Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Richer Sounds giveaway< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 06 2009, 19:54

The people at UK Hi-Fi store Richer Sounds tell us that by signing up to their 'VIP Club' mailing list in June, you can win one of several Tubular Bells-themed prizes.

Top prize is a £1000 Cambridge Audio/Mordaunt Short hifi system, a signed ultimate edition, a t-shirt and a canvas print. Second prize is a deluxe edition, t-shirt and a print, and there are also 15 Mike Oldfield Collection CDs to be won.

More details on their website.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 06 2009, 19:58

:/ Open to UK residents only !
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 08:25

I never win anything, but registered anyway lol  :p

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 09:41

Too bad it's only for UK residents, but I don't mind so much. I already own Cambridge Audio equipment.  :cool:
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 09:44

Mike likes Cambridge Audio as well :-

Cambridge Audio

:)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 12:25

I`ve just bought a new amp from Richer Sounds,a Marantz.And they actualy tried to talk me into a Cambridge Audio one,which given that it`s one of their main suppliers is hardly surprising really.Anyway it was a £100 dearer,and without a phono stage.So I just thought "yeah I don`t think so fellas"!..They make some good stuff though,my cd player is Cambridge Audio and I love it to bits.And next on my hi-fi shopping list was some Mordaunt Short speakers oddly enough...God I hope I win..(flippin` nee chance man)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 12:56

I just saw the end of a TV ad on UK Sky News channel for the MO Collection version !  :D

Ex. Dr Who's Tom Baker was the voice over !!!

Damn ! I going to have to get the record button ready !!!

:(
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 13:06

I hope someone puts it on-line ASAP !!!!!!! :D
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 13:56

Just saw it again on the same channel but the end was slightly different with ASDA supermarket logo showing and Tom say ' ...the perfect gift for Father's Day'  :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 16:08

Quote (HuanCry @ June 07 2009, 09:44)
Mike likes Cambridge Audio as well :-

Cambridge Audio

:)

Well i would recommed better equipment. CD from EMM Labs, amp Audia Flight, speakers Wilson Benesh.  But it has only one drawback. Some would need to sell house and maybe a car.  :p
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 17:24

Quote (HuanCry @ June 07 2009, 19:56)
Just saw it again on the same channel but the end was slightly different with ASDA supermarket logo showing and Tom say ' ...the perfect gift for Father's Day'  :)

That sounds familiar!

The commercial for the virgin best of tubular bells collection was also on British TV back in 2000 with the line "... the perfect gift for Father's day".

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 07 2009, 18:06

The concept of the Ad was not particularly original. A shiny metal tube rises just offshore viewed from a beach echoing the TB cover pic and gradually forms its shape into the TB symbol as it traverses across various landscapes while the names of Mike's hits are flashed across the screen and coresponding samples are played i.e. TB , In dulci Jubilo , Porsmouth , Family Man, Blue Peter and Moonlight Shadow

Tom says ' ..an artist like no other' and near the end he more correctly says ' the Bells are back ' rather than 'the bell is back ' as in the promotional stuff we've had prior .
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 13:12

Tubular Bells re-generated once again,I guess Tom Baker was the kind of perfect choice really.I`m quite sure that all Dad`s of a certain age will be able to overlook the passe post modernistic irony involved.Davros and the Daleks never seem to go away either.  

I went into my local Tescos today and they had "Mike Oldfield The Collection" at number 13 in their charts.Except really of course it`s just Tubular Bells is`nt it,with this kind of bonus "introductary" disc they`ve thrown in with it.I mean what I`m saying is,is this what Tubular Bells is going to look like in the future?Or after a given period of time will Universal just return the cover to it`s original form,and forget about the bonus disc althogether?If only I had a Tardis... Either way it could get very confusing for anybody just starting out to purchase Mike`s back catalogue.Speaking as someone who already has all of these albums and more,even I`m bloody confused!

Nice to see Mike back in the charts again though..Be interesting to see where it figures in the "real" chart.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 14:19

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 08 2009, 13:12)
Speaking as someone who already has all of these albums and more,even I`m bloody confused!

Hear Hear :D  

To be perfectly honest, I'm ready for something brand new from Mike, it doesn't have to be anything particularly grand - just a new tune please. He could rattle something off in a week on his Apple Mac - I'm sure. Compilations bore me.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 05:31

Wiga,I`m sure everybody here would love something new from Mike but at the end of the day it`s entirely up to him what he wants to do.That said,when Universal said that this new release of TB needed to be done anyway,and that they were throwing in this bonus disc as a kind of introduction to new fans etc.Well to be honest I just kind of thought "yeah fair enough,makes sense to me".

But now all those questions as to why they were releasing it on June 8th rather than a couple of weeks earlier would appear to be answered.Mike Oldfield The Collection just in time for Father`s Day.Put out a TV add and bang it into the supermarkets pronto.Do Universal even care that probably at least half of those "Dads" wont even take the bloody cellophane off???..No of course they don`t..And even the ones that do,and then listen to it more than once maybe.."Oh yeah it sounds pretty good this,I think I`ll check out the bonus disc"  :O  :O  :O ..I mean what in the creation of crow`s shite that bonus disc is about I`ve absolutely no idea.As compilations go "it`s neither nowt nor summit" as we say round these parts.Frankly it looks like the kind of thing you`d see given away in a sunday newspaper,and then lost in the midsts of the paper rack of oblivion.But then TB itself has already had that treatment anyway,much to Mike`s dis-satisfaction.

And then aside from all that there will undoutably be a large number of people familiar with Tubular Bells.(Many of whom will have been fans of Mike at one time or another)...Well yeah they`re gonna` see this TV ad, or glimpse it in the supermarket as I did yesterday.And they are either gonna laugh out loud,or roll their eyes into the tops of their foreheads in sheer and utter dis-belief no doubt about it.The fact of the matter is the people at Universal must surely be aware of that.Because if they`re not,then quite frankly they`re living in cloud cuckoo land.

All I hope for is that some of the "dubious sales" from this re-issue will go some way into "helping" the label`s interest with the rest of the re-releases forthcoming.Perhaps that was their intentions all along maybe?.  :/
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 12:45

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 09 2009, 05:31)
 :O  :O  :O ..I mean what in the creation of crow`s shite that bonus disc is about I`ve absolutely no idea...

:laugh:  :laugh:

Well my point is that I think Mike needs to notice what's going on here (if he doesn't already), or else Fanny ought to elbow him in the ribs. It doesn't make sense that Universal have all the power and control - I don't believe they have. Mike must have influence if he wants to assert it.

I'm easy to please, I know that much when it comes to Mike Oldfield. The deal is - he makes the music and I will buy it, whatever it is, even if it's composed in one weekend - that will be good enough for me. However, I'm not going to buy stuff I've already got.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
neildmanthorpe Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 06:54

Quote (wiga @ June 09 2009, 17:45)
Mike must have influence if he wants to assert it.

...if he wants to assert it.

I think that is the big question.  Reading the interview in the "Telegraph" I think he is simply happy to live in a beautiful place with his family and do things he has wanted to do for years.  And why not?

But I think we should also lower our expectations of anything to come in the future - lots of exploitation of the back catalogue with "new" mixes and modest amounts of "new" material from the archive.  And very little actual new material at all - whether years in gestation or knocked off in half-an-hour.

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese .........
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 07:28

[quote=wiga,June 09 2009, 17:45][/quote]
or else Fanny ought to elbow him in the ribs.

Yeah Mike`s carrying a little bit extra padding round the old rib-cage these days,maybe she needs to "nudge" a little harder.."Compact" indeed heh heh..One thing`s for sure I`m guessing Voyager 2 is out the window.

Fair comment there neildmanthorpe btw.Mike has given us so much great music it`s true,but I still can`t help wanting something new.There`s plenty of time left yet for him I think..Who`s to say his greatest work still is`nt yet to come?..I guess that`s maybe further down the line than we`d wish though as you say.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 13 2009, 21:19

I was passing by a Richer Sounds the other day and stopped to look inside because they had a big TB poster. Inside the store almost all the televisions were showing the visualisations from the DVD.

I took a picture on my mobile phone.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 11:36

Cool Matt!!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
20 replies since June 06 2009, 19:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net