Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Reviews, Reactions, etc., Concert, DTS, Tracklist ect.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 26 2006, 11:35

I don't know if anyone agrees, but ommadawn is one of my fave MO tracks but I just don't enjoy the live versions of it. The beauty of the piece dosen't really come out and it all gets a bit messy sometimes. Maybe its just me, you cant recreate perfection really can you?

That drum solo though? Far too long, i had to skip that coz it was just too much I'm afraid to say!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 12:43

Quote (ThisName @ May 26 2006, 16:35)
That drum solo though? Far too long, i had to skip that coz it was just too much I'm afraid to say!

Ah yes. Drum solos.

Did anyone (except the drummer) ever enjoy those?
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 15:58

yes I did, I absolutely loved them.  On the 1980 tour there were 3 drummers and it was fantastic.  

Mind you, at the time I was a drummer!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 16:28

Quote (captainjjb @ May 26 2006, 20:58)
Mind you, at the time I was a drummer!

Wonderful response! Though I think that possibly disqualifies you....  :laugh:

(Where's the BigBellEnd? He'll love this.)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 26 2006, 17:19

Quote (Herc @ May 25 2006, 03:48)
Taurus I intro (in which Mike plays mandolin) seems much longer than the studio version?

He plays the mandolin on that song? I thought he played a bozouki on the studio version, or am I wrong? Was it a mandolin to begin with?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 05:27

Quote (Alan D @ May 26 2006, 18:43)
Did anyone (except the drummer) ever enjoy those?

OF COURSE !!! I just LOVE live solos performed by Morris Pert or Simon Phillips. The longer the better :D. I think this might be a matter of quality of the stereo equipment which one is using - you certainly won't take much pleasure from listening to this from a computer speakers for instance (but I think this regards every kind of music, not only insane drum solos).

I also do not agree that live Ommadawn versions are much worse than the original. I like both of them, and to be honest, I listen to live versions more often. There's much more "fire" in them IMHO.

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 05:30

And I must add, that I never was a drummer.

OK, I played for some time with automatic percussion (software emulators of Roland TR-808), but I don't think that makes me a drummer :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 09:20

Quote (amazarak @ May 27 2006, 10:27)
I think this might be a matter of quality of the stereo equipment which one is using.

No, truly, it isn't a quality issue. For me, they make each minute seem like an hour when live, and they have the same effect when recorded, no matter how well reproduced.

I played for some time with automatic percussion (software emulators of Roland TR-808), but I don't think that makes me a drummer

Well, I'm not so sure...... :laugh:

Where the heck is TheBigBellEnd when you need him? This is his kind of discussion!
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 10:18

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ May 22 2006, 23:04)
Mirage is my live favourite... and he does make a pedal mistake too there... but that doesn't disturb very much I think... I like it all the same ...  :cool:  :music:

HAHA me too!! :music:

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 10:58

Quote (Alan D @ May 27 2006, 15:20)
No, truly, it isn't a quality issue. For me, they make each minute seem like an hour when live, and they have the same effect when recorded, no matter how well reproduced.

As I understand, You find such solos boring. Sound quality is the first explanation that comes to my mind. This is because I love listening to music when I can hear every detail of the sound. When I can point with my finger where particular drums stand, hear their sometimes very slightly different sound, hear what the drummer uses to hit them (gosh, don't know their english names :) ). When I hear all of this, such solo may take ages, and I never got bored with it. Of course, to take maximum pleasure the recording must be adequately good (on an official dvd it should be good enough, unfortunately very few bootlegs satisfy this condition) and the equipment must be able to reproduce it. For those who have never listened to a *real* stereo, I strongly advise to do that. But beware - it's addicting :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 11:33

We do a drumsolo with my band, but I think I like that one, because it lasts about just over a minute, not like 5  ;)
also all four of us go drumming (our guitarist has a cowbell) and our singer (who's a better drummer than the drummer himself ;) ) has this big oil drum thing, which is marvellous. But on recorded concerts I find them a bit interesting, but not if it goes on too long.
but in songs I think the drums should just do what they are for, keeping the beat going, and I don't like drummers doing these complicated breaks all the time. I like drums to be simple.  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: May 31 2006, 11:01

Quote (ian @ May 20 2006, 11:41)
I am so stunned by the speed and complexity of his playing. The sailor's hornpipe just amazed me. I can play it on mandolin but not that fast. It's almost supernatural.

You know i find platinum pt ii very complicated o play as oi learnt it by ear, its REALLY awkward and i loves watching mike do it because he didnt make it look effortless, in fact he made it look as hard as i find it!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 07 2006, 08:59

This DVD simply rocks!!!!

I'd love to see Mike live again that way,not like TB II and III Premieres...full of energy and it's really really catchy...not only I like most tunes from the set,but the way all the tunes were played it's just ab fab!

And I did watch Punkadiddle first...not just because of the fact Mike is shirtless,but his solo...wow  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 05:11

Yes, new DVD is really great. Very energetic, and we have so much guitar here... Ans it's more than 100 minutes! Absolutely great, I don't care about mistakes, nobody's perfect. We have so much brilliant music here, I'm delighted, as always.

But TB II is still the most beautifull concert form me. The greatest of the greatest. But yes, Edinburgh (or London) and Montreux (or Knebworth) are alternative ways of expression, both just fantastic.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: June 10 2006, 16:03

I think Conflict is my favourite track on the DVD - such energy and wonderful playing
 Nah, thats the weakest of them all for me.

I love the sweeping synth effect that Tim uses to join Taurus 1 to the "work in progress" Taurus 2. I am sure its the same sound Dollar used (or should I say the people who made their records) on Shooting star. Awesome sound.
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 24 2006, 17:59

Got my copy of live in Montreaux yesterday and think that it's a quality show.  I especially like the version of Ommadawn and Tubular Bells part 2.  Great Guitar playing throughout!
Profile PM 
AmarokFae Offline

Posted: June 30 2006, 00:13

Just got my copy in the mail today. I love it. The only things I don't like.... NO TUBULAR BELLS IN TUBULAR BELLS???? Kinda sacreligious, isn't it? I did like Maggie's ooohing and such in TB to relpace some parts, but some of those parts would've been better if she, well, stayed silent? Other than that, LOVE IT!! Mike's face during Punkadiddle... such power! Ok, gotta go watch the rest now. (only had time to skim through TB 1 & 2 and punkadiddle after I got it, then I had to leave for work...)

--------------
*+*Faerie Kisses*+*
Profile PM WEB 
Old Mikefield Offline

Posted: July 10 2006, 12:29

Quote (Jools @ May 24 2006, 14:52)
Maggie does seem to be a bit of a sulker. At one point (can't just recall which piece) Mike goes out of his way to overtly applaud her efforts, perhaps recognising she needed a bit of a lift or ego-massaging

I think Conflict is my favourite track on the DVD - such energy and wonderful playing. It's a piece that often gets forgotten but it takes on a life of its own when performed live.

I completely agree she looks a poe-faced misery throughout the entire concert, completely unsmiling and flouncing off the stage after every limp warbling session, kinda embarrasing actually, cant understand why mike was so loyal to her, i never thought she was that great anyway.

--------------
Live each day as if it were your last, for one day you're sure to be right.
My Music Projects > HTTP://www.morehuman-thanhuman.com
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 10 2006, 12:37

Since we're on the subject of Maggie, I must say that although the concert was great otherwise, I really really hated Maggie's singing. It just didn't work with the music at all, somehow most of the time she sounded to my ears off-tempo, off-key and (compared to the originals) far too high in the mix. If anything, I'd love to have a Maggie-free version of the concert.
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 10 2006, 15:44

I made myself a two CD set of this DVD, and it hasn't left my CD player. I enjoy it more as just audio as a DVD! i think Maggie's singing is great on Platinum+QE2 & Ommadawn she did on the concert, but I don't like the Tubular Bells stuff she sang. Oh well. I still love this concert.
Profile PM WEB 
48 replies since May 20 2006, 07:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net