Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Revisited, Female Vocals< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 25 2021, 23:53

I used to think TB3 was one of my least favorite MO albums; previously I'd play only "Top of the Morning" and "Moonwatch". Listening to it again after a while, however, I realise that I actually like much more of it than I thought (for example, "The Watchful Eye"). What I DON'T like are the female vocals; they spoil it, in my opinion; they're either whiney or shrieky (a la Claire Torry).
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: May 30 2021, 11:13

MO usually has a very pure, clear, resonant female voice with virtually no vibrato - singers singing from their chest, not their throats or, god help them, their nose. (my mother was an opera singer when young, she used to get me to do breathing lessons.) maria callas's voice used to be superb. after onassis, who essentially forced her to diet down, it no longer was. shrieky and whiney are not desirable in any female voice - except perhaps janis joplin,(for all you hoary old fans who know who that is LOL)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 30 2021, 21:27

Boney Tiler is the obvious exception - but I think her vocals work well on "Islands".
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: May 30 2021, 23:06

bonnie tyler has a great voice - yes, she's the exception as her voice adds a dimension the pure sopranos can't. makes me wonder whether MO would have asked joplin to collaborate, had she been alive. thoughts?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 31 2021, 00:12

I think the reason BT's voice is effective is that she already sounds like someone washed up on a desert island, parched with thirst  :laugh:

I'm not very familiar with the oeuvre of Janis J, but from what I've heard I imagine she'd be suitable too.

Of course a male voice would have been even better.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 01 2021, 05:19

I think Mike has used various female singers throughout his work and they all bring something new, starting with his sister Sally, who has a unique voice, I also love the voices of Maggie Reilly and Anita Hegerland, and Hayley Westenra's voice was perfect for On My Heart.
Profile PM 
5 replies since May 25 2021, 23:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net