Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Riding high in the Amazon charts..., ...but where will debut?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2003, 05:39

I guess i am just not as picky as you guys,because like i said before i listen to it mostly in the car,but the fact i can't listen to it on the computer really does'nt bother me,there are plenty of other albums of Mike's that you can listen to on your computer,it's only because this is the new album that you want to listen to it all the time,but give it 6 months or so,and i doubt you'll be so bothered.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 08:21

WHAT????????????????????????????????????? Thats missing the point entirely. If I buy a CD (or anything else for that matter) I want it to work now, in six months and in six years. Where I play it and when I play it is irrelevant to the argument, I WANT IT TO WORK.
I can't believe so many fans I are so obsessed with MO they are willing to swallow any bullshit the record company put it out in his name, remember this has actualy little to do with Mike, although we must remember he could have veto'ed the whole copy protection idea, (I bet he will from now on) and everything to do with WEA taking us all for a ride. If that means boycotting  a MO release to get the message across so be it, I've had enough.

ps I don't listen to CD's on my computer I listen to them on a normal CD player and TB2003 still didn't play.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 08:53

that's weird,because it plays fine in my normal CD player!!!,but how do you know Mike did'nt ok all this anyway?.
And if this all Warners fault we should be writing,phoning,e-mailing etc them,and not punishing Mike as an artist by returning something which he put so much effort into.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 12:42

Well it doesn't play in my 'normal' CD player and I'm not the only one judging by other people's experiences.

Mike said in that Radio 2 interview that he was asked by WEA whether or not he wanted the copy protection feature, he agreed to have it.

People ARE telephoning, writing and emailing WEA with their disgust at copy protection but a lot of their efforts will just get brushed aside. THE ONLY course of action they will take notice of is taking the CD back so they in the end lose money.

Sorry Mike but all your effort's are going to waste because I can't listen to and enjoy you're CD, if you want to sell me you're music in the future you'd better make sure you give me something I can play.

I still can't believe there are fans out there who are so obsessed with Mike they are willing to put up with this sort of bullshit for him, don't they see that this is exactly what WEA want, not only regarding the copy protection issue but also the utter rip off that is that 'collectors item' TB aniversary box set.
Why do I come away from this thinking MO fans get treated like dirt?
Profile PM 
chris simmons
Unregistered

Posted: June 14 2003, 06:52

has anyone got Any idea of other chart positions fot TB 2003 around europe, for instance Germany?
dkaycom Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 08:06

Quote (Guest @ June 14 2003, 12:52)
has anyone got Any idea of other chart positions fot TB 2003 around europe, for instance Germany?

here are some actual chart-positions (or non-positions, anyway, they are from actual album-sales-charts)...

Switzerland:

1st week entry: 55
2nd week (goodbye?): 78

Germany: 2nd week: 54, after #29 as entry
amazon.de sales chart: #663
Austria,BE & NL: no under-50-entry so far....

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 08:11

Tubular Bells 2003 reached nr. 29 in Germany last week. This week, it is number 54.
In Spain, it's gone down to nr. 19.
In Czech republic, it is doing better this week :) . It has climbed up to nr. 7
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 14 2003, 11:09

It's ranked 204 on amazon.ca....if anyone cares lol.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2003, 17:44

On the copy protection...

I don't personally believe that Mike was told the whole story when he was asked whether he wanted it on the album or not.
I've looked at some of the literature from the protection system's current developers, Macrovision, and if you look at it unquestioningly, the system seems like a brilliant idea. Of course, it's full of half truths and neatly brushes over the fact that it's actually not very good news if it's put on your album.

As far as punishing Mike goes, I do have sympathy, but it's his problem - he chose the record company, and he agreed to have the copy protection system to be used on the album. If the decisions the record company are making on his behalf are not good ones, it's not up to the fans to sort that out - if Mike isn't happy because people are returning copies of his album, he must tell the record company that. If I was him, I'd be furious, but one thing I'd not expect is for fans to be putting up with faulty CDs.
What fans have to make sure of is that they're getting a fair deal, and not being taken advantage of. It's up to Mike to take care of his side of things, and if he carries on allowing the record company to release his albums in this format, it has to be taken as a sign that he doesn't mind if certain people don't buy it, because this type of copy protection is always going to exclude a certain percentage of the CD-buying public and he should have done enough research on the matter to know that.

The fact that Mike has worked hard on it is really part of the problem - he's worked on creating a top quality product, only to have Warner dumb it down by introducing lots of deliberate faults which they hope we'll be cloth eared enough not to notice.
Added to that, it seems the manufacturing in general hasn't been very carefully handled, with what may be quite high numbers of 2 and 4 disc sets containing the wrong discs (like CD+DVD sets actually containing 2 DVDs, and 'complete' sets with 2 copies of TB2) and various problems with the soundtrack on the DVD. I have never seen so many complaints regarding the manufacturing quality of any Mike Oldfield album as I have regarding Tubular Bells 2003, and considering that it should have been a release which the record company were excited about, I can only conclude that they really don't care any more.

If people want to support Mike, buy Music VR, send him presents, buy him a pint when you see him in the pub, but don't put up with any crap from the record company - they're a big enough company to be able to do much, much better.
Profile PM 
28 replies since May 28 2003, 05:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net