Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Queen Singles Box Set, ... Coming Dec. 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2008, 22:20

I was surfing around doing some reading on Marc Bolan and, by accident, came upon ads for the above.  About bloody time!  And I hope they have all the appropriate single edits and mixes.  Apparently there will be 4 boxes in total.

(I'm the furthest thing from gay but I swear I got a stiffy reading about this!)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2008, 00:59

The odd thing about Queen is that everyone claimed and claims that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is operatic in style, when nothing could be further from the truth. It reminds me of barbershop quartet or gospel rather than any opera I know of (and that's a great deal, believe me!;). I used to have a passing interest in the group; I think "All Dead, All Dead" was their best song.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2008, 01:39

"39" was good too. I think it's about special relativistic time dilation and the twin paradox - if it is, it must be the must unusual subject matter for a folk song ever written!

The line "love dares you to care for the people on the edge of the night" from "Under Pressure" is also nice, although it's spoilt a bit by the triple meter.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2008, 02:55

"Under Pressure" kills me every time.  It's magnificent.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2008, 04:29

..And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure ...

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2008, 09:54

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2008, 06:59)
The odd thing about Queen is that everyone claimed and claims that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is operatic in style, when nothing could be further from the truth. It reminds me of barbershop quartet or gospel rather than any opera I know of (and that's a great deal, believe me!).

Ah, you wouldn't believe what people will call "operatic", "neo-classical", "symphonic" etc. etc... as for Bohemian Rhapsody, I've never really given it much thought (though you're probably right), but I've always taken this "operatic" tag to mean reminiscent of operetta rather than opera.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 00:09

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 02 2008, 09:54)
but I've always taken this "operatic" tag to mean reminiscent of operetta rather than opera.

The trouble is, it doesn't sound much like operetta (eg Die Fledermaus, Gilbert and Sullivan, etc) either. I suspect it's simply the fact that "Figaro" gets mentioned that has conditioned people's responses (although to me "Figaro" in BH might just as well refer to the French newspaper).
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 05:00

To paraphrase the late Sid Vicious "Ah,Freddie.Bringing Opera
to the masses,I see!"

Its all that needs to be said.

p.s. Bassman.Please don't take the phrase Jack-In-The-Box
too literally when you get em... :O
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 28 2009, 20:41

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2008, 01:39)
"39" was good too. I think it's about special relativistic time dilation and the twin paradox - if it is, it must be the must unusual subject matter for a folk song ever written!

Sorry to bring up this old post, but having read an article from TV Tropes, I'm led to believe you're absolutely spot on. Take a look:

And the night followed day
And the storytellers say
That the score brave souls inside
For many a lonely day
Sailed across the milky seas (??)
Never looked back, never feared, never cried

Wouldn't "Milky Way" fit the rhyme better? This sounds like a coincidence, but reading the lyrics as a whole with that in mind makes a lot of sense. And Brian May does have a degree in astronomy.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2009, 02:43

The song Bohemian Rhapsody which contains the phrase "Mama-Mia" three times.Was replaced at the top of the UK charts by ABBA`s Mama-Mia.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2009, 09:17

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 29 2009, 02:43)
The song Bohemian Rhapsody which contains the phrase "Mama-Mia" three times.Was replaced at the top of the UK charts by ABBA`s Mama-Mia.

Spooky Ehh !!              :cool:

Quick off the Mark those Abba Guys !!  :cool:

started watching the Mama mia video over Xmas  .. Got Bored after 30 minutes ..  Must be Overhyped or something.

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2009, 18:49

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 29 2009, 02:41)
And the storytellers say
For many a lonely day

As far as I know, Brian deliberately changed "Way" to "seas" to muddle the whole thing up a little bit. Same as in the first verse: "In the year of '39 assembled here the volunteers / in the days that lands were few / Here the ship sailed out / into the blue and sunny morn / the sweetest sight ever seen" [!!!]. It should have been  "the sweetest ship ever flew" or something like that. I think Brian's 'masquerading' pattern is very obvious. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 03:50

Agreed,Ugo.
Also Good Company "...the girl from number FOUR."
No mistaking that one.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 09:00

Quote (Bassman @ Nov. 29 2008, 02:20)
(I'm the furthest thing from gay but I swear I got a stiffy reading about this!;)

It's not compulsory to be gay to like Queen Bassman,  I had the  a tingling  feeling in my female bits when I heard about this  :cool: .

ightspore  
Posted: Nov. 29 2008, 04:59
The odd thing about Queen is that everyone claimed and claims that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is operatic in style, when nothing could be further from the truth. It reminds me of barbershop quartet or gospel rather than any opera I know of (and that's a great deal, believe me!;). I used to have a passing interest in the group; I think "All Dead, All Dead" was their best song.

Ive got it on my Queen vids "The Magic Years" where Freddie Mercury was palying Bohemian Rhapsody to producer Roy Thomas Baker, and Freddie turned to him and said "Now dears this is where the opera section comes in".

I know many people have tried to analize what the lyrics were about, I know the "opera section" was probably just nonsense lyrics.
I@m not so sure about the theory put that the lyrics were about Freddie coming out as gay. I know the pc brigade often make a big issue about Freddie being gay, but he was in a long term relationship  with a woman named Mary Austin. I know he left his estate to her upon his death.
Given that according to Brian May Freddie had Bo Rhap in his head before Queen it could have been a song about growing up , being a teenager, a confusing time for any young person.  Then again it could have been nonsense.
I know I found meaning in the lyrics when i was a teenager, especially when i was going through a tough time.  I know if I'd have done what my parents wanted I'd have ended up as a secratary , or possibly an environmental health officer. I knew that I wanted to be a mechanic, train driver or join the RAF, but I tried to become a train driver and join the RAF and failed. Still I'm going to become a volunteer "Welfare Worker", Home and Hospital" visitor for the Royal British Legion, and I can do my train driving on a preserved railway, much more fun        :cool:  :D .

nightspore   Posted on Nov. 29 2008, 05:39"39" was good too. I think it's about special relativistic time dilation and the twin paradox - if it is, it must be the must unusual subject matter for a folk song ever written!

I love '39, great song  :D, has me tapping my feet everytime.

In the year of '39 assembled here the Volunteers
In the days when lands were few
Here the ship sailed out into the blue and sunny morn
The sweetest sight ever seen.
And the story tellers say
For many a lonely day sailed across the milky seas
Ne'er looked back, never feared, never cried.
Don't you hear my call though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
Write your letters in the sand
For the day I take your hand
In the land that our grandchildren knew.
In the year of '39 came a ship in from the blue
The volunteers came home that day
And they bring good news of a world so newly born
Though their hearts so heavily weigh
For the earth is old and grey, little darlin' we'll away
But my love this cannot be
For so many years have gone though I'm older but a year
Your mother's eyes from your eyes cry to me.
Don't you hear my call though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
All the letters in the sand cannot heal me like your hand
All my life
Still ahead
Pity Me.

I was never entirely sure what the lyrics to '39 , were, I did think '39 maybe meant 1939 and the start of WW2, and volunteers meant those signing up for the Navy, Army or RAF, I don't know for sure if volunteers were sought for the forces or if men of the right ages were conscripted. "brave souls" could apply to the servicemen willing to put their lives on the line.

I did think maybe it was about a serviceman missing presumed dead in action who then finds his love many years later, possibly she had married someone else and had kids, and subsequently grandchildren.    "For the day I take your hand
In the land that our grandchildren knew." with the guy being a step grandparent to the grandkids.

Then again coming back the same day, unless maybe it was an RAF bombing raid, but  that was after 1939, and "ship" could be an ambiguos metaphor for a Lancaster, and seas a metaphor for sky, but a plane would have to fly over the see too.

I know that a Queen fan did write and ask what the lyrics to '39 were about. I know it has something to do with Einstein's Theory Of Relativity" in that a spaceship leaves the earth , (and Milky seas , could be a metaphor for Milky Way, as I would imagine that it would look like a sea of stars), travelling faster than the speed of light, and so to the travellers it would seem like a day trip, but on earth the traveller, time would have passed quickly , that he returns to find his grandchildren. Maybe a case of science fiction and science fact.

I've found this where Brian explains the lyrics, which were a a bit ambiguos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2739_(Queen_song)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 14:29

As far as I can see, Bohemian Rhapsody can be quite sensibly described as a man on the death row. The "operatic section" is probably only for fun and silliness, but the namedrops of "Bismillah" (i.e. "for the love of God!"), "Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me" and "thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening" sounds like the guy not wanting to go to Hell. But yeah, "Galileo figaro magnifico" is probably just to give it an Italian flavour and justify the "Opera" part of it. :)

Re: '39, I guess I should have read that Wikipedia article before having a Dr. House moment and coming here to report "news" that are in fact older than me. :) Either way, it's a REALLY smart move for Brian to conceal a sci-fi story as a folk story. The guy's indeed intelligent.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 18:29

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 28 2009, 20:41)
Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 29 2008, 01:39)

Sorry to bring up this old post, but having read an article from TV Tropes, I'm led to believe you're absolutely spot on. Take a look:

And the storytellers say
For many a lonely day

Wouldn't "Milky Way" fit the rhyme better? This sounds like a coincidence, but reading the lyrics as a whole with that in mind makes a lot of sense. And Brian May does have a degree in astronomy.

Agree with you, Sir M - perhaps it was thought that "Milky Way" might be overdoing the rhyme a bit. And of course, there's no reason why space can't be described metaphorically as a sea. "The sea of space".

Incidentally, the word "galactic" has the same origin as "lactose", meaning milk.

The song - one of my favourites - has always seemed to me a particularly moving one.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2009, 19:48

"'39" isn't the only weird Queen lyric. As mentioned above, there is Bo Rhap, not counting all of Freddie's Pyndaric flights of fancy in the earlier Queen albums (e.g. "Ogre Battle", "My Fairy King", "The Millionaire Waltz")... then we have "The Prophet's Song" on the ANatO album which is weird both lyrically and musically, with all the delays and stuff. And even in more recent Queen stuff I find examples of weird lyrics. One is "Innuendo" from the same-titled album. If anyone of you can get even just a little bit of sense out of that lyric, please tell me. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2009, 08:25

For an update on 'Prophet's Song' listen to 'Fields of the Brave'
on 'Cyclorama' by Styx.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2009, 08:53

Quote (ommadawn,ah!ooh! @ Feb. 02 2009, 14:25)
...on 'Cyclorama' by Styx.

Styx? Aren't them the guys who did that "Show Me the Way" soapy thing? What have they got to do with Queen? :D

(Jokin', of course. I shall check that out as soon as I can.) :)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2009, 16:58

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 31 2009, 23:48)
"'39" isn't the only weird Queen lyric. As mentioned above, there is Bo Rhap, not counting all of Freddie's Pyndaric flights of fancy in the earlier Queen albums (e.g. "Ogre Battle", "My Fairy King", "The Millionaire Waltz")... then we have "The Prophet's Song" on the ANatO album which is weird both lyrically and musically, with all the delays and stuff. And even in more recent Queen stuff I find examples of weird lyrics. One is "Innuendo" from the same-titled album. If anyone of you can get even just a little bit of sense out of that lyric, please tell me. :)

Yes I think much early Queen had weird lyrics, " The March Of The Black Queen" and The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke" too.  I know TFFMS , was inspired by a painting  of the same name by Richard Dadd.
http://www.popsubculture.com/pop/bio_project/richard_dadd.html
I know Dadd was known as a madman and murderer, but I don't think this was a cold blooded murder, planned in advance.  Dadd was suffering mental health problems,hearing voices  schitzophrenia??? at the time , and the Victorian attitude to anyone with a mental health problem was to lock them in the "lunatic asylum".
I do like Dadds artwork

I think many of the early Queen lyrics were inspired as Freddie Mercury had been reading Tolkien,  and was inspired by Tolkien's fantasy world of "Middle Earth".  Tolkien is a writer who it took me several attempts to read. I got to page 66 in Lord Of The Rings, and got confused by all the different names, it's worth getting a Tolkien encyclopedia. Here are the minds of greatly talented men in thir respective fields. I'm still trying to work out some of Queen's lyrics, 25 years after first becoming a fan.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
32 replies since Nov. 28 2008, 22:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net