Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: qe2: a very good album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 10:55

QE2 is a fantastic album, no doubt there. But I cant dissagree more about Phil Collins. He was the most powerful drummer in rock history(IMO) and most clever. Blows away Cozy Powell, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford....all of them. Thats saying a lot. His solo carreer I ignore, Genesis only for me. His vocals were incredible. Kind of a cross between Justin Hayward and Steve Perry(Journey). Then age and cigs kind of degraded his voice. Despite his ego and drastically commercial solo efforts, he rates up there with MO. But he needed Banks and Rutherford at the least(Hackett, even better) to achieve that rating by me. I'd love to see him take on a project again with MO.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 12:22

This proves how subjective the appreciation of music is.  I would never in a billion years call Phil Collins the greatest drummer ever - he is proficient, and has a highly recognizable sound.  His singing voice is sonic cheese-grater for the ears!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 13:15

OK.....different strokes for different folks. But when I procured "Trick" in 1976, I found a male vocalist I thought equalled Hayward or others like him. Incredible voice.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 14:24

BTW Smill, you never answered me. We both like Kubrick. Do you like Tarantino? Did u see Inglorious Basterds?

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 14:34

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 19 2010, 10:55)

I never "got" Carl Palmer. I really love Tarkus but the drum track sounds sloppy and uninspired. He's OK on Karn Evil 9, but he doesn't exactly steal the show.
I'm sure Pierre Moerlen or Morris Pert would have done justice to Mount Teide, but Palmer's seemingly random drum-loops throughout the song makes me lose interest.

Phil Collins is/was a top class drummer but I haven't heard him play anything as inspired as Bill Bruford's playing on King Crimon's "Red". He's also a great singer, but without good tunes to sing his voice doesn't save the day. Someone like Robert Wyatt can sing just about anything and induce goosebumps.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 15:25

Not shared this before, but two years ago (mid-January) I dreamt a dream with "Molly" music in it, and woke knowing it was an Oldfield track but I didn't know which one, or if it was from Platinum or QE2. Knew it was the last track. Affected me with a kind of haunted warm glow for the rest of the day, I remember - like I was under a spell. :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 15:55

I know what you mean.....not to de-rail your dreams. Anyway, and this is true, around 1968, when I lived in Taiwan, I had a dream where I heard the "signature" bassy part from TB1. No dream was sonically that accurate. In 1974 or '75, prior to Ommadawn, I had a dream(I had never seen MO's photo before and was told he was a bald man). I saw a record cover with the exact face and sorroundings. Once the LP was on the shelves I saw it and felt slightly strange. Of course I bought it on the spot. The Tube-net folks think I am a flake, but I did have these dreams. For real.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 16:02

:O  wooooo!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 18:44

Hey Jim I believe you my friend. You aren't a flake at all. Mike's music can draw you in....even if it is only background music. Iv had some pretty powerful dreams after listening to songs like Sentinel and Wild Goose Flaps its Wings. Surreal, colourful, emotional, scary, beautiful, alien, familiar. Ok, and thats without alcohol or drugs! Needless to say I only listen to his music when Im feeling ok. If you feel down best not to put Mike's music on. Your mind links music with how you feel. If a bad day the music will be associated with a negative emotion. His music is powerful and evokes many moods and themes. Deb
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 19:32

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 12 2009, 07:28)
Makes me think of Metal Mickey (now i'm showing my age).I actually think Mikes late 80's output sounds far more dated as it all seems to have the big shiny,or sparkle if you prefer,production job.All except Amarok which is absolutly perfect in every possible way.Biased?Me?Not at all!!! :laugh:

Boogie boogie, my little fruit bat!  :D
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 20:03

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 19 2010, 19:24)
BTW Smill, you never answered me. We both like Kubrick. Do you like Tarantino? Did u see Inglorious Basterds?

No, I don't like Tarantino's films at all.  I haven't seen Inglorius Basterds either.  Any good?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 05:41

Quote (smillsoid @ Jan. 19 2010, 20:03)
Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 19 2010, 19:24)

No, I don't like Tarantino's films at all.  I haven't seen Inglorius Basterds either.  Any good?

Mike clearly is a fan of at least one Kubrick film: 2001: A Space Odyssey. The video of "The Windchimes" has umpteen bones flying in space, a multiple endorsement of Kubrick's one!

I can't see MO enjoying A Clockwork Orange, although it's one of my favourite films (even though the first ten minutes or so - just past the moment where they're playing "hogs of the road" - is so wildly exhilharating that the rest of the film can't help but seem a little anticlimactic).

My all time favourite film (if anyone is interested): Antonioni's Blow Up. Another favourite, but much less well known is Tsukerman's Liquid Sky.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 07:53

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 19 2010, 19:32)
Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 12 2009, 07:28)
Makes me think of Metal Mickey (now i'm showing my age).I actually think Mikes late 80's output sounds far more dated as it all seems to have the big shiny,or sparkle if you prefer,production job.All except Amarok which is absolutly perfect in every possible way.Biased?Me?Not at all!!! :laugh:

Boogie boogie, my little fruit bat!  :D

Lol.I'd almost forgotten that.35 today so i guess i was 7(ish)when Metal Mickey was about.Thank you Mickey Dolenz!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 13:48

Surely you like Pulp Fiction. The ultimate roll on the floor/split yer guts laugh-ride of the 20th century? Kill Bill did not bless me. Inglorious Basterds is great tho. Brad Pitt and his buddies carving up nazi's in WW2 France and loving it. Lots of subtitles, so if you wear glasses, get 'em.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 15:12

Pulp Fiction?  No.

Actually, Mike is a fan of "A Clockwork Orange" - especially Kubrick's use of music in it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 15:32

Having said u never saw Pulp Fiction is like never hearing of Star Trek. Go rent it. Or torrent it. Samuel L. Jackson carries most of the acting "load". But John Travolta and the rest are incredible. Man alive, not seeing this flick is like saying you never saw Titanic. Have fun, gimme some news I can use.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 19:42

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 20 2010, 15:32)
Having said u never saw Pulp Fiction is like never hearing of Star Trek. Go rent it. Or torrent it. Samuel L. Jackson carries most of the acting "load". But John Travolta and the rest are incredible. Man alive, not seeing this flick is like saying you never saw Titanic. Have fun, gimme some news I can use.

With Tarantino you always get the feeling that art will always be subordinated to entertainment, and that's why, in my opinion, he'll never be in the same league as those directors, like Antonioni, Bunuel etc who are willing to take chances.

As for Star Trek, I always found the plots rather anemic - there was only one story in the first series, for example, ("The Menagerie") that wasn't just glorified cops and robbers. And the later series seemed to exist primarily to reflect the issues and concerns of American society at the time they were made. (And those corny aliens!!;)
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 20:37

Eh?  I've seen Pulp Fiction!  I just didn't like it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 00:24

But I cant dissagree more about Phil Collins. He was the most powerful drummer in rock history(IMO) and most clever

I would reccomend Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche's solo album, Mobile.  The style is different, but the percussion is so damn artful.  Fantastic.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:59

QE2 is a nice concise Oldfield LP. None of the tracks outstay their welcome. Taurus 1 is ok, and Sheba is lovely! I like the title track as it does really evoke images of the great ship itself at full steam! The remastered version is a sonic improvement!
Profile PM WEB 
79 replies since Mar. 18 2003, 22:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net