Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Return To Ommadawn to be released January 20, 2017< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Black Bunik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 12:59

Nope it isn't. I feel like Return to Ommadawn is not a label the album deserves. Mike tried to return, but got stuck half way.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 13:33

I like the album and I'm so proud to be a MO fan :) the title feels right to me too. The cover doesn't feel right to me, I think Virgin EMI tries to capitalizes on the success of Nuclear amongst video game players?
I found he is returning to TB too, melody wise. The downwards progression in part 2 at 16:05and 17:02 for example. Actually a little bit like a return to a lot of bits I like in his past albums. Vangelis last album, Rosetta, is a bit in the same spirit. I like RTO much better though!
Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 17:21

Quote (aoeu @ Jan. 20 2017, 09:09)
Thanks, I'll get over there.  :)

One more thing I'll say here though is I really like the album cover. I know there were some reservations about it, but having heard the album I honestly disagree with that review that said it didn't fit the music, I think it depicts the atmosphere of the album perfectly. It's eye-catching as well, I've seen some posters up around London with it on this week and it stands out.

I am completely with you on this! Sometimes we just have to be patient and put the whole package together, and now I have heard the music it all fits quite perfectly.

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
tubular.ed Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 16:42

While I wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow (can't wait), did anybody here play to the DVD yet? Is it a DVD-A or a normal DVD with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 11:13

It's funny how many were saying how not impressed they were with only hearing a brief snippet of the album, and yet we have the whole 42 minutes now, and it is so quiet, we should be shouting about this album from the room tops, it is astounding. MIKE OLDFIELD IS BACK, this is the Mike we all wanted back, and he delivered in spades!!!  :)
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 16:56

Take time to read some of the reviews on Amazon.

Return to Ommadawn is clearly loved my so many of his fans. But sadly many do not visit or post on this website.

I can't stop playing it... It's fantastic... Thanks so much Mike.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 17:45

qjamesfloyd
Posted on Jan. 24 2017, 17:13

It's funny how many were saying how not impressed they were with only hearing a brief snippet of the album, and yet we have the whole 42 minutes now, and it is so quiet, we should be shouting about this album from the room tops, it is astounding. MIKE OLDFIELD IS BACK, this is the Mike we all wanted back, and he delivered in spades!!!  

You are so right, qjamesfloyd, I couldn't express it better. It is an outstanding masterpiece!!! I constantly have to tell myself that this is not a dream, that it really does exist!  :D  :D  :D

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
pauly Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2017, 18:40

I must admit that I'm surprised at some of the reactions to this superb composition. Reading about poor production, poor sound quality, simple guitar riffs and I'm wondering if I'm listening to a different album!
Having said that, it is interesting to read what people do think but I do wonder what their expectation actually was.
It's a pity we didn't still have John Peel with us to play this album on the radio in it's entirety as that's the least it deserves.
After what Mike has been through over the last few years I'm surprised we got any album at all let alone one of such high quality.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 00:35

Quote (Chrissy @ Jan. 24 2017, 22:56)
Take time to read some of the reviews on Amazon.

Return to Ommadawn is clearly loved my so many of his fans. But sadly many do not visit or post on this website.

I'd also recommend having a look at progarchives.com.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 05:14

Thanks Holger, some very positive reviews on progarchives.com
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2017, 09:08

just put my thoughts under the RTO section, now i finally got it, but in short this is the brightest and most uplifting record, mike has ever done, and i really like it
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2018, 08:19

Quote (Harmono @ Dec. 07 2016, 14:22)
Apparently the first snippet on the show is what Mike has described as a lovely tune similar to Telstar.

I think I can throw a little light on the Telstar mystery. It's quite well accepted that the piece below, "Visa to the Stars", is similar to the Tornadoes' "Telstar" instrumental. Note the Spanish, galloping rhythm in "Visa to the Stars". The similar galloping background of "Victory" could well be Mike's nod to this piece. Perhaps, a la The Songs of Distant Earth, Return to Ommadawn also has a space theme but Mike decided not to draw attention to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtmjkGFzvI
Profile PM 
111 replies since Dec. 07 2016, 11:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net