does not remove any body hair except when necessary!

Another thing:

Wasn't Mike's assitant Jeremy Parker credited as co-writer of this track? The lyrics?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 02 2009, 17:07

I'd say it's a pub pint of Guinness-oriented tune.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 02 2009, 20:54

Yes, I'm all man.  Except for the female bits.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 03 2009, 02:21

:p lol, lots of real guys here tati, very impressed! flex those pecs guys! deb
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 03 2009, 10:58

Mike's vocals are interesting because the sang the way he speaks,quite different voice if you compare with Heaven's Open songs!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 03 2009, 15:01

I must get my fiancee to work out a crazy dance routine for this song - it needs one!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 16:45

In Sankt Moritz, Switzerland 1984
(where I discovered an album called Discovery)
a deejay used to play Rite of Man right after In Dulci Jubilo.

Guess what: people were dancing the scottish on both.

The abrupt ending of the song makes me wonder
how Mike was thinking all of sudden: what the hell are we doing?
It brings the drunken Hornpipe on Boxed back in mind.

And I love the idea Jeremy Parker joined in on percussion and vocals.
Profile PM 
mercuryvapour Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2012, 22:03

Apologies for the resurrection of an old thread, but just discovered the site, and the ending does confuse me somwehat...

I originally knew this as the B side of Moonlight Shadow, which used a regular fade-out. I know, because I've just dug my version out, and am listening to it now!

Every other version I've heard since appears to have the awkward ending. Was it supposed to be like this? It's as if someone mastered it and forgot to fade it out, leaving the bit that normally extends after the fade. Did the 12" release have the "complete" version?
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2012, 03:11

Quote (mercuryvapour @ Aug. 22 2012, 22:03)
Apologies for the resurrection of an old thread, but just discovered the site, and the ending does confuse me somwehat...

I originally knew this as the B side of Moonlight Shadow, which used a regular fade-out. I know, because I've just dug my version out, and am listening to it now!

Every other version I've heard since appears to have the awkward ending. Was it supposed to be like this? It's as if someone mastered it and forgot to fade it out, leaving the bit that normally extends after the fade. Did the 12" release have the "complete" version?

My 7" version has the abrupt ending!

BTW thw way Mike sings on "Shiva" sounds a bit like this song (except this one is better).

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2012, 03:46

Another of Mikes , "Sea Shanty" come "Maypole Dance"  type ditty..   Yeah the Endings supposed to be Weird I Guess..  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 17:27

Quote (mercuryvapour @ Aug. 23 2012, 04:03)

I also have two versions of the 7'' (original UK print and red label/green label Italian print), and on both of them the song is interrupted on "Take your fortunes when you can..." followed by tambourines rattling and chinking. (Someone starts singing "Make", but doesn't quite make it! :D) I really think that the song was supposed to end like that, as it is consistent with its jokey nature. I've never heard anywhere a version with a fade-out. I really love this song also  because it almost sounds like a half-cover (an intentional one? an unintentional one?) of Jona Lewie's "Stop the Cavalry", which you can check out below here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOe18JcatZo

As for the vocals, yes, that's Mike's low-key, humble, relaxed voice à la "On Horseback". The vocal tone on "Shiva" is virtually identical.

--------------
Profile PM 
18 replies since Jan. 26 2009, 06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net