Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: religious experience< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thomas Andersson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 03:34

I've owned FMO for half a year, and listened through it around a dozen times. But I never *really* listened until last night. Sometimes's my mind is in a certain mood, where it's "closer" to the music; it doesn't happen very often and I don't know what causes it, but it's an incredible feeling. Almost a religious experience.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 15:24

That can happen when you're actually playing the music as well...and yes, it is amazing. Music can have some incredible effects...
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 22:41

I know what you're talking about, Thomas. I got that from Mike's music a number of times - and sometimes from the pieces I'd least have expected to!
Korgscrew - there have been times when I was sitting at my keyboard and just kept repeating the Hiawatha theme or Ommadawn main theme or... for hours!
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:26

ORABIDOO is amazing experience for me.always when the repetative taurus II section cames in the end it just blows me off...really moving moment.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 12:52

i also have often very intensive feelings - while hearing fmo, especially orabidoo. It's a bit like becoming a part of the music, feeling relaxed and in a "spiritual mood".
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 15:45

Actually I had exactly this kind of experience recently when I listened on Orabidoo for the first time in many years. It strucked me how perfect it is, a very underrated piece, with lots of highlights!

The begining is lovely, this low-key intro, and then the stange voices are soo mysterically wonderful, accompanged with the drums and the keyboard figure in the background... I just find it hyphnotic. The way Mike builds up the tension, more and more intensity just before the fantastic piano-fuge-like break! What an idea! Hats of for Mr Oldfield, this brilljant composer! Also how clever the sudden transition is from the electric storm to the again hyphnotic folk-music-sounding tune that follows; and if this is not enough, he ends with an elaborate guitar-tune ... Listen how well-played it is.

Mike, you are a true geniuos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This piece is a very experimental masterpiece, the most underrated piece Mike ever wrote.

I also realized what a fine tune Mount Teide is, and how well it follows Orabidoo in its mood. Beutiful!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 13:12

I had a similar sort of experience when I listened to HR recently. Fair dos, it's not a track from FMO, but I posted my experience on an HR thread not that long ago. Just to say I have had some sort of similar experience listening to music. In a sentence, it was like having all of my depression dissolved, and I awoke in a world of complete tranquillity.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 15 2007, 22:51

I first heard the song "Five Miles Out" on a compilation CD, and I thought it was strangely fascinating and utterly unique. I wish I hadn't waited so many years to finally get the full album, because although that song is great in itself, hearing it within the context of the other pieces, it's that much richer. IMO, Five Miles Out is a total album - each track essential to the whole -  making for a real work of art. And there's a section in "Orabidoo" (8:30 - 10:50) that just pulls at my gut.

(edited to correct typo)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 04:25

I don`t think I really got the track FMO for a long time,although it was a song I always enjoyed.I put part of that blame myself down to this being quite a long album for vinyl.And itself being the song before the runout groove on side two I think it maybe suffered a little bit because of it.That and the fact my record deck at the time was complete mince...
It wasn`t until years later when I bought it on cd.And then quite by accident on the same day got talking to somebody who thought this song was one of his finest achievments.He didn`t even know I`d just bought the album again either at the time.Which I suppose was some kind of religous experience in itself.Anyway it certainly gained greater significance for me from that day on,it was almost like hearing it for the first time.Great song from one of Mike`s most under-rated albums for me.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 12 2009, 10:20

I always feel uplifted and more importantly empowered by Taurus II.  It's music that makes me feel stronger as a person - more able to take on what life throws at me!  I think it's the dynamics and heavy rock elements, all interacting to create a powerful musical structure with an extrovert personality (in direct contrast to some of Mike's more tranquil pieces).  I'll never forget the first time I heard it - a life-changing experience.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 21:46

I can't believe you... FMO is such a bad album!!! :p

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 22:41

It has some nice moments. It really does.......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 04:40

I really like it.Ok i'm no fan of Family Man (sorry y'all)but the rest i love.I do admit to a soft spot because it was the first album i ever bought,but it still sounds good to me.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 09:26

Quote (smillsoid @ April 12 2009, 10:20)
I always feel uplifted and more importantly empowered by Taurus II.  It's music that makes me feel stronger as a person - more able to take on what life throws at me!  I think it's the dynamics and heavy rock elements, all interacting to create a powerful musical structure with an extrovert personality (in direct contrast to some of Mike's more tranquil pieces).  I'll never forget the first time I heard it - a life-changing experience.

Smillsoid, couldn't agree more.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 09:34

I'd say Taurus 2 is the first peice to have such a blatant heavy rock feel with the big power chords and more rock type tone to the guitars.They have been used by Mike before but not quite so obviously in a 'Rock' setting (Exposed notwithstanding).I think that's largely what makes it so enjoyable.Couple of dodgy synth sounds (but then they were all over the place back then-check out the charts....shudder) but otherwise it's a bloody good album

--------------
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 10:45

What do you mean 'dodgy' synth sounds?  They're loads more interesting than the mushy 'ethereal' sounds so prevalent today.  FMO is a masterpiece!!!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 11:20

I was thinking of the sampled "doh doh doh doh" voices (very early smapling so sound kind of dated-think Art Of Noise a couple of years later) and the vocoder bit (again dated) but i didn't mean that this takes away from what is a very fine album.Indeed it add a certain charm.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 12:05

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 23 2009, 03:46)
I can't believe you... FMO is such a bad album!!! :p

When I said that, I was jokin'...!!!!

Of course, FMO is not a bad album at all!!!! it is worse than bad!!!! it is horrendous!!!!!

Specially Taurus II.

Don't like any of the 'Tubular Bells' either  :p

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 14:12

Glad to here that! Other than the entirety of side 1(Taurus 2) and "family Man"......the rest bored me. We had bagpipes like the old days! But most of side 2 bored me. Still, a very significant MO recording. I have other stories about it in other threads. A fine 1982 memory.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2009, 19:34

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 23 2009, 09:34)
I'd say Taurus 2 is the first peice to have such a blatant heavy rock feel with the big power chords and more rock type tone to the guitars.

I like the kaleidoscopic feel of "Taurus 2". It starts at "ground level" with the heavy rock sound, and then it's as if the listener is climbing a mountain, with each new sight more spectacular than the one before (until, finally, we look back down at the ground again).
Profile PM 
25 replies since Feb. 28 2001, 03:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net