Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re recording to be called Tubular Bells 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 08 2003, 13:20

According to the official German site www.mikeoldfield.de, the re recording of Tubular Bells will be called Tubular Bells 2003 (thanks, Oldfield.de). wea.de has a scan of a cover (of a single?) that says 'Tubular Bells 2003 - Introduction Mike Oldfield' (thanks, Markus Lausecker) and 4 photos of Mike by Andy Earl: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 13:22

I can guess why... :p

If they would have called it "The re recording", then we'd have got "The re re recording" in a few years, followed by "The re re re recording", then "The re re re re recording". And after a while, the title would not fit anymore on a sleeve (and sleeves tend to be smaller and smaller (LP -> CD -> ? )
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2003, 16:19

Mmmh... not a very good title methinks. After all, the original wasn't called Tubular Bells 1973... and this new recording, the way I understood it, is meant to be the ultimate Tubular Bells Forever and not just TB2003...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 17:51

The problem is any other 'clever' title is just going to sound naff. Tubular Bells 2003 is what it says on the tin I suppose.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 17:56

now i can think about two reasons to have chosen 'tubular bells 2003' instead of 'tubular bells the re recording':

1st. 'tb the re recording' is quite an ugly and 'uncomfortable' name... so it would be just an aesthetic reason. imo, 'tubular bells 2003' sounds better than 'the re recording' (too many 'ri' sounds, at least to my ears :D)

2nd. however, it could also be that what in a first moment was going to be 'just' a re recording might have become something like tubular bells (viewed in) 2003... as i've said before, i'm a bit afraid of the losing of the 'old bells spirit' (though i know it'd have a 'new spirit'... would be just a question of getting used to it...)

anyway, it's going to be interesting to see how he views it thirty years later
looking forward to listening to it...
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 18:40

Tubular Bells II would have been a good title... unfortunately, that would lead to some confusion  :)
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 18:42

Quote (maria @ April 08 2003, 16:56)
anyway, it's going to be interesting to see how he views it thirty years later looking forward to listening to it...

I agree. i can't wait. any exact date set yet? last time i heard it was just May 2003.

I also think Tubular Bells 2003 sounds pretty decent for a title. Re-Recording makes it sound like the first one sucked, and needed to be desperately fixed. granted, what with today's technology it's going to sound a LOT better than the original. Still, it's better saying 2003, rather than re-recording, or TB: 30 year anniversary, TB4, TB: The version you never heard!, or something ridiculously catchy.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 18:44

Humm,let´s check out the next MikeOldfield.com update and see what´s going to happen...

BTW,it´s nice to put the 2003 on it since the confusion with the original one.

I´d love to see a sticker like this:
"Mike´s Definite Version of his 1973 Classic"

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 18:54

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 08 2003, 18:44)
"Mike´s Definite Version of his 1973 Classic"

how can someone know when something is really definite...
it seems almost impossible to me...

though i'd love he worked around new projects, just now i'm listening to tsode and something tells me he could succeed with a wonderful mix...
roots + new technologies = a loooong new instrumental full of guitars surrounded by colourful virtual landscapes

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
alexander.schweigert
Unregistered

Posted: April 08 2003, 20:46

well, all...
I didn´t check this news with a second source. wea germany is not wea spain. never trust an oldfield managment.... ;-)

here is my orginal message:

today i telephoned with wea germany:

the name of the new cd is: tubular bells 2003 and it will be in the shops on
26.5.03 . a concert tour is not planned.

the type "tubular bells 2003" is on the new cover.

i didnt check this news with wea spain. wea germany waits for new
informations from wea spain. but on www.mikeoldfield.de they say the name is
"tubular bells 2003" , too

perhaps you can translate my german WEA Germany has told me more, (wea germany dont know informations about a concert...) but i am not able to translate ist exact.:
look here:
<a href="http://www.oldfield.de">www.oldfield.de</a>
Fox Offline

Posted: April 08 2003, 22:29

I kinda want, "Tubular Bells: Finalized" as the title.
:cool:
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 01:55

I think you've just about said it all in your post already, Alex :)

In case anyone wants a rough translation of what mikeoldfield.de has to say about it, here it is in English:

"An unbelievable piece of news turns the music world on its head: For the 30-year anniversary of the release of Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield completely re-records the album - and releases it again at the end of May! The name of the album will then be Tubular Bells 2003.
More information will be given here in due course"
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 05:45

Tubular Bells 2003. Sounds like a new Windows OS from Microsoft  :D  Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 anybody  :laugh:

Just kidding, well, I kinda like the name

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 05:47

ok. i’ve been trying to check the info from germany with warner spain, but after getting dizzy phoning different numbers given by them, at last all what i got is that a "nice" woman hung up :/ it would seem they don't want to (or can't) give any information yet.
good luck if someone else try...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 08:36

"An unbelievable piece of news turns the music world on its head" - THEY WISH. So are WEA Germany claiming there is no tour planned? If this is true its a crying shame.
Profile PM 
andrewpanther Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 10:23

:D Hi all, Well the names reasonable TB 2003, but I guess there wern't that many options ! :p

:) BUT DOES ANYONE PLEASE have any info on if and when Mike will do a tour - really dying to know ?
      Hi to all MO FANS from Tasmania, Australia !   :cool:
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 09 2003, 11:02

OK, but the important question is: what about a U.S. release date?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 09 2003, 18:19

I'm still not comfortable with the title "Tubular Bells 2003". I don't know what it is, doesn't sound like a "bell" to me so to speak. 2003 is also a number which doesn't give me a "round number" feeling. I'm more comfortable with the title "Tubular Bells: the 30th anniversary".

But, maybe I'm wrong and is "Tubular Bells 2003" better. :)

I'm also very very curious how the new bell will look! I hope they will take care designing it. What would be better? A real bell made from tin, or a computerized bell, rendered and all?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 10 2003, 06:30

I too am interested with the cover, I would hope that it woudn't be too different, but prehaps with a sunnier beach. Making up a nice big bell would be a good project, and would probably give the cover a more real feel.

I think "Tubular Bells 2003" is a pretty good name. I can certainly think of a lot of worse names that Mike could have come up with. Anyway, I'm more concerned with the music, and I'm very excited about the possibility of a much more polished, better sounding Tubular Bells. Of course, the danger is that it will be too computerised and unnatural, but I'm sure Mike wouldn't do that. The little bits on that radio interview sounded good, but I want more! I am wondering how the intro, and the MC bit will go. I am very excited, but lets hope I don't have to wait too long to hear it!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 10 2003, 08:53

2003: A Tubular Odyssey  :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
41 replies since April 08 2003, 13:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net