Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Riding high in the Amazon charts..., ...but where will debut?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gregrobson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 28 2003, 05:28

Here are the latest rankings on Amazon...

23 - Tubular Bells 2003 [3 CD + 1 DVD] [BOX SET]
26 - Tubular Bells 2003
36 - Tubular Bells 2003 + Bonus DVD

...with this in mind, where do people think it will debut in the Album charts? Remembering of course that places like HMV aren't really going to be plugging it greatly :(
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 28 2003, 07:39

HMV actually are plugging it quite well - they have large numbers of copies of the album on display amongst the new releases in the branches which I've been into.

I'd be surprised if it reaches number one (especially with the copy protection putting off certain customers :p), but it has a reasonable chance of climbing above 30. We shall see...
Profile PM 
chris simmons
Unregistered

Posted: May 28 2003, 09:05

I bought my copy in HMV on monday, but it was UPSTAIRS under the rock releases!

I hope it does ok because i happen to like the new version.

p.s the original was in the UK charts at the start of may, at #73. (thanks to the endless car ads no doubt!;)

lets hope TB 2003 fares better!
chris simmons
Unregistered

Posted: May 28 2003, 09:25

if you go to www.dotmusic.com,
its at #17 on the CDwow! charts, and box set is #45!
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 10:05

can you see success in general in Britain of the album from those positions on amazon.co.uk charts ..or can't they be compared?

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
chris simmons
Unregistered

Posted: June 03 2003, 10:18

Tubular bells 2003 has entered the uk charts at #51 :(
Juan Luis Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 12:41

I can't belive it, Tubular Bells 2003 is out from the TOP 10 for the first week of sales in Spain.
It is only number 13.  :/
What a hell is happenning?  :(

Check it at: http://www.los40.com/actualidad/listas/afyve.html

P.S. Cheking the other 12 make me getting ill. I don't understand anything.
Probably only Spanish people will understand this: All full of records from Operación Triunfo or even more the number 12 is the record from Hotel Glam! Unbelieveable. I-(
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 14:17

I'd think that one reason could be that people aren't really interested - partly because they don't see the point in a new recording of music they already have, and partly because they're just not so interested in the bells series any more, while another reason could be that the copy protection is putting people off buying it...
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 18:37

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 05 2003, 14:17)
and partly because they're just not so interested in the bells series any more, while another reason could be that the copy protection is putting people off buying it...

You have hit it right on the nose there on both accounts.

Lets have some new unique works by Mike without copy protection   :p

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 13:53

Quote (Juan Luis @ June 05 2003, 18:41)
I can't belive it, Tubular Bells 2003 is out from the TOP 10 for the first week of sales in Spain.
It is only number 13.  :/
What a hell is happenning?  :(

It is number 13 in Czech republic as well  :/

http://www.ifpicr.cz/
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 21:48

It's come and gone in the UK charts :(  It came in at 51 and now I can't find it anywehre in the Top 100. It's ridiculous!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
thevoyager Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 13:40

you are right.
It is not in the chart at all this week.
The fans have brought the album the first week, but most people are not really interested in a re recording.

it remains at 51 in places like HMV however.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 16:51

I continually find it amazing that a company like WEA will make the investment in releasing this album, and yet put NO effort into promoting it (in the UK), just as if they don't really want to sell it. Apparently there was one advert in Mojo magazine. I don't read Mojo so I didn't see that. Apart from that, there was a 1 star review in Q magazine. Pathetic.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 17:11

Yup you're not wrong there. I'm still utterly amazed that this Mike's 30th aniversary is going past without any word of a celebration in any shape or form, TB2003 aside. Uncut magazine gave Mike the the benefit of the doubt and awarded TB2003 a fair 3/5 star review and even included a (very) short interview.
I think it really is a case of people being utterly fed up of Mike doing TB albums, puttng the TB logo on the Mellenium Bell was I think probably the final nail in the coffin, it was such a cynical marketing ploy.
The fact that probably quite a few people, including some fans by the sounds of things, didn't even get the fact that it was supposed to be a straightforward rerecording and not a new album of 'Tubular Bells' material means that Mike just shot himself in the foot in more way's than one, and then of course there was the copy protection issue.

All in all I don't think this has been a high point in Mike's career and it's all the more sad considering it's his 30th aniversary. But at the end of the day this is all Mike's doing, this is how he wanted it, the decisions were all his.
I'm tempted to say maybe fans expect to much of him but I think they deserve more than this, especialy after spending 30 years buying his records and following his career, they certainly deserve more from both Virgin and WEA. The thing is if Mike wanted to he could release an album of raraties, live material and whatever else if he chose to, but he doesn't, he just doesn't seem interested by that sort of thing which is a shame for us I think.
At least Mike's done the Tube World, for those that like that sort of thing.
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 23:16

Looking forward to hearing the new album down here in Australia :cool:

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:28

The new album only got to 51 in the UK charts,what is that all about!!!,and the fact that a lot of you are taking the album back,will probably get Mike dropped from his label,fan loyalty eh!!!,but i do suspect that your not really taking it back,and even if you do,you will buy it again later when all this talk has died down,and were onto the next album!!!.
But i saw that Dominic Miller had released a new album of classical guitar covers,he is Sting's guitarist,and that album got to 34 i think,so,what the hell is going on with things.I read yesterday that Morrisey has signed to Santuary,this is a record label that signs older artists who still sell in big numbers,and the label is doing very well,so,maybe they should give Mike a call,i do feel Mike tried his very best with the new album,but what reall can a label based in Spain do for an artist living and working in England.Mike needs more exposure,and the fact that he is not doing a concert for Tubular Bells 2003 is a case in fact.I feel he needs to release another album by the end of this year or start of next,then do a massive World/Euopean tour,or he could be forgotton about.
The other thing that amazes me is that when Mike is interviewed,whoever the interviewer is,they are really happy and excited to meet him,and like the music,so,if more effort was made,then there is a market for the great man.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 10:05

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 11 2003, 13:28)
the fact that a lot of you are taking the album back,will probably get Mike dropped from his label,fan loyalty eh!!!

I'd rather release Mike's albums myself than give Warner money for their substandard products. I think I could probably even manage to get CDs manufactured which actually work in all CD players, and perhaps I could even manage to make sure that the press know that the album exists.
I'd also be prepared to launch his next album by holding a piss-up in a brewery, something I still challange Warner to do :D

Heck, I'll even produce the thing...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 12:38

Fan loyalty????????????????????????????????? If that means fans should get taken for a ride by the record company then count me out. Fan loyalty is exactly what WEA were taking the blatant piss out of with that utterly unimaginative 'collectors' (ha, ha) TB box set, personaly I think fans should boycott it. If WEA dropped Mike it would probably be one of the best things to happen to him, it should be encouraged I think.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 16:03

its because Tubular Bells isn't the popular music of the now. it was THE music back in 1973. now its "new age". people don't want to hear it. they want to see britney spears, maralyn manson, eminem, etc... just have to face the unfortunate fact that his music isn't worldwide popular like it used to be. :(

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 14:26

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 11 2003, 08:28)
and the fact that a lot of you are taking the album back,will probably get Mike dropped from his label,fan loyalty eh

You can only take fan loyalty so far. Why should we have shell out hard earned cash for a faulty product that won't play on all CD players and will probably become unplayable if it gets a small scratch.

Hell would have to freeze over before I bought and kept it (and that's the closest I've even come to buying a copy protected CD :D )

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
28 replies since May 28 2003, 05:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net