greenback Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2003, 22:46

qe2 is one of my favorite albums, not far behind amarock and airborne
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 23:45

I like it, particularlly Celt and the title track, but I felt that the production was a little harsh and the record doesn't sound quite so organic as some of Mike's earlier works, it is easier to hear all of the layers and it can get a bit boring in places because of that. Molly is a gorgeous little lullaby though, written about Mike's daughter. I think Conflict is pretty bad though. And I still find it annoying that the original Mr Potato Head, Phil Collins, plays on this record!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 02:59

I'm very fond of the album, and I would actually rate it as Mike's best album ever. The album doesn't have a single bad moment, though there are some tracks that are better than others (Taurus 1, Mirage, QE2). And I'm actually rather fond of of the rasher production of this album. If you ask me, David Hentschel is a genious.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 13:01

I like Mr Potato Head's drums on the album...  :p

There's also something about the way the synthesisers are integrated which I like, though exactly wehat might be hard to pinpoint. There seem to be a lot of different (analogue! ) textures in there.

I also find that there's a great combination of energy and accuracy in the guitar playing...and he slips the odd mandolin in there too!
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 16:20

I can't describe my feelings of this album in English.
I like it. Especially Taurus 1, Celt and Wonderful Land (unfortunately it's only a coverversion but really beutiful). I only don't like Conflict and some parts of Mirage.
I think this album is somewhere in my top 10.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2003, 05:04

This album really does seem to be ignored by a lot of fans, which is a pity as there is some really nice music on it. I love Wonderful Land, Arrival and Celt, these are the best tracks from the album. I would probably rate this album somewhere in the middle of my list, not one of the highlights, but certainly not bad either. I will have to listen to it again, I really have been forgeting about it. QE2 seems to have a way of not being noticed, even though it does have some very good stuff on it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2003, 11:44

A very good album indeed. Very, very good. Probably my favourite of all the non-epic ones.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:23

QE2 is in my opinion the best 80's album of MO - beside 5 miles out.TAURUS I is fantastic and the title track simply brilliant - the bagpipes-guitar battle in the middle is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:36

Hey, Phil Collins is cool! I like his drumming a lot on Genesis and in some Brian Eno albums.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 03:46

oh yes - Phil is just incredible...Even on his solo albums his drums are magnificent - although he sings mostly love songs there...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
stitchfan Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 04:39

QE2 is one of my absolute fave Oldfield albums from the 80's beside Islands, and Wonderful Land is my fave track on the album.
[QUOTE]
Ohana means family
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 08:39

WONDERFULL LAND is just marvelous...but i never heard an original Shadows performance.i must download it from net.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 12:44

very good indeed..i think mikes version of wonderfull land is better..i also like very much qe2, mirage, arrival and taurus 1 they're all just great :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 13:43

To my ears, Qe2 is a great album for background music, you know, soft ambience. Except for some spots. This is the kind of album that they should play in waiting rooms and lifts, not that irritating muzak. This is great relaxing stuff! Wonderful Land, Taurus I, etc. Arrival sounds great on here, even though I haven't heard the ABBA original.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 13:58

The ABBA original of Arrival is also a great track,they did'nt do many instrumentals,but they are great writers of music,the main difference is that ABBA use multi layers of vocals,and Mike uses use vocal instrument,namely his wonderful guitar,like ABBA said "Thank You For The Music" :D
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 14:43

ARRIVAL by abba is a nice tune - i heard it shortly before buying QE2...i like both versions!!! MO has more guitar, Abba has got more vocals (-;

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Paul S Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2003, 10:17

Funnily enough i rediscovered my copy of QE2 only last week, been listening to it a lot, and am now wondering why its taken so long for me to revisit it. :O
Can't really say i don't like any of the tracks, but the one that stands out for me (still!;) is Celt  :D

Cheers

Paul
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 10:32

Can't really say why, but my favourite seems to be Sheba. I listened to this song some good 20 times last weekend.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2003, 23:10

QE2- overall great listening...but anyway, I liked it right from the start :cool:  Sheba's my fav, too- that's just about the limit!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2003, 07:34

Me.
Fav ones are Taurus I.
Also Sheba.
Also Mirage.
Also Wonderful Land.
Arrival,a bit kitsch like all Abba songs.But Mike´s guitar nope.
Philip David Charles Collins´drums meets Michael Gordon Oldfield´s music and amazing guitar.Both I like much.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
79 replies since Mar. 18 2003, 22:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net