Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Rediscovering QE2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 20 2003, 15:15

Quote (2distortedguitars @ Oct. 28 2000, 15:59)
Why are you planning to get all the vinyl albums when you already have the CD versions? I'm told that trying to find a vinyl of TSODE is very rare.

Which LP versions of CD albums would you recommend to get?

So far I have the original mix of Hergest Ridge

Do you still visit these forums, Steve? You haven't posted anything for a while

I'm told that trying to find a vinyl of TSODE is very rare.

i managed to get a copy on the day of its release, lucky huh? also i think that if you are collecting the complete MO discography then you have to get all the albums on all the levels, i have them all on cd and record and the majority on tape, thats what collecting is about, plus the records add something to the music, all the static blips and stuff, like it was ment to be heard that way? please forgive the lateness of this reply im quite new here and it takes a while to get through 1,000's of posts! hehehe  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 20:18

spookily, i recently got out a lot of my vinyl collection just to air them and show my 8 year old son what records used to be. the first one we put on (and very louidly too..) was QE2.

a lot of memories come back, the double A side single playing on radio 1, mike with an abba cover! God, but it is a great album, and should be seen as such.

Mind you, the hiss and crackle make you realise why we buy cd (and soon download onto memory) :cool:

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 12:00

I'd never replace vinyl with anything. Even though I still need something to play all my precious U2 albums and Genesis's Foxtrot. :/ But anyway, I'm a big LP geek myself. I love the sound, the artwork, the gatefold covers, and everything. Too much "Crystal Clear" sound can make stuff way too 'perfect' and nice so the effect is worn out. We all need a bit of that flattened out sound, crackling and a light humming noise in the track breaks (when there are any). The dream of my life is to get a Dark Side Of The Moon LP. The day I found it, it had an Atom Heart Mother disc inside it. :(

I also like finding the Side A / Side B division in albums. I still haven't figured out how Trout Mask Replica is divided, though. :/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 27 2008, 00:58

Quote (stig @ Aug. 27 2000, 19:29)
for anyone that isn't that fond of QE2, or just thinks it is average, I HIGHLY recommend you rediscover it!!

I really liked it on first listen, but I'm afraid QE2 got overshadowed by other albums, as I had gotten about three or four all at once during that period of my MO rediscovery. Whenever I come back to QE2, I'm surprised at how good it is. This last time, I decided that "Celt" is a much more enjoyable piece than I'd initially given it credit for, and worthy to share the same space as "Taurus I", "Sheba", and "QE2".

While I occasionally give MO's albums the concentration they deserve, I often have them playing as background music. The other day, I had QE2 on while typing a word document, and I thought 'This is a nice tune, but which one is it??' Bringing up my iTunes player... 'Oh, it's still on "Taurus I"!'  :laugh:

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 27 2008, 01:53

I can't rediscover something I never abandoned. I'm tired of some of it tho, after 28 years. I remember the day I brought it home in 1980. I was a very happy guy that day. I was thinking that day, looking at the diagram of the ship, was this LP inspired by a cruise he took? Were the different locations shown on the map of the ship places he'd smoked a joint or something? Or had a kiss. At that time "the Love Boat" was still on the air(prime time), so I was thinking that at the time. But it was the most technically polished thing he'd done yet............

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 27 2008, 09:00

I have to say, QE2 is one of the few Mike Oldfield albums of which I have no shame or guilt to say is very fine as background music, though I don't mean that in a condescending way. The album effectively doesn't demand your full attention, and if you just wish something that'll roll nicely on the background, this is a great pick. Most of the melodies are fine enough to trigger your nerves at the right time, so eventually when you eventually "cling" onto the music, the chances are high that there will be something great playing.

One of my only complaints, as I have in another thread, is the overdose of different instruments on the two cover songs. It's rather distracting, I believe, but it's still a minor quibble for the album as a whole.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 27 2008, 10:57

What gave QE2 instant joy was the first minute or two. I love the combination of the old Roland CR-78 drum machine and mandolin(if it was a mandolin). That melody could have played out for 30 minutes and I would have been happy, unfortunately it fell apart after a couple of minutes. MO made nice use of the CR-78. It also was used on Genesis' Duke and Anthony Phillips' 1984 and so many other albums at that time. The thing was a bitch to program so you had to admire anyone who could do it(without using preset rhythms). Cool sound. Kind of "chirpy" like a bird. See it here:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/roland/rolcr7801.html

Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 09:22

What a brilliant idea for why he'd put those parts of the ship on the inner cover.Doubtful but interesting nontheless.I myself have never indulged (honest guv!!;).
 QE2 is a great album.Not his best IMHO but still damn good.Having Genesis' producer was an inspired decision,as was using Phil Collins on drums.Taurus reminds me of the drive to see my family in Exeter from Newcastle Under Lyme as a kid of maybe 7 or 8.Always put  on my Walkman around Bristol cos it has that nautical feel.The Roland drums sound very much of it's time.Curiously the credits list Linn drums.Not too knowledgable about anything that doesn't have strings but i understand this particular peice of kit was amazingly exoensive!Something around £10,000 when introduced in i believe 79/early 80.You could get a comparable sound using samples of cymbals rather than a wash of white noise for about £300 now.Thank god technology moves on :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 18:15

QE2 is a happy, vibrant album which I associate with student life, fresh experiences, new friends, no worries; a combination of nostalgia and great tunes that always make me smile.

The photo of the drum machine also makes me smile.     :)

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 01:47

The Linn drums were the first "sampled" drums used ever. Roger Linn was the inventor and the early units sold for around $5000. Simple drum machine(used 8 bit samples) but more realistic sounding than the Roland. I hear it in the album, but my thinking is the Roland belonged to Phil, cuz he took it everywhere on the Duke tour and Face Value and all, and he brought it with him. Then used it a few more times, then it was outdated by newer models. But both were used on QE2. The Linn was worthy of note, see it here:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/linn/linlm101.html

Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 03:24

Thanks Jim.That's the very machine on the Montreux DVD on top of the keyboard Mike uses.I think it gets used in Ommadawn on the drum solo bit,and of course on Taurus.
 Thinking about it there are some parts with that 'in the air tonight' sound. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 19:40

I return to QE2 every now and then. I love 'Taurus 1'. Not so much 'Conflict'! :-)
As with most of his shorter-track albums, there are some tracks I love, others I just by-pass.  I've always thought Molly ends in such a way that the natural follow up is Taurus 1, thereby creating a musical loop! :-)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2012, 03:35

Good to see this thread being revived, especially in the light of the re-issue.

QE2 was my "last" Mike Oldfield album for years as I never liked FMO at all, and I often consider QE2 as kind of borderline..I didn't quite like the way he was trying so hard to go commerical with the Wonderful Land and Arrival cover versions, and the shorter "radio-friendly" tracks.
I much rather enjoyed the longer tracks Taurus I and the title track, although even these were still a million miles away from even Platinum in terms of quality.

That said, I'm pleased to say that QE2 has remained one of my favourite albums over all these years, despite my ever-changing and eclectic music tastes.
I have very much re-evaluated tracks like Conflict and Mirage with  the new re-issue and it's great to hear the QE2 album stuff live at last.

cheers

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2013, 12:07

I've always felt this is an underrated album in the canon (I listen to it approximately 10 times as often as I listen to Discovery, controversy fans).

The combination of folksy live instruments with (at the time) cutting edge drums machines and synths together with Hentschel's brilliantly-arranged brass is something totally original - a soundworld I've not heard on any other album, by Oldfield or otherwise.

It's very upbeat and geeky but all the better for that and Oldfield's two cover versions are well-chosen and performed.  For me, Conflict is the only somewhat iffy composition, with its wholly random Bach quotation not wearing well.

The slightly askew drums on Celt and brass choruses on QE2 alone make it, for me, very worth a spin or two.  Note to self - must get around to buying the remaster.
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2013, 14:58

Quote (Platinumpty @ Mar. 12 2013, 12:07)
The combination of folksy live instruments with (at the time) cutting edge drums machines and synths together with Hentschel's brilliantly-arranged brass is something totally original - a soundworld I've not heard on any other album, by Oldfield or otherwise.

QE2 used to be my favourite album during the 2nd half of the 80ies. It's a kind of electronic folk - an unique MO genre :-)
Profile PM 
34 replies since Aug. 27 2000, 19:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net