Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Reviews, Reactions, etc., Concert, DTS, Tracklist ect.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2006, 17:16

Yeah, it can be just heard, indeed.
yeah, I agree about maggie...
I was a bit disappointed in her anyway, after seeing this dvd...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 17 2006, 19:41

I finally found enough spare cash in the kids piggy-banks and under the car seat to get the DVD. WOW! This took me back.

I have had a tape from the tour for years together with my own scribbled notes of the track list from the show I saw, and the stand out all those years ago was "everyone on drums AND a drum machine". So I really appreciated seeing Maurice and even Rick on the Ommadawn finale. Strange to remember that Mike was always at the cutting edge of music technology when you see such even then.

The picture quality is a bit poor, set lighting aimed at the TV camera's and Maggie is pissed off by something - probably not being allowed to use her own lyrics?

But this is Mike at his peak, and a band any artiste would be proud to play with. Tight, energetic and talented. Mike allowed the band to play and it seems to me they were all slightly in awe of him (notice Tim watching him and smiling). Compare this with the note perfect but soul-less TB2/3 shows.

The best DVD of Mike I've seen by far.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 19 2007, 01:45

Quote (ian @ May 20 2006, 06:41)
I am so stunned by the speed and complexity of his playing.

Someone I watched this with made the comment, "How can he remember all those notes??"

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2008, 19:32

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 19 2007, 01:45)
Quote (ian @ May 20 2006, 06:41)
I am so stunned by the speed and complexity of his playing.

Someone I watched this with made the comment, "How can he remember all those notes??"

Ha ha - yes, my kids said the same when we watched it for the first time last night.

Must say I found it all very enjoyable.

I was a bit hesitant after reading the comments about the vocals, but they weren't TOO bad in my view - just average compared to the rest which was outstanding.

Particularly liked the final encore.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 05 2009, 12:48

A bit late to the party with this one, but I've only just watched this - and Exposed as well - for the first time the other night, despite them both sitting on my shelf for absolutely ages!

Of the two concerts, I enjoyed the Montreux one the most as it seemed to be more exciting and vibrant. I found it more involving somehow, perhaps because the camerawork tended to focus more on the actual musicianship as opposed to say, showing us a bunch of Pan's People boogeying away in a rather self-conscious manner  :laugh:  (Yeah, 'Guilty' indeed!  :O )

Yes, there were mistakes. Notably Mike's stumble during Ommadawn which made me wince slightly (and there was a slight glimmer of that reaction from MO himself, but he quickly recovered his composure). The novelty drumming section maybe went on a tad too long. All in all though it was enormously entertaining and Mike seemed far more relaxed and confident here than he did at the '79 gig. Even as far as teasing the crowd at the end with his guitar playing - which was fantastic. I really loved that bit  :D

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 17:46

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ May 05 2009, 12:48)
Yes, there were mistakes. Notably Mike's stumble during Ommadawn which made me wince slightly

I'm not entirely convinced this was Oldfield's mistake. It appears that his guitar cut out for a few seconds- you can see that he is still playing though you don't hear any notes.

I'm thinking that this was possibly caused by a faulty cable or some type of electronic problem, or that one of his roadies backstage screwed up changing guitar settings for that section. Of course it is perfectly possible that Mike simply messed up, but judging from the look on his face, and the fact that you can see he doesn't stop playing convinces me it may have been caused by something else.

For the record, if you pay attention, you'll notice Mike's guitar short out a couple of times before that section in Ommadawn.
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 17:47

EDIT

Double post, sorry.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 20:56

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ May 23 2006, 19:58)
Yes, I can surely forgive Mike for his mistakes, it's just it HAD to be in Ommadawn.. I'd rather 432 mistakes in Tubular Bells or something.. Anybody know why Maggie Reilly ALWAYS has her right hand up to her ear when singing(mumbling)?

Probably coral ear  :laugh:
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2012, 12:37

Quote (ian @ May 23 2006, 14:09)
Did you perhaps miss Ommadawn?

Yes but he can be forgiven for that. Try playing it and you will see what i mean. I don't think even Mike could manage that now or the sailor's hornpipe. He had to slow that down to half speed for the remake of Tubular Bells. I know because he told me so on his webchat when I asked him.

Oh, those modern music cheats who can't play properly live and have to resort to trickery. They are the scourge of music, I tell ya.

This probably needs one of these - ;)

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
48 replies since May 20 2006, 07:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net