Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Questions about the videos...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2005, 18:17

I've just finished watching the DVD again (for the n-th time...) and I've got some questions for you all about some videos.

1) What is the small keyboard played by (one of the) Mike(s) in the William Tell Overture video? Is that a Solina String Ensemble?

2) Did Mike actually play that keyboard in WTO (the song) ?

3) Who did the Guilty video? (Director? animator? producer?)

4) Who is the baby in Mike's arms (and elsewhere) in the Wonderful Land video? Is she Molly?

5) Who is the guy in full pilot uniform (goggles, breather etc.) in the Five Miles Out video? Is he Mike?

6) Apart from playing the guitar and doing some [very silly IMHO :D] miming of vocals, does Mike also play one of the duellists in the Moonlight Shadow video?

7) Who is in the backing band in the Tricks of the Light video? I only recognise Simon Phillips.

8) Some very unnecessary (always IMHO) miming in the Pics in the Dark video: Anita saying 1, 2, 3 when it's Aled Jones saying it; all three of 'em (Mike, Anita & Aled) miming the second-to-last "Pictures in the dark I see" when it's only Mike really singing it; and one real singer (Barry Palmer) never appearing. :) Do you think all this miming was really needed for the video? ;)

9) As we know ;), the version of Innocent featured on the DVD is not the cartoon one, but the live-action one. Was the cartoon version made before or after the other one? In other words, which came first?

10) Who is the baby in the Innocent video? Considering the song's content, she should very obviously be Greta.

11) Isn't it strange that Mike doesn't appear at all in Earth Moving, when he's in all the other videos (except Don Alfonso, of course) ?

Okay, this is all for now. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 03 2005, 23:09

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2005, 18:17)
4) Who is the baby in Mike's arms (and elsewhere) in the Wonderful Land video? Is she Molly?

yes thats molly!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 04:36

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2005, 18:17)
6) Apart from playing the guitar and doing some [very silly IMHO :D] miming of vocals, does Mike also play one of the duellists in the Moonlight Shadow video?

Yes he does.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 05:57

10:
it's greta
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 12:36

6) He's the one being shot. His character also appears at the very end with the woman looking the crystal ball.

7) I can recognize Barry Palmer (vocals), Maggie Reilly (vocals), Phil Spalding (guitar) and Simon Phillips (drums). Being the same that played with Mike on the Discovery Tour the other 2 people should be Mickey Simmonds (keyboards, behind Spalding) and Harald Zuschrader (playing guitar on the video), but I don't know for sure.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2005, 18:18

Thanks to all of you. Can anyone else add anything more? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 00:11

1) The ARP Solina String Ensemble seems to be wider than the one in the video.

2) Do you think about David Bedford playing instead of Mike? In case of In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth, it was Mike who played the string synths so I'd be surprised if it wouldn't be the same in case of WTO.

3) Ian Emes did video for the concerts. AFAIK, this is different from the video clip but couldn't it be him who made that too?

5) I bet it's Mike. But who is that woman replacing Maggie?

7) I agree with Spinne about the players.

8) It seems that it's Aled who says 1, 2, 3 but I'm not absolutely sure, so it doesn't disturb me... But the voice is the same that says "Lost in my dreams" and it's still Anita miming it.

9) I have mpg files and the name of the cartoon version is called promo and the other one is the re-edit so I suppose the cartoon version is the original one.

10) Yes. :)

11) He didn't appear in The Wind Chimes and The Time Has Come neither and later on there was also Let There Be Light. But these are really rare, it's more usual that there are more Mikes. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 10:08

Hi all! Mindphaser's first post...  :)

1) The keyboard in the WTO video is definitely the Solina String-Ensemble. The picture on sonicstate.com shows the Solina String-Synthesiser which is bigger.

2) Yes, as on most recordings from that time it's the Solina.

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 13:06

Quote (EeToN @ Aug. 08 2005, 06:11)
11) He didn't appear in The Wind Chimes and The Time Has Come neither [...]

Firstly, thanks very much to EeToN and Mindphaser for your replies. ;)

@ EeToN: He does appear in The Wind Chimes  - at least, his hands & arms do. :) Also, I may be wrong, but I think I also see him playing guitar (or rather miming his guitar playing...) in TTHC. But you're right about LTBL - it was a stylish, slightly PinkFloydish video :) in which Mike didn't necessarily have to appear. Plus, I consider TWC to be one long-form video rather than six separate clips (TWC itself and the two songs); Mike's hands are everywhere in the main instrumental piece and in the songs, and he appears fully in the last two songs. Maybe he's not in TTHC because he thought he wouldn't fit in - maybe he would look ridiculous in ancient Egyptian costumes. :) Although I think he would have looked cool in an ancient Roman soldier's uniform. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2005, 12:30

Who's Molly and Greta ?

I know his music, but know next to nothing about his personal live.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 23:17

Quote (MikeAholic @ Sep. 27 2005, 12:30)
Who's Molly and Greta ?

I know his music, but know next to nothing about his personal live.

His daughters obviously.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2007, 17:52

Molly was his first, from his first wife (?) Sally Cooper; Greta is one of two children he had from Anita Hegerland.

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 09 2007, 05:58

That´s right, Mike does appear in The Wind Chimes video. He can be seen on the small boat in the cave.

:cool:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2011, 18:13

@ Spinne & Jules: just today, looking closely at the Moonlight Shadow clip, and freeze-framing it repeatedly, I saw that Mike plays both duellists. The second man is Mike with a different hairstyle. Mike 2 shoots Mike 1. :) Also, the woman who runs away may very well be Maggie with a different hairstyle and a different makeup. Oh, and of course all of the musicians in "Shadow on the Wall" are Mike - except for the singer(s), obviously. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
13 replies since Aug. 03 2005, 18:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net