Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re-recording of Tubular Bells in 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2001, 21:07

I think that, like Tim says, we have got rather a lot of versions of Tubular Bells to chose from...

The thing is that, the feel of the original can never be recreated, but there are many musicians who could create a new version of Tubular Bells that sounds and feels different to the original...Mike is just one of those people.

So Mike had better have something good in store...I can think of a few ways he could approach it that would be quite interesting...But then, I can have all the ideas I want - it's the actions that matter in the end, in this case at least wink
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 24 2001, 07:57

In case you were wondering, here's the playlist for the music that will be played (well, really!) during the programme on BBC2:

PLAYLIST
Thursday, 26 April 2001

title: 'TUBULAR BELLS (VARIOUS EXCERPTS ARE PLAYED THROUGHOUT THE SHOW)'
artist: MIKE OLDFIELD
album: TUBULAR BELLS
label: VIRGIN

title: 'WONDERFUL WORLD'
artist: THE SHADOWS
album: THE ORIGINAL CHART HITS
label: EMI

NB: I'm guessing they mean "Wonderful Land" here, especially since Mike did a cover of this. -Tim-

title: 'CHILDREN OF THE SUN'
artist: SALLYANGIE
album: CHILDREN OF THE SUN
label: TRANSATLANTIC

title: 'MILK BOTTLE'
artist: SALLYANGIE
album: CHILDREN OF THE SUN
label: TRANSATLANTIC

title: 'THE SAILOR’S HORNPIPE'
album: MIKE OLDFIELD BOXED

title: 'HERGEST RIDGE PT1'
album: HERGEST RIDGE

I'm going to have to try and listen to this now- I've never heard any Sallyangie OR the Boxed Hornpipe. Plus it should be interesting anyway.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 17:41

I managed to hear 7 more days that rocked the World, via the internet. I thought it was great,it even made me a little homesick.
I still would love to hear a hybrid re-working of Hergest Ridge HINT HINT.

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 27 2001, 14:52

I taped it ok.

Stefan can you get in touch via e-mail - I need a postal address if I am to send you anything.

Stuart, what are you meaning about a hybrid version of Hergest Ridge? There was a remastered version of the original mix of Hergest Ridge distributed through the Amarok mailing list not long ago if that is what you mean.
Profile PM 
Stuart Breed Offline

Posted: April 27 2001, 18:26

Dear Mat:
What I mean by a hybrid version is this. Mike mentioned during the Radio 2 interview that he was planning to re-do Tubular Bells, using an orchestra along with the electronic instruments.
I do think this is an interesting concept, I also think that Tubular Bells 2 was a great piece of work, in the fact that it used all that has been developed since the originals first release. I mean latest instrument technology, Studio equipment advances, production techniques and of course Mike Oldfields expanded knowledge of what is possible now, but wasn't in 1972-1973.
I have heard the Orchestral version of Hergest Ridge and I like it, I do however feel it is slightly floored in some areas due to bad notes (no offence meant) and that the dynamics of the piece would be greatly enhanced by Digital recording.
What I would be interest in hearing, is a combination of the Orchestral version and the original, undertaken in the spirit of Tubular Bells 2.
I think that in todays market this idea would be well received, that's just my humble opinion though. I also think that over time Hergest Ridge has been a very underrated piece of work, it still fires my imagination everytime I listen to it.
I hope this helps explain what I mean by hybrid recording.

All the best.
Stu

--------------
Stu
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: April 29 2001, 07:26

When you think about it, Mike wasn't involved much with ALL the re-workings of TB.
I think that Orchestral TB was more David Bedford's project than Mike's.
The Variations on A Theme of MO certainly was.
The HDCD and SACDs weren't much to do with Mike, he only approved them.
The 25th Annivesary edition wasn't.

Mike only did TB2, TB3 and TMB (Which could really have been called anything).

I wonder how much of this is record companies milking the idea rather than Mike?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 12 2001, 10:11

Also has anyone else noticed how in every single interview Mike does, the interviewer always mentions Tubular Bells?

Maybe this is why he keeps revisiting them.
Profile PM 
26 replies since April 19 2001, 11:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net