Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: rare vinyl bells picture disk, mike vinal picture disks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Arthur Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 11 2009, 09:02

i have a copy of tubular bells as a vinyl picture disk, shame i can not add a photo of it. only ever played it once as i did not want to mark it. Anyone know if it is rare and what its value is today?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 11 2009, 09:28

Hi Arthur.It's not all that rare i'm afraid.I have a copy and paid £15 for it a few years ago.I've seen a few around over the years.Never played mine as,like you,i don't want to diminish it.Dunno how much it's worth though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 04:16

I think the only really rare one is the Shine picture disc. Supposedly it exists both as a 12" disc and one where its been cut to follow the shape of the image. But I've never seen one.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 04:24

I have a copy of Family Man/Mount Teide on a picture disk.They were quite popular on singles in the 80's i seem to remember.

--------------
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 05:13

rarest oldfields

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 20 2009, 00:37

about rare vinyls there is currently MO double vinyl BBC transcription live in london 79 in ebay...seeing how it goes currently, its possible that it will beat uncut shine in selling price.

--------------
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 14:22

I have been offered a 12" picture disc of tubular bells - excellent condition & I  W A N T it! Badly! Someone very kindly brought it in For me to have a look at and I had it on my desk for a whole morning at work. It was wonderful. I have done some research and can only see that the framed ones seem to claim £70. - £80. from this thread I see that they are not that rare so not especially expensive. Also I am guessing not many people are after them so therefore the value is not going to be that high. Any one here care to hazard a guess so that I could make an offer - a realistic one? I would never ever sell it because it is just so beautiful and would mean far to much to me. I am, after all, the person who still has not opened the Ultimate edition of Tubular bells because I want it to be pristine with MOs signature safe inside - though I did order anther just so I could actually
play it!!!! So I am a little impulsive at times.   ;)

any advice would be gratefully received :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 18:31

@ bee: since the TB picture disc is not rare at all, its "value" is just its actual price, which I don't think should be one cent higher than 15-20 Euros. I bought my copy from eil.com for 10 Euros, maybe they still have one. Unfortunately my copy is not "pristine" as you say because I did open up the cellophane and play the record to hear if there was the model airplane whirr at the end (there isn't any), but it's still great, and it's a nice item to own.

By the way, I've also got a Take 4 white vinyl 12''. Is it rare?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 18:44

Thank you for your reply Ugo...I managed to ask someone I know who has a record collector friend and they pretty much said the same as you...and also the eil website. It's funny but i' felt' it should be worth much more but I guess it's down to the old supply and demand idea. I keep thinking though that it may well be highly valuable one day if anything ever happens to the Virgin empire. Probably not for a good few years. I'd still love to see that image of the bell going round on my turntable...so I'll get one one day.
You must have the most remarkable music collection Ugo, you are very knowledgeAble.

Thanks again, bee

I might get one but it would be for the fact that I consider it to be a beautiful thing. I would love to see the bell going round on my turntable...

You really must have an amazi g record :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 18:46

Had a spot of bother with editing my post.....you get the gist though.... It is late and I really should have gone to sleep hours ago!!!

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 20:53

@ bee: until you manage to buy it, here you can have an idea of what its aspect is. It's not my copy, obviously, but it looks an awful lot like it. The turntable in the photo also looks a lot like mine, although it's not the same brand. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 13:28

Hey Ugo

funny thing....I downloaded that very image to my iPhone after I had had the disc on my desk!!! Can you believe it?! Iloved it so much I thought I have to get a picture at least!

Turntable looks good, agreed...I have a rega planar 2 which is slimmer and blacker but still looks nice....

Oh I can feel a vinyl evening coming on!!!!! :p

thanks for thinking to put it up on tubularnet though , that was kind   :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 03:21

there is 2 different version from this vinyl...other is with aircraft noise in end of B side and other is without...the one with aircraft noise seems to be more common to find.

--------------
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 06:05

I would love to see those picture discs. I didn't know Mike had any (slow to catch on and much to learn). Bee and Ugo thanks for sharing these. Nice to see you posting again Bee. Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 07:47

Haven't dared to play my copy to see which version it is.My have to (very carefully)play it later.

--------------
Profile PM 
take-4 Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 16:19

Megarare UNCUT:

The same but normal cut Shine:

7'' moonlight shadow picture disc:

7'' five miles out picture disc:

7'' family man picture disc:

http://www.argiers.com/images....elA.jpg

7'' mistake picture disc:

lp tubular bells picture disc:

http://www.argiers.com/images/lpsB/UKTubularBellsPictureDisc_01.jpg

pekka pohjola picture disc:

http://www.argiers.com/images....isc.jpg

All these items and much more at

http://www.argiers.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2010, 18:26

Quote (take-4 @ Feb. 01 2010, 22:19)
pekka pohjola picture disc:

http://www.argiers.com/images....isc.jpg

Hey, this is not rare. At least not in Italy. I've got it, and Jim (Scatterplot) also has. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
take-4 Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 01:23

I never said it was rare... The only one very rare is the UNCUT
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 18:28

@ take-4: thanks for the explanation; actually I think that all of the so-called "uncut" picture discs by any artist are rare, because they were never supposed to leave the record-making factory like that - if they're uncut it's because they're still in a raw unfinished state, and someone evidently managed to sneak 'em out of the factory in that raw state - that's why they're so rare. :D

By the way, as I said in a post above here in this thread, I have a copy of the Oldfield EP you took your nickname from; my copy is pressed on white vinyl. Is it rare or common?

--------------
Profile PM 
take-4 Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2010, 01:29

Yes, I do agree with you. I asked a couple of other owners of UNCUT Shine if they can listen to the item and they confirmed to me that it plays quite bad. The same with my copy. Probably they were not good copies for sale, so no need to cut them. For any reason they were not destroyed and finally are in collector's hands.

White vinyl take-4 is not rare at all. The reason ? a lot of copies were made, so it is really easy to find it and for a cheap price.

To be rare or not depends usually in how many copies exist. Doesn't care if it is white, red, black, cut, uncut... 12'' vinyl maxi Guilty in blue vinyl is not rare because the same reason. But 2lp Incantations in RED&BLUE vinyl is VEEEEEEERY rare, because just a few copies existing !!!!

Profile PM WEB 
23 replies since June 11 2009, 09:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net