Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Q Magazine October 2009, Article about Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 10:11

The October 2009 issue of Q Magazine (Issue number 279) has a four page article on Mike Oldfield including various pictures of Mike relaxing in the Bahamas.
Thanks, yanouch65

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 11:01

The October edition of Mojo magazine also has a large feature on Mike and Tubular Bells

peace x
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 13:30

The Q & Mojo sites are still showing the September Editions as their current issues ! Don't know the release dates !  :(
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 13:55

Apart from the quite interesting pics of Mike,I wanna read the article,let's see what he has to say now...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2009, 17:19

It can be read in the main title: "... he senses future disasters, hates music and has no friends"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 14:17

Sadly, yet again, he seems to have given the interviewer a hard time, this time refusing to answer any question starting with 'why'!  And, yes, as mentioned above, he says he hates music, has no friends (except Richard Branson!) and can foresee disasters such as 9/11.

If I'm honest, I have to confess to a degree of frustration - whilst he is, obviously, the epitome of the 'tortured genius' and has more emotional baggage than most, he's got very very rich as a result of me, all of you and millions of others buying his albums so it would be nice if we could read something insightful rather than accounts of his rants at the use of the word 'why' in questions, leaving the interviewer waiting for half an hour outside his house or any of the other incidents that have been variously reported over the years.  But, of course, the biggest frustration is that it's now 10 years since the last major tour and 4 years since the last self-played album (that's an even bigger gap than the one between Ommadawn & Incantations which seemed like an eternity at the time!).

The sad thing is, he's still capable of great things.  Whilst MOTS is not one of my favourites, was listening to Musica Universalis today and couldn't help thinking that if it had been performed 'electrically' with strong rhythms, the muted guitar accompaniment and the trademark 'screaming' guitar on top, it could have been one of his best ever pieces.  The only comfort I draw from this article is that, as he's prone to say one thing and do the opposite, the fact that he said that he has 'no plans to create any more music' probably means that his greatest work is yet to come!
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 15:27

Quote (Nige @ Aug. 23 2009, 14:17)
Sadly, yet again, he seems to have given the interviewer a hard time, this time refusing to answer any question starting with 'why'!  And, yes, as mentioned above, he says he hates music, has no friends (except Richard Branson!;) and can foresee disasters such as 9/11.

If I'm honest, I have to confess to a degree of frustration - whilst he is, obviously, the epitome of the 'tortured genius' and has more emotional baggage than most, he's got very very rich as a result of me, all of you and millions of others buying his albums so it would be nice if we could read something insightful rather than accounts of his rants at the use of the word 'why' in questions, leaving the interviewer waiting for half an hour outside his house or any of the other incidents that have been variously reported over the years.  But, of course, the biggest frustration is that it's now 10 years since the last major tour and 4 years since the last self-played album (that's an even bigger gap than the one between Ommadawn & Incantations which seemed like an eternity at the time!;).

The sad thing is, he's still capable of great things.  Whilst MOTS is not one of my favourites, was listening to Musica Universalis today and couldn't help thinking that if it had been performed 'electrically' with strong rhythms, the muted guitar accompaniment and the trademark 'screaming' guitar on top, it could have been one of his best ever pieces.  The only comfort I draw from this article is that, as he's prone to say one thing and do the opposite, the fact that he said that he has 'no plans to create any more music' probably means that his greatest work is yet to come!

I don't know the full story of course but seems like something's upset him and hes reacting in an oppositional somewhat slightly innapropriate manner. Almost infantile.

He needs to accept that the whole point of interviews is to explain 'why.'  If he could just adopt a different approach to interviewers and interviews instead of being defensive he could succeed in 'getting freinds.'  Sometimes interviewers can be intrusive but he needs to realise that that's their job.- And if he could just learn to improve his communication skills in order to gain some control over what he's being asked then he could turn some situations in his favour. Surely he's allowed to look at a list of questions before hand in order for him to accept the interview or not? I know that this is sometimes the case with TV interviewing.

Many of us would love recognition for our abilities, and to few does this opportunity come. In a manner of speaking, Fate's been kind to him but he needs to be careful in how he deals with people, his success and his ego, because sometimes 'appearing' arrogant can turn people and opprtunities away.

If people gave him no attention at all, no doubt he'd be upset then and wonder why he's not being recognised.
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 16:05

Does anyone else think MO might be fast approaching a completion of a big cycle in his life ?
It seems as if he is returning to his youth again in some ways,
almost as if he is returning inward,withdrawing,becoming unsettled and angry about stuff all over again.....no real friends apart from RB?......Maybe he will return to the UK and start flying gliders again over the Ridge again and actually make a really emotional epic last album.

Not been around here for a while,and I dont know about the article (have really lost track of MO and his antics,but from what is being said here,it sounds like what is happening with him imo !;)

Bleat
:cool:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 17:45

It could be male menopause. Men during this time, either buy a Harley or chase every skirt they see, or any number of outlets.  What I don't get is, if this guy doesn't like to be interviewed, why doesn't he just say "no"?

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 18:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 23 2009, 17:45)
It could be male menopause. Men during this time, either buy a Harley or chase every skirt they see, or any number of outlets.  What I don't get is, if this guy doesn't like to be interviewed, why doesn't he just say "no"?

Mike oldfields an enigma. sometimes he's histrionic and wants/ needs the attention then hes avoidant and wants to run away. Isnt he a bit old for another mid life crises?

'crises crises and he can't get away' :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 23 2009, 20:54

What I've been noticing from many interviews is the fact that the interviewer doesn't know how to deal with Mike,and of course,Mike gets bored and a bit agressive while being interviewed,even with childish attitudes. Once I've discussed with a friend of mine who's also a MO fan,and he said that sometimes he feels that when Mike's interviewed,it seems to be that his kinda of playing a character,not being 100% himself...maybe it can be,maybe not.

That Bahamas video interview was sooo nice to watch Mike relaxed during it...never seen him that way before.The interviewer let him flow it...and that leaded to great job.

I'd like to see scans of both Q and Mojo mags while my mags don't arrive here(both are not hard to buy where I live),so I can read and make a fair more decent analysis...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 01:52

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 23 2009, 20:54)
What I've been noticing from many interviews is the fact that the interviewer doesn't know how to deal with Mike,and of course,Mike gets bored and a bit agressive while being interviewed,even with childish attitudes. Once I've discussed with a friend of mike who's also a MO fan,and he said that sometimes he feels that when Mike's interviewed,it seems to be that his kinda of playing a character,not being 100% himself...maybe it can be,maybe not.

That Bahamas video interview was sooo nice to watch Mike relaxed during it...never seen him that way before.The interviewer let him flow it...and that leaded to great job.

I'd like to see scans of both Q and Mojo mags while my mags don't arrive here(both are not hard to buy where I live),so I can read and make a fair more decent analysis...

you're right Tati, about the 'playing a character' thing and all people have those qualities, when faced with situations. The technical term is 'personality peculiarities.' Teachers use them to teach. Everyone has them.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 01:57

Theres something about that Bahamas video; I know people have said he looks relaxed, but Inever agreed with that. To me he was constantly distracting himself away from the interview, and he was being overly positive as if he was trying to like the interview, when in reality he wanted to be else where.

I dont think he was comfortable at all; watch it again you might see what I mean.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 03:56

Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 24 2009, 07:57)
Theres something about that Bahamas video; I know people have said he looks relaxed, but Inever agreed with that. To me he was constantly distracting himself away from the interview, and he was being overly positive as if he was trying to like the interview, when in reality he wanted to be else where.

I dont think he was comfortable at all; watch it again you might see what I mean.

Well, I actually don't need to see it again, I know what you mean. But just to make my point I played it again :
He is looking evasive, and sometimes switches from answering  a question to directing the interviewer towards a new question...  And quite a "wow"- factor in his story, that is very unlike Mike in my opinion........ He is putting a mask on...  

With the Q-interview it would be nice to hear the reason for not wanting questions that start with "why" from Mike himself...
Although it is still strange, because a good interviewer wouldn't be to bothered with this restriction, because he will replace "Why" by something like "What was the reason to...." ....
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 05:16

because he will replace "Why" by something like "What was the reason to...." .... Reena

yes thats right.

The reason he doesnt like the word 'why could stem back to 'Tubular Bells' and people were asking why, and asking the same question regarding his other peices of music.

I'v noticed that him and his siblings seem to like to think their 'music comes from nowhere' but this isnt true. Nothing like that is possible.
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 08:31

IMHO,the word "why" to Mike Oldfield means that he has to justify himself about everything he does...everything he has done has a reason,and they want to know that reason behind.

...the most typical case is when the interviewer comes and asks him "why did you write TB?" for example...can you imagine,you spent more than 36 years of of life with people asking you this question for many many times...if it was me,I'd be probably bothered with it.Seems that the interviewers don't have much to ask Mike,and they go into the very same questions,all over again  :(

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 13:20

'Musicains don't like me...and I don't like them' !

Link: Mojo

:D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 15:03

Is it just me or is Mojo just a Beatles fanzine these days? I mean how many articles about the Fab Four can people write and still have anything new to say?

The front cover has 'Exclusive! The Beatles - Paul Speaks'

Presumably just like he did in the last issue. And the one before that, and the one before that and the one before that and so on back to the dawn of time. I wouldn't put it past Mojo to dig up John Lennon's body for an 'Exclusive' interview.  

Anyway just bought the mag and the article on our man from the dark side of the force, ie Mike, is interesting if only because it dispels any doubt that he's now without question the worlds biggest misanthrope. Its basically the story of Tubular Bells incase you didn't know it already, there's nothing very much that's new, though they conducted new interviews with Tom Newman, Simon Heyworth, David Bedford and Steve Broughton to get their insight into the whole thing though again there's not much that hasn't been said before.

Like I said the only thing you draw from the new interview with Mike is what a bitter and twisted man he's become. It doesn't sound like he's close to any of his nine kids and only trusts lawyers (a certifiable thing to say, pass the straight jacket)  

In response to some of the debate earlier in this thread and some fans being endlessly apologetic on Mike's behalf about him not being asked considerate questions and interviewers not understanding him - I think that's all laughable. Who does understand Mike? Certainly not his fans and certainly not the man himself by the sounds of things. I've followed his music for over twenty years and read every interview I've ever managed to get hold of and I would say I understand him less now than I ever have done, or thought I've done. He's a very sad, spent and exhausted artist and human being that's for sure, though again that much we maybe did know before too.

Still, I love Amarok  ;)
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 15:37

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 24 2009, 15:03)
Is it just me or is Mojo just a Beatles fanzine these days? I mean how many articles about the Fab Four can people write and still have anything new to say?

The front cover has 'Exclusive! The Beatles - Paul Speaks'

Presumably just like he did in the last issue. And the one before that, and the one before that and the one before that and on so on back to the dawn of time. I wouldn't put it past Mojo to dig up Jown Lennon's body for an 'Exclusive' interview.  

Anyway just bought the mag and the article on our man from the dark side of the force, ie Mike, is interesting if only because it dispels any doubt that he's now without question the worlds biggest misanthrope. Its basically the story of Tubular Bells incase you didn't know it already, there's nothing very much that's new, though they conducted new interviews with Tom Newman, Simon Heyworth, David Bedford and Steve Broughton to get their insight into the whole thing though again there's not much that hasn't been said before.

Like I said the only thing you draw from the new interview with Mike is what a bitter and twisted man he's become. It doesn't sound like he's close to any of his nine kids and only trusts lawyers.

In response to some of the debate earlier in this thread and some fans being endlessly apologetic on Mike's behalf about him not being asked considerate questions and interviewers not understanding him - I think that's all laughable. Who does understand Mike? Certainly not his fans and certainly not the man himself by the sounds of things. I've followed his music for over twenty years and read every interview I've ever managed to get hold of and I would say I understand him less now than I ever have done, or thought I've done. He's a very sad, spent and exhausted artist and human being that's for sure, though again that much we maybe did know before too.

Still, I love Amarok  ;)

You're quite right in lots of ways TOBY like I said earlier Mr Oldfield does need to take some responsibility and improve his communiactionproblems. The thing is, we have to be constructive with the criticism some times.

I think,(although we cant judge ) that I understand why you percieve him not to be emmensley close with his family although no question in my mind he cares for each and every member in his own way.

I can relate to some things; Although I've not had a lot to do with him, My father is a singer in Newcastle (England), and he has had lots of children with various ladies, me being his first child. He has been married twice, and all in all he is rumoured to have over 20 children.

As for his own childhood he was in lots of different care homes, and he has very deep seated issues now. He finds it hard to relate to people especially women and he speaks about himself in too much of a 'golden light' and he is a very arrogant and immature man now. Needless to say although me and my siblings have encountered some difficult times with him, because he finds showing affection hard he does love each of us.

Hes very selfish and is wrapped up in his own endeavours and he boasts a lot, but there are breif moments when he feels happy to interact with his children.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 15:59

Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 24 2009, 15:37)
I think,(although we cant judge ) that I understand why you percieve him not to be emmensley close with his family although no question in my mind he cares for each and every member in his own way.

I'm sure you're totally right, I'm sure he does care for them in his own individual way but the fact of the matter is he employs a whole team of lawyers (going by that other interview) to deal with his kids and says in the Mojo interview - quote 'he grumps that his nine children by three partners 'all live in another world'

Which sounds a bit rich considering that if there's one person who genuinely lives in another world it is of course Mike. I would imagine all his kids probably live in the real world where people aren't generally bitter and twisted multimillionaires adrift literally and metaphorically on their yacht in the Bahamas.  

Not that any of this is any business of the fans of course but Mike seems more than happy to make it public knowledge so I guess it'll be discussed.
Profile PM 
126 replies since Aug. 22 2009, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net