Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: REVIEWS of Man On The Rocks, Post your review and/or read others here< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
El Mystico Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2014, 13:48

It's so interesting: trying to assess where this will sit in history's retrospective of his career.
For me, this is a bit like Woody Allen. I love Woody. I don't think he's made a bad film (except Stardust Memories). But with films like Blue Jasmine, Match Point, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, somehow this old man is back on form.
For me, Mike moving away from the electronics of Tres Lunas and Light and Shade, and back to the electrics of MOTR, with the associated guitar solos, is a refreshing breath of life. (I do like Tres Lunas and Light and Shade - but for me this has more life in it).
I think several of the songs are some of the best he's written.
And the guitar solos are uniformly wonderful - although each has such a different feel.  
For me the weakest track is Following The Angels. But there, I find the demo better. Maybe something was lost in the translation.
And I love the fact that he is already working on the prequel to Tubular Bells.  This man is out of retirement.
How can we thank Danny Boyle and Caroline Monk enough?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2014, 15:41

can you imagine how good Irene would (will) be, live! Just saying'  ;)

it's not like anything he's ever done before, this album.

i think it will do well in America

I've only heard it once through so far, it will be on again, and again, and again I think...wonderful

So good to hear the guitars again Mike.
:cool:

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2014, 17:07

At first listen, I was about to quit halfway through. But I endured the whole album, thinking I only liked 'Following the angels'. My hopes hadn't been high anyway (as it wasn't an instrumental album), so no real disappointment there.

Next day, I noticed I was humming 'Sailing' constantly. So I played the album again. And again. And again. And what great fun it is!

The master of complexity has turned into the master of simplicity, and I love him for it. Thank you Mike for adding another source of pure joy to your catalogue - which is becoming ever more varied.

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 00:45

Viewing all the reviews posted in this thread I can see I´m not alone!

I'm a Mike´s heavy fan, and always try to take people to his work, because he es outstanding and very unique, doing music and tricks never seen or not very usual. And, if he makes something "Popular" or "common", it does specially, with his touch and with a very gorgeous twist. But in this ocassion he dispointed me a little bit. When I was reading the sneak peeks and info for the outcoming album, i was thinking "maybe will be like Earth Moving: no instrumental or experimental, only commercial-like music". And it was. Things I read on this post, like the fact of all the songs sung by one singer quit variety, or the fact that Mike needed to say something in the songs, I'm totally agree.

But I don't give a complete dislike. Mike feels fresh and modern, clearing out the way to be more popular and consequently more people knowing him. Moonshine, MOTR, Castaway, Nuclear and Chairots are the best. And that pass to a minor chord in Dreaming in the Wind is curious...

But unfortunately, getting here in Mexico is nearly impossible. It's more easy going to Mordor. No record store known of its existence, and ordering in online stores like Amazon or the Universal one, with aduanas and stuff is a headache. I asked for a friend of mine who was visiting USA for bringing me a copy.

In summary: 5 out of 10. Maybe I need to hear it several times in order to like it more.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 01:46

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 07 2014, 06:31)
Quote (El Mystico @ Mar. 06 2014, 19:52)
He then defines progressive as 1) Longer songs; 2) Long Instrumental passages;3) More complex instrumentation. 4) More complex conceptual ideas.

If you listen to some of the stuff Prog Magazine (formerly Classic Rock presents Progt's progressive from the new bands out there...they don't fit in the description at all.

I'm still listening to MOTR to write a proper review. Defo not a prog rock album...

Firstly, read THIS which is referring to the definition of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC in general and not just PROGRESSIVE ROCK or otherwise (which is nothing to do with what I have been talking about):

DEFINITION OF PROGRESSIVE MUSIC

You should note that ALL of the crtiteria that I have listed in my description are listed within the definition of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC

Secondly, I am NOT and have never been stating that MOTR is PROGRESSIVE to the extent that it possesses ALL the criteria that define PROGRESSIVE MUSIC... it only possesses SOME, not many but SOME nonetheless, my singular point being that it is these PROGRESSIVE COMPONENTS and NOT the fact it is PROGRESSIVE (which it ISN'T) that means the INSTRUMENTAL versions do not sound like KARAOKE but stand very well in their own right as INSTRUMENTAL pieces.  ;)

Let me put it this way, a HORSE born with black and white striped patterning is NOT a ZEBRA, but shares some but not all of the characteristics of a ZEBRA. Similarly MOTR is NOT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC but shares some but not all of the characteristics of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC. This does NOT mean that it is PROGRESSIVE MUSIC.

In particular please kindly note the following quote from that link which defines PROGRESSIVE MUSIC: "All genres of music can have progressive characteristics"

I repeat: "All genres of music can have progressive characteristics"  

MOTR posseses some PROGRESSIVE CHARACTERISTICS; however it is NOT in fact even close to being truly PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, and I have never in fact stated that it is... Seriously, it is not 'ALL OR NOTHING'... just because I happen to use the word PROGRESSIVE adjectivally in the manner that I have does NOT automatically mean I am calling it PROG ROCK or any other type of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, OK? :)
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 05:30

Without thinking it too much, these are my thoughts after having listened to the album several times:

Sailing
+2 It's such a happy song

Moonshine
+3 Absolutely beautiful chorus and I really like the celtic vibe

Man on the rocks
+1 Quite alright, not so sure about the out-of-tune screaming in the end

Castaway
+/- 0 I don't really like it or hate it

Minutes
+1 Quite nice, but not mind blowing

Dreaming in the wind
+1 Is it Dire Straits? No it's Mike Oldfield! Quite nice.

Nuclear
+2 Quite emotional and balances the album in a way

Chariots
+3 Awesome! Makes me wanna crank up the volume and it's a great choice to follow "Nuclear". This is the only track on which I paid any attention to the bass, so I hope it's Leland Sklar playing.

Following the angels
-1 Somehow I find those modulations "falling down" (Heh...) a bit annoying. Otherwise it's quite a beautiful song, but a bit boring actually. In some occassions I might consider fast forwarding to the next track.

Irene
+1 Is it Deep Purple? No it's Mike Oldfield! It's simple, it rocks. Alright.

I give myself away
+1 Cute. Is this the first ever Oldfield track to feature a Rhodes piano?

I haven't really paid much attention to the lyrics.

All in all it seems that I like the album. There are nice musical ideas and production wise there are no any awkward bad decisions like maybe on Tr3s Lunas and Light & Shade. It has some tracks that I really really like.

I think that working with a producer and guest musicians was a good idea. Not saying that Mike never has great ideas production wise. Of course he has.  :)

I'm still waiting for my deluxe edition to hear the demos. That's going to be interesting...

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 06:05

Translation:
- The tax office
- This tax form is awfully long and complex!
- Well, this is progressive taxation.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 06:23

small point, but, isn't it a shame that in the CD case, there is a lovely photograph of Mike totally obscured by the nasty plastic star that holds the cd in place.  Surely someone could have done something about that?!

Castaway is becoming a favourite, just so sad though when you get an idea what it's about.

I think I'm going to have to get the instrumental version too next pay day - wish i'd gone for the deluxe now! :/

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 09:13

Quote (Markus K. @ Mar. 08 2014, 05:30)
All in all it seems that I like the album. There are nice musical ideas and production wise there are no any awkward bad decisions like maybe on Tr3s Lunas and Light & Shade. It has some tracks that I really really like.

I think that working with a producer and guest musicians was a good idea. Not saying that Mike never has great ideas production wise. Of course he has.  :)

I'm still waiting for my deluxe edition to hear the demos. That's going to be interesting...

Yesteday I've relistened to the whole album after having listened to Islands and Discovery, and I was just thinking how flat and banal MOTR production sounds in comparison, and I've concluded that is because Mike is not playing most of the instruments (unlike past albums) and is not completely in charge of production, so being unable to put all that little ideas that made all of his past tracks/songs briliant and "full of music", sometimes despite the simplicity of the song itself.

Many times during MOTR I find myself "filling-in" with counterpoints and "musical responses" of guitars or synths in many places where there is only a strolling guitar, a simplistic bass line and a static synth chord... not really the typical features of Mike's music, which usually conversely surprises me with many little musical ideas during a song.

After several listenings to MOTR, even the weird Light+Shade seems much more "Oldfield-true" to me.
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 14:01

post deleted
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 14:06

I've only listened to each CD once, so maybe I'll post a full review later, but I have a very positive feeling about this album so far. While less complex style than usual, I can still feel a lot of emotions and energy in the music. There are also many nice guitar solos, and the lyrics of the title track are particularly clever.

In many parts, I think the bonus tracks with Mike singing are even better than the final tracks. His own performance (voice, as well as playing all instruments except drums) is very good. There are some notable differences - maybe the working title of Moonshine was "Whiskey"? ;) I also like that the vocals appear less up front. I wonder though why Mike changes his accent from British to American when singing (that also applies to Heaven's Open for example). Is that part of rock culture?
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2014, 16:07

Finally got the box set today. Ordered it from Amazon in Germany (as Universal had sold out) where it was not released till yesterday, and by the very next day it had reached me in Northern Scotland. Excellent service.

For someone who loves Mike for his Instrumental music, like many of his fans do, (lets face it one of the things that sets Mike apart from the majority of artists), I had reservations about an album with vocals on all tracks. But after listening to the CD I am very impressed, its uplifting, varied, and with great catchy melodies and some great guitar solos. The packaging and cover artwork are excellent too.

I like both the vocals and instrumental versions. Each have their own merits. After listening to both CD's twice I listened to the bonus CD, with Mike's singing. In one word, the bonus CD its brilliant! So glad I got the box set. Don't get me wrong I like Luke's singing, but all too often in many of the songs Luke's singing is too loud and its hard at times to hear Mike's guitar playing. Whereas on the bonus CD, the singing is less in your face and their is a better balance between the musics and vocals.

I can see me playing this a lot - a great album - well done Mike.

Yeah I still prefer TB, HR, Ommadawn and Amarok. But this is refreshingly different and it sounds like Mike enjoyed making it, which will hopefully mean this is far from being his last CD.

:)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2014, 17:56

This is so beautiful. I don't listen to this kind of music at all these days but...
This is like a lost album from somewhere 1984-88 when Mike wrote great songs, hired great singers and hired top musicians who played instruments.
Normally, I am man with very leftfield taste in music. But I think that after his "golden years" Mike has been far more succesful writing pop/rock than doing instrumentals.
TSODE & Millenium Bell were the real clunkers. Discovery, Earth Moving and Man on the Rocks - so many magical moments! :-)

The singer's not half bad. The guy who sang Magic Touch was way worse.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2014, 18:36

Having heard the short clips prior to this album's release, I thought I'd be the one who hated it the most. This album is superb! My fav. songs are the title song, Nuclear and Chariots. Least fav. would be Irene. Sounds like a slight attempt to sound like the Stones "Honky Tonk Women". But as a whole it is a superb album and I'm very happy. Having read most of this thread I don't agree for any need to have the kareoke versions of the songs. Luke's vocals are fine and he delivers exactly what was needed for each song. The title track(my fav) reminds me of a solo album by David Gilmour circa early 80's. The screaming at the end with the guitars is the climax of the album for me. Luke is pitch perfect doing that. Great job Mike and co!!!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2014, 19:20

TSODE clunker? Ok, now I've read all...
Profile PM 
Robiq Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2014, 20:07

Well, I've listen to Mike's new album from few days. First impression was: damn, all the songs are similar. But after second play this impression was gone. I think it's good album. Don't compare this with TB, TSODE or any others. Plesae accept that this is completly new music, at last without echoes of Tubular Bells, some may like, some may not like. My two favourite tracks are "Dreaming In The Wind", and "Chariots".

--------------
Robiq
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 02:39

Quote (knife edge @ Mar. 09 2014, 19:20)
TSODE clunker? Ok, now I've read all...

I couldnt agree more! TSODE is one of my favourite albums :-D
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 05:24

Quote (scienceguy @ Mar. 04 2014, 07:08)
Album is as good as The Songs Of Distant Earth, which many (including me) have considered to be Mike’s best work of the past 20 years. No kidding!

that's funny

even though I like that album, it's hardly considered by many as a standout album.

About the album: Nuclear is pretty good
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 05:49

Quote (oldfield_fan @ Mar. 08 2014, 18:06)
I wonder though why Mike changes his accent from British to American when singing (that also applies to Heaven's Open for example). Is that part of rock culture?

For example,you've got people like Phil Collins who sing with a British accent.I don't know,maybe for these songs Mike thought American accent would fit best to their musicality and how the songs flows while you're listening.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 09:00

Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 10 2014, 05:24)
Quote (scienceguy @ Mar. 04 2014, 07:08)
Album is as good as The Songs Of Distant Earth, which many (including me) have considered to be Mike’s best work of the past 20 years. No kidding!

that's funny

even though I like that album, it's hardly considered by many as a standout album.

About the album: Nuclear is pretty good

:O TSODE is one of the greatest Mike's instrumental album. Different from his standards, but marvellous in melodies and production. Magellan is one of the best piece of music I've ever heard.
Profile PM 
100 replies since Mar. 04 2014, 07:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net