Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Questions to Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 11 2003, 15:34

Robert Silverstein has just contacted me and asked for suggestions and cool questions for the interview he will be conducted with Mike next Monday (April 14) from New York on the phone. Please post your ideas here!  The interview will be be featured as the front cover story of the June 20th Century Guitar magazine. It will be possible to get the magazine featuring Mike on cover from Robert, who, by the way, has written the liner notes for the 1976 Oldfield Pohjola collaboration reissue.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2003, 21:14

Some suggestions for questions:

-Why he decided to do separate tracks on TB2003,and if it was a idea he had in 1973 but he couldn´t do on the original TB?
And also the choice of the name of the tracks.

-How he feels about the entire project of the re-recording of TB,and if he has fullfilled his dream to correct the imperfections of the original?

-About DVD that it´s going to be released with the TB2003,besides the music and the video.
And if the Hoover version of the original TB will finally see the light of the way for the public.

-Next project after TB 2003(he always says something regarding to this)

-About the premiere event(concert/launch party) - place?
date?
Any plans for a tour?

-His feelings after Tr3s Lunas and MusicVR.

Well,I suggest to the journalist to be prepared for the interview.It´s a real challenge to interview someone like Mike,in a good way.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 05:18

I'd like to know about Mike's current effects units.
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 05:39

- Now you've got the chance to expel the '73 demon, will you stop making Bell albums? (like the cherry finishing the cake)
- Are we going to see a 'Hergest Ridge 200x' or an 'Ommadawn 200x'?

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 05:40

Since it´s a guitar mag....

-The feeling of playing his Fender Telecaster again,after 30 years,and the things he did to let the guitar in tune again.
Also,if he used other guitars.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
DOCs
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 07:57

Did you become dependent towards machines and computers ?

Do you know that TB 2003 release will be an event in Europe ?

Do you want to conquer the music charts ?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 09:26

Bit of old questions from me here:

- Do you still play Gibson guitars? I only see you with PRS and Fenders.

- What does Orabidoo mean?

- Do you sing the vocoded piece on the beginning of Orabidoo?

-Will their big a promotions, like here in the Netherlands of TB 2003?

thanks

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Mirko Sukovic
Unregistered

Posted: April 12 2003, 10:49

Will you ever visit Serbia and Montenegro(ex Yugoslavia) and make some concert there?
Mige Iranzo Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 12:44

Maybe a little off topic, but, ask him what does he thinks about the war on Irak...

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 14:07

No don't ask about Iraq, this is an all too rare opportunity to ask about his MUSIC, it is his music for which we admire him, and to use his time with other questions would be a terrible waste.

Ask if recording this has made him want to record any more long instrumentals, or whether that is permanently out of his system

Ask if he has any plans to record any more orchestral work, or update any other older albums with sequels eg Ommadawn

Ask where he finds inspiration or whether his head is still buzzing with ideas

Ask about the tour, and which of his works he is now most proud of

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 14:43

Those are very good questions MITR, and I agree, please don't ask him about Iraq.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: April 12 2003, 15:27

I'd like some insights to why his music isn't promoted in the USA.

There are many people who'd love to hear what he does, and there's no reason he can't be famous here, too!
Profile PM 
keol Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2003, 16:09

- How much of the original 1973 state of mind returned while re-recording it, and how many music ideas regarding that?

(since he once said that during the TBII recordings he even painted the studio like tha Manor to achieve certain state of mind)

- Will he support a Tubular Bells performance here in Bogotá, Colombia, even if he won´t come? (That could launch the project) ;)

- What does he think about the new tech movement that allows musician to show their music without a great recording studio or a label contract (such as mp3.com, etc...) and if that would have helped the original Tubular Bells assuming that the possibility was available back then

JMS - Keol
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 03:44

Quote (Holger @ April 12 2003, 20:43)
Those are very good questions MITR, and I agree, please don't ask him about Iraq.

well, I don't.

But the answer would probably be something embarassing like "Iraq ? Ohhh, there was a war?"

:/

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 04:30

I'd want to keep in mind that it's a guitar magazine, not a current affairs journal...if every interviewee was asked in depth about the current world situation, there'd be no room for anything else.
How many people would buy a magazine with 'Mike Oldfield talks about Iraq' on the front (I'm not sure I'd bother - I have my own views on it, and don't really care to read his, despite how revealing it may be)?
I think it would be different if it were an interview of a political songwriter, but Mike's work has never been in the least bit political, and there might even be a reason why he's kept it that way. It's important for there to be an exchange of views on world affairs, but I don't think guitar magazines are the place for it . If people want to know about Iraq, they only have to turn to the TV, to newspapers, to the radio, to the internet and to news and political journals - I think that all the information which people are going to get is already out there (of course, there's going to be information which is beyond the reach of the general public, but that's another matter...). If a guitar magazine wanted to bring the middle eastern situation to its readers' attention, a much more interesting way would be to run a feature on the guitar's middle eastern parent the Oud, and to ask Oud players from the area how the realities of their world emerge through their music, how they see their future (as well as the background of how the Oud evolved into the guitar...how the guitar then made its way back into the middle east and its music)...that, to me, would be far more interesting, and enlightening, than reading the views of Mike, whose views are going to be similar to those of others which have already been aired somewhere else.

That said, a possible question could be "Do you think the human race is dividing into two tribes, one spiritual, one violent and materialistic?" ;).
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: April 13 2003, 08:21

Please ask him if he still flies airplanes...  :cool:

waiting for the answer,
yankee romeo tango golf mike
timshen Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 11:29

* Have you ever considered making a purely acoustic guitars album? Guitars 2.

* Have you considered making a purely sax-guitar album ?(oops..not serious here folks) - or maybe a synth bass one... :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: April 13 2003, 17:58

What can you tell us about the music in the Tube world? Are you writing new music, or using themes from the album?

/ Johan
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 14 2003, 15:29

The interview with Mike went very well and Robert was able to incorporate several questions into it (I don't know which ones - I also submited him questions I've got on some other places). And guess what... he said I'll be credited!!!  So I'm now planning to become famous in US. I'm starting slowly by getting more famous than Mike - that's not too hard - and then I'll gradually deal with Britney Spears. ;) (actually if I take my time, this might not be too hard either....)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 14 2003, 16:48

I think it has gone into your head Olivier. But don't worry, we still love you. :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
26 replies since April 11 2003, 15:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net