Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re-recording of Tubular Bells done, 5.1 mix< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 16:57

I suppose his opinion on surround sound is genuine and with reason although I disagree about his thoughts on THX which I think can sometimes work really well and can add to the cinema experience.
It's my guess that he's doing it as an experiment and also ,and possibly more likely, because the record company have asked it of him. And If thats the way things are moving why not?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 17:08

Maybe he is doing the 5.1 mix to satisfy anyone(record company,fans,dunno)...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 01:13

YAY!!!!!!!!! :)  And just in time too... I am planning to buy the top of the line Bose speaker system.  I am taking Amarok and TB2 to the store with me to try out before I buy.  

This is GREAT news Mike!!!!!!!!!!!! :)  Although I have been quite opposed to yet another Tubular Bells... this idea seems to be growing on me more and more... more or less because... and well in light of what Mike has said about the original... I too believe it was wonky... out of tune and out of time... and after hearing TB2 first and then the original... I immediately put the original TB on the shelf not to be played for years!  It is great piece of music, that in many terms, needed a face lift and the collectiveness that is found on Amarok and TB2!! :)  

My birthday is May 26th... thank you Mike for this birthday gift on May 25th!!!!!!! :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 03:24

The record company have a lot to do with quite a few of Mike's U turns...they can be quite influential over what he does.

Surround sound is also something that really needs to be experimented with before saying that it's not a good thing - he's right that it can be distracting and strange to have the musical image shifted around all over the place, but it's perfectly possible to create a surround mix that's enveloping and involving without seeming forced or odd.

I used to use Bose PA speakers now and then (and probably still would, were I to do something that they'd be suited to) - they do well with getting quite a powerful sound out of a little box that can be carried around without anyone breaking their back. I always reckoned their hifi speakers seemed a little bright, but that's just me, and I've not spent much time listening to them anyway,
Profile PM 
merlin2k1 Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 10:26

Wow, one for the home and one for the car!  I've always thought Amarok and TSODE would be great in 5.1!   Hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink...

--------------
Bruce
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Jacquenet
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 15:51

I'm very happy to hear soon a new album from Mike. After TB I, II and III, I wonder why he has chosen to re-recorb TB I and why not another album, Ommadawn for example. :cool:
christopher Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 21:57

To answer your question Nicolas... Tubular Bells sells... Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, none of those would... well except to people like us.  It's that whole marketing thing again... damn the record companies... LOL :P

Maybe it'll give a whole new generation a taste of Mike and his previous stuff and relaunch his career full spread(America maybe?)

BTW... does anyone know if he is ACTUALLY going to let the Americans in on this one... or just leave us out as usual???  It's not my fault our president is picking fights all over the world!! :(
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2003, 06:06

Quote (christopher @ Feb. 07 2003, 03:57)
To answer your question Nicolas... Tubular Bells sells... Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, none of those would... well except to people like us.  It's that whole marketing thing again... damn the record companies... LOL :P

Maybe it'll give a whole new generation a taste of Mike and his previous stuff and relaunch his career full spread(America maybe?)

Hi,

Well, sure TB sold more than any other one. But HR and O did sell pretty well at their time also, I think that when HR was released it put TB out of the 1st place in the uk charts. Of course this was in uk, I don't know how well they did at that time in other countries, and MO/Warner do need a more international success now.

And if they do (have success), future may offer even better perspectives, who knows ?

;)

Jerome
pretty happy with the new perspectives, but I won't buy a bloody expensive SACD CD only for that...

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2003, 08:17

Quote (Jerome C @ Feb. 07 2003, 06:06)

I'm sure the cynical among you will think that it's just about money... but to be honest don't you think that when he listened to it again a few years ago to get ready to play it live at HGP he realised how kak the sound was? And that it's now a combination of his 'perfection' streak and a matter of pride that he's re-doing it now?

GD.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 07 2003, 15:44

Quote (christopher @ Feb. 07 2003, 02:57)
BTW... does anyone know if he is ACTUALLY going to let the Americans in on this one... or just leave us out as usual???

That'll be one for the record company to decide, unfortunately. I'm sure that Mike would love to release the album in America.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2003, 08:52

Quote (Jerome C @ Feb. 07 2003, 12:06)
pretty happy with the new perspectives, but I won't buy a bloody expensive SACD CD only for that...

Being published by Warner, I'd rather expect a DVD-Audio instead of SACD. Hopefully those people who bought a SACD player for the TB SACD got one that can also play DVD-A...
OTOH, DVD-A would leave room for bonus video and PC tracks; let's see what Mike will make of it..
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
Chris Finan
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 08 2003, 20:23

Hopefully it will it will be issued as a hybrid disc which
can be played on normal cd players as well as SACD players.
I have an SACD player and the Original version is fantastic in stereo
and miltichanel surround. I hope they don`t release it as DVD audio instead of SACD
because the sound quality is not as good apparently and I don`t fancy forking out for a DVD audio player.
Sephirot Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2003, 01:52

Well by me i love TB but i surely wish that one day maybe Mike will do somthing with Hergest Ridge also. If i think right that every one will agree with me that the first four albums of he's where and are the most fantastic music on earth!

--------------
Lost in Static 18...
Profile PM 
Pieter
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 09 2003, 04:29

May 25 is sunday.
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2003, 08:43

My God!! The cynical ones among us, Ginger Daddy. If there weren´t another two Tubular Bells records ( not to mention compilations, 25th anniversary edition, remastered versions, etc), maybe we could think it´s not a question of money...surely not Mike´s desire but, for sure, the record company´s aim.
Moreover, I think Tubular Bells is too much exploited now so it might not sell as expected. Sincerely, I don´t know what is worst: either Mike selling a lot of copies of the rerecorded version and everybody thinking (specially records companies) he´s only able to sell TB records, or nobody except the fans interested in more of the same thing. All the old albums are superb as they are, the "cynical ones" only ask for more real new good music.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2003, 12:30

Chris,
From what I found so far about Warner being the main pusher behind DVD-A, I'm afraid odds for them releasing an SACD are _very_ close to zero..
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 10:43

Yes, Warner is DVD-A.  You can read some interesting articles on the technical issues and differences if you search the internet for things like "DVD-A vs. SACD".

I'm not sure that Bose is up to the demands of Tubular Bells...
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2003, 11:59

I don't think SACD has a further. It's gonna be a flop I think. DVD-A has more future in it.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Feb. 04 2003, 12:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net