Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: qe2: a very good album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jamie S Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 21 2004, 05:53

I get this alot with Mike's albums... when I first bought this and listened to it... I really wasn't very keen on any of it, and it didn't really get a chance, because I had bought Five Miles Out at the same time, which I loved instantly. But recently my younger brother (who is now a big fan thanks to me) got listening to it.... and now I think its great! Taurus 1, Sheba, Arrival and the title track are my favourite

:)  :)  :)
Profile PM WEB 
amarokian Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 10:15

A super album!!!

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 04 2007, 10:51

I just purchased this album from ITunes and love it. When i listen to it i know i'm not trying to be hip or cool, which i love.
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 07 2007, 07:05

Funny that most people don't like Conflict (the track, that is).

I admit that the melody from 0:11 to 0:22 is pretty bad, but I love the rest of it. Such as the bit from 1:07 to 1:19, lifted from a classical piece (as mentioned elsewhere in this forum)...

The bit I REALLY like is from 2:01 right up to the end.  But really, I don't think this track is bad. :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 18 2007, 03:21

"A very good album"? Whaaaa? It's a fantastic album! FANTASTIC! *hugs QE2 and takes it to bed* 'Cana sana gunu riga nusa riga rugu rana rada risa nusa na...'

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 16:04

I like Arrival and QE2 the best.
Love the album in general.
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2007, 20:54

QE2 is definitely an album I love and adore. It contains 2 of my favourite MO compositions.

Conflict is a great piece, with a real atmosphere of tension and action, and there is hardly anything calm. I think the tempo of the piece is also very pulsating. As Moz mentioned earlier, the segment lifted from JSB also adds to its atmosphere.

Molly is one which always makes me happy. It's such a soothing piece and reminds me of a perfect lullaby. It just helps me to feel calm.

But, on top of that, the climax of Taurus I, the cover of Wonderful Land and the stunning title track are other highlights for me. Definitely one of his best Albums of the 80s.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2007, 15:39

It is indeed! I had a way of ignoring most 80's albums. But this is the first one that I open up to. So obviously there's hope yet :D

till now i prefered the 90's and the 70's of mike. Maybe I'll open up to the 80's and the 2000 + onwards albums.
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 05:42

Hello!

QE2 is one of my all time favourite Mike Oldfield albums.

Robert

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 06:33

Just listened to the CD which I bought last week - so my first listen in 20 years  :)

Forgot how much I liked it, the title track, Wonderful Land and Taurus 1 were really enjoyable - with the rest not far behind.  For me, a very consistent album in terms of quality and have listened to it a lot in the last few days.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 01:15

As much as I enjoy QE2, I'd been neglecting it in favor of other MO albums I'm currently enamored with. Your comment, TRC, has made me revisit it and reminded me just how much I love it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2008, 07:47

I've always had a connection with QE2 as it was the first MO album I bought when I was in my first year at university and didn't have a turntable, so it just sat there for a little while just aching to be listeneded to.
Then I got talking to a guy in my hall of residence who liked Mike (on a normal casual basis) who had a turntable so he kindly offered to play it, we listended to about 15 seconds to which he said got to tape this (ahh the days of cassettes !;) so we had a good listen as he recorded it, fond memories.
It's not my fave album, I think that might be split between Ommadawn and Amarock.
As for the track which brings back the best memories is Earth Moving which was the first CD I played after the birth off my daughter.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 23:19

I got QE2 recently - the 80s are a large hole in my Mike Oldfield collection so I'm gradually filling in the gaps. The sticker on the CD case tells me QE2 sees Mike heading in a more 'pop' direction but I can hear little evidence of this. Maybe the Abba and Shadows covers come under this banner but they're not exactly chart-friendly material, certainly not like Moonlight Shadow anyway.

So far I really like it, the title track is a real hoot with some great guitar flourishes. I wasn't sure what to expect with Wonderful Land, but I found it rather moving.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 01:09

I remember the day I bought the new QE2 LP in 1980. I was in music heaven for about 2 weeks.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 08:45

@Major Gowan.What a baffling thing to put on a cd cover!It is cetainly a 'lighter' album than his previus albums,Platinum not withstanding,and it is the first one not to have side long peices on it,but i wouldn't say it's anything like a pop direction.Maybe that's just my musical perception of what constitutes 'pop' music though.
 I had a copy for years on a tape recorded from vinyl borrowed fro our local record library.Got a copy when i was around 10 on vinyl and finally got a cd copy on holiday in Bournemouth in 1995.Replace that with the re-mastered version in 2001.Always liked it and always will.Taurus and QE2 itself are my favourite tracks but the album as a whole stands up rather well i think.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 10:26

QE2 is the only pre-Islands album that I haven't been totally in love with. There's something disturbing about Conflict and I could live without the cover tunes.
The record tries very hard to sound "fresh", which was a common problem in the 80s. I think Mike found his way back to his true self a bit with FMO. By then he had his "groop" and his Fairlight computer and didn't need name producers to tell him what to do.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 12:18

Fair comment.I do prefer FMO (it's always on my iPod second only to TB)but i still think it hangs together better than some of his later 80's albums.I've never been that struck by either Islands or Earth Moving.For me the pinnacle of Mike's 80's will always be Crises though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 14:13

QE2 was incredibly "fresh" at the time(1980). I saw a trend going on with early Roland drum machines, mainly Genesis but others too(plus a tie-in with MO and Phil Collins working together). MO had to jump on the technology and master it too, vocoders as well. It sounded clever, fresh and exciting at the time. An exciting and jubilant album. I might not pull QE2 out as often as some other MO albums, but as a whole it stands up as another blockbuster album in his glory days. I liked it better than Platinum for sure(too disco). QE2 was to me the first in a "quadrilogy" of albums that all belonged together. QE2, FMO, Discovery and Crises. Not a bad box set right there!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 16:25

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 08 2009, 14:13)
QE2 was to me the first in a "quadrilogy" of albums that all belonged together. QE2, FMO, Discovery and Crises. Not a bad box set right there!

I group these albums together mentally. I don't know why, but I do. Just like I do with the first four. Platinum exists in a universe all of its own.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 21:14

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 08 2009, 08:45)
@Major Gowan.What a baffling thing to put on a cd cover!It is cetainly a 'lighter' album than his previus albums,Platinum not withstanding,and it is the first one not to have side long peices on it,but i wouldn't say it's anything like a pop direction.Maybe that's just my musical perception of what constitutes 'pop' music though.
 I had a copy for years on a tape recorded from vinyl borrowed fro our local record library.Got a copy when i was around 10 on vinyl and finally got a cd copy on holiday in Bournemouth in 1995.Replace that with the re-mastered version in 2001.Always liked it and always will.Taurus and QE2 itself are my favourite tracks but the album as a whole stands up rather well i think.

All the remastered CDs in the US have a small sticker on the case giving a brief description of the album. I don't remember the British versions ever having them, so maybe it's something Caroline did in order to give the potential buyer more of an idea of what to expect, as Mike Oldfield isn't that well known over here. But to say QE2 is leaning in a pop direction is very misleading!

To my ears QE2 has a very bright, upfront production, almost Phil Spector-like.
Profile PM 
79 replies since Mar. 18 2003, 22:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net