Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: QE2 - how did you discover it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mercuryvapour Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2012, 21:32

Am I the only one who discovered QE2 pretty much by chance?

It was a few years ago. I was down the local market, and found a copy of "Arrival" on vinyl. I'd not heard of it. I didn't even know it was an Abba song originally. Came home, played it, loved it. A couple of weeks later, I was down the same market, with a different stall holder seemingly either getting rid of vinyl, or was incredibly bad at maths, albums 50p each or 7 for £1. Needless to say, I grabbed 7, with absolutely mint copies of QE2, Five Miles out and Platinum included.

I never really listened to the other two, but QE2 instantly became a firm favourite. The earliest my collection went back before this was Crises.
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2012, 07:21

Mine would have been as part of my slow collection of the albums over the years. I had a few before the HDCD masters came out but I don't believe I owned a version of QE2 prior to that. I sadly have no memory of my first experience of it - I may even have bought more than one Oldfield album that day and just had a blur of music.

What I *do* know is if I want to explain my liking of the man's music in under eight minutes, I stick on the title track.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2012, 04:13

'Discovered' it when it came out! Was just a tad disappointed after the masterpiece that was Platinum. LAst MO I bought before TB-2.

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 01:18

Saw it in the record store in 1980 or 81. I remember being extremely pleased with it. It stayed on the turntable for quite some time.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: June 19 2015, 10:23

I heard QE2 for the first time a few weeks back. My first Oldfield album ever.

I was surprised that the Wikipedia aggregator only gives it 3 stars. Its a definite 4-5 stars for me, I loved it.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
4 replies since Aug. 22 2012, 21:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net