Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Remix Tubular Bells" competition, $1000 dollar prize and judged by Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 25 2012, 10:24

Universal have announced on their facebook page that they are holding a competition - being judged by Mike himself - for the best remix of Tubular Bells part 1. You can find more details and enter by following their link to the competition site on indabamusic.com. The closing date for entries is 20th August 2012.

Thanks Tubular Tos!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 25 2012, 11:14

Well I'd had some trouble downloading it, but I've nearly got the last track now (I had tried downloading the zip of all the tracks but it kept cutting out).

The files are big because you get from the opening of Part 1  through to the part labelled in TB2003 as "Thrash" (or "Sunjammer" if you want to use TB2 track names), and there are 16 files.

Not sure if I'll have time to do much creatively with it in time for the competition as I'm busily editing dialogue and sound effects just now but it's interesting to pull it apart and listen to the individual bits.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 25 2012, 15:31

Same as Mat, I might not enter the competition, but having the bits is fascinating.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 17:17

;) ..well in fact i didnt found the info myself but im ok if you want to thank me Matt .lol

..about holidays yes me first and i think Olivier is too !

yeah dont know if i could do a remix but just for the pleasure to get them i would like to download them ...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 17:26

This was posted up some DJ forum I used to frequent a few years ago. Its a simple but pretty good DIY effort. If you listen to the end its interesting how he's re-ordered little bits. Its one of the better takes on it anyway.  

http://soundcloud.com/stevemo....re-edit

I'd like to have a go this competition but there's no way I can get anything done by the 20th.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 15:43

Another interesting remix out there. Not bad.

http://www.thehouseofdisco.com/2011....it.html
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 10:12

This is fantastic - I could only dream of having this 30+ years ago listening to Tubular Bells over and over as a kid.

I doubt I'll make it in time for the competition, but I am definitely going to play around with this stuff...just a quick listen through now has given me a few ideas. I guess there's nothing to stop an unofficial tubular.net competition is there??

N

--------------------------------
soundcloud.com/priabonia

soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 05:10

Hi all, just a quick question. Do we have to use the stems or could we remix tubular bells as an original piece? I was thinking of using Sibelius to create my remix but that would not use any original audio sources.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 08:44

Quote (ThisName @ Aug. 05 2012, 11:10)
Hi all, just a quick question. Do we have to use the stems or could we remix tubular bells as an original piece? I was thinking of using Sibelius to create my remix but that would not use any original audio sources.

There is a "Frequently Asked Questions" link that also covers this question:

Q: How many audio files do I have to use?
A: You have to use at least one stem to be eligible to win the competition.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 10:12

Am I the first from the Tubular.net folks to enter the arena of public humiliation?  :D

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportu....3

It may not be good but at least it's not dubstep! ;)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 15:34

Quote (Markus K. @ Aug. 05 2012, 10:12)
Am I the first from the Tubular.net folks to enter the arena of public humiliation?  :D

It may not be good but at least it's not dubstep! ;)

I like the mood of your remix.
I'm still undecided what to do. As this is a contest I think it's better to work in a slightly opportunistic way since there's a big gap between Oldfield's and my understanding and taste of electronic music (dance remixes or call it what you like). And most of the participants appear to be into Trance and mainstream dupstep which won't meet the core of Tubular Bells. Nevertheless  I will give it a try tomorrow...
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 17:08

I would go all profound and philosophical and say that if it pleases you then that's what matters and don't care about other peoples' opinions.

It's difficult to guess what's on Mike's mind. Except maybe at this point some rock with Hammond organs would work. And someone did actually upload such a track.  :D

(Tubular Bells 01 - Bren Downey)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 07:58

Quote (Markus K. @ Aug. 05 2012, 15:12)

Interesting...is the opening a pitch shifted section from Hergest Ridge?

I am struggling with my remix...so much choice, but in some ways so little...I keep coming back to *that* theme but am trying to be different and avoid it.

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 14:26

Quote (Priabonia @ Aug. 06 2012, 14:58)
Interesting...is the opening a pitch shifted section from Hergest Ridge?

I'm glad it sounds enough like Hergest Ridge for you to ask that.

It was re-created by two free VST plugins: Cheeze Machine (I think it was preset 2 with ensemble and phaser effects turned down) and Stringer ("Crumar Performer" preset). It's basically two "open fifth" chords on two octaves.

It would be nice to make the beginning section sound more like HR. There's still the chance to upload a new version if I ever bother (or manage) to improvie that. (It would have to maintain that 70's Oldfield sound or the whole idea would be ruined.)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 20:09

Very cool. It is interesting to listen to the 16 files and dissect the parts.......Fun stuff! I've got 2 weeks left of a very boring month vacation from work. I might play around with this. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 05:59

OK, I played around with it, loaded the tracks into Sony Acid and got bored in about 2 hours. Just isn't my thing anymore, a recording I've grown tired of, not to detract from it's importance in music history. In 1973 it was a mind blower and opened the door for a lot of new ideas. But listening to the 16 tracks......I can see why Mike re-recorded it in 2003. A lot of the playing was quite sloppy(even by 1980 QE2 standards-much higher quality and tight). Put all 16 tracks together, you can't pick out the "loose" playing quite as much. I have no interest in participating in this competition but after hearing a lot of the contributions, I can offer this: Tubular Bells 1 was(in my 39 years of listening to it) meant to be 20th century classical music made with the best instruments MO could afford at the time, with a rock touch, mainly electric guitars. The organs though electric, still classical in feel. You want to win this, then think like MO in 1973 but expand on it. Get rid of the electro-techno drum crap. Use/cut/copy/paste loops from this and add things like oboe and violin. Synths, but natural sounds. A more organic approach. The techno thing has been done too much. Recent reading suggests certain people are tired of computers and samples.....use that information and get rid of beatmapping and quantizing. Have fun and hope you win your 1000 bucks. I'll look forward to hearing the winner! Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Fredde Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 20:53

Is it supposed to be only 14 minutes long? I've heard the finale part being used in some mix...
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 00:03

My take on the piano + Farfisa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WGxlE_9n9k
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 11:11

Quote (EeToN @ Aug. 05 2012, 08:44)
Quote (ThisName @ Aug. 05 2012, 11:10)

There is a "Frequently Asked Questions" link that also covers this question:

Q: How many audio files do I have to use?
A: You have to use at least one stem to be eligible to win the competition.

Don't suppose I could get a link to that as I am unable to find it on the site? Or better still if you know the answer.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 13:22

Quote (ThisName @ Aug. 08 2012, 17:11)
Don't suppose I could get a link to that as I am unable to find it on the site? Or better still if you know the answer.

I've already pasted the answer that tells that you have to use a least one stem. :)

The "Frequently Asked Questions" link is not a true link but a JavaScript function that pops up a window so I cannot give a direct link but it's on the right side here, below the stems, the judges and the "What else?" title.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
34 replies since July 25 2012, 10:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net