Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Q Magazine October 2009, Article about Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:24

Crikey I didnt know he said all of that stuff, how did you manage to read the article? I havent read anything you see.  Yes hes showing common traits hes very much involved in his own opinions.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:27

I wonder what event/s have happened for this change of behavoiur in him all of a sudden, as things seemed to be better.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:49

Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 24 2009, 17:24)
Crikey I didnt know he said all of that stuff, how did you manage to read the article?

Like I said I bought Mojo this afternoon. Still haven't seen Q yet, it'll be interesting to see what he has to say in that. Probably more of the same.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:55

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 24 2009, 17:49)
Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 24 2009, 17:24)
Crikey I didnt know he said all of that stuff, how did you manage to read the article?

Like I said I bought Mojo this afternoon. Still haven't seen Q yet, it'll be interesting to see what he has to say in that. Probably more of the same.

I dont really buy nmagazines, it might be on the interent soon no doubt. Thanks.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 18:01

mike oldfield will always be an enigma, however, as a truly devoted fan, this 'mysterious persona' image mike continually portrays is starting to wear thin for me. Maybe just for once mike would like to give his fans a true insight into what he is currently doing, what (if anything) he intends to do and stop putting on this idiotic 'i hate everyone, everyone hates me' mask. I am a fan of mike, not only for his music, but just as much for his individuality, and the way that no one has ever been able to pidgeon hole mikes music...this is what made him unique and stand out from the crowd. However, if i'd have wanted to follow a miserable, searly and downright arrogant musician, i'd have got into punk in the 70's. But no, i stuck with you Mr Oldfield, my hero and my idle. I just wish you would acknowledge us, your loyal fans for once and spare us of your ridiculous rants and ravings. Its now wearing thin with me, a loyal fan so god knows what those folk who never liked your music think.
Mike Oldfield is the greatest, most under-rated musician this country has ever seen but god, you need to quit the 'im a recluse, a loner, nobody loves me' routine from your new bahamas home. Jeez man, it's us who continually buy your stuff who put you there.
Repay our faith and give us something new. Im sick and tired of regurgitated TB this, TB that. Come on Mike, your better than this.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 18:20

Quote (Ratty @ Aug. 24 2009, 18:01)
mike oldfield will always be an enigma, however, as a truly devoted fan, this 'mysterious persona' image mike continually portrays is starting to wear thin for me. Maybe just for once mike would like to give his fans a true insight into what he is currently doing, what (if anything) he intends to do and stop putting on this idiotic 'i hate everyone, everyone hates me' mask. I am a fan of mike, not only for his music, but just as much for his individuality, and the way that no one has ever been able to pidgeon hole mikes music...this is what made him unique and stand out from the crowd. However, if i'd have wanted to follow a miserable, searly and downright arrogant musician, i'd have got into punk in the 70's. But no, i stuck with you Mr Oldfield, my hero and my idle. I just wish you would acknowledge us, your loyal fans for once and spare us of your ridiculous rants and ravings. Its now wearing thin with me, a loyal fan so god knows what those folk who never liked your music think.
Mike Oldfield is the greatest, most under-rated musician this country has ever seen but god, you need to quit the 'im a recluse, a loner, nobody loves me' routine from your new bahamas home. Jeez man, it's us who continually buy your stuff who put you there.
Repay our faith and give us something new. Im sick and tired of regurgitated TB this, TB that. Come on Mike, your better than this.

No truer words have been spoken! x
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 03:23

Well, reading some of the stuff that is being said by Mike in the interview it doesn't make me smile a lot.  He seems to be angry about a lot of things.

Hopefully things will turn out for the better for Mike, and with that hopefully he will realize that this way of answering interviewers is probably not the best way of getting your fans enthusiastic about future releases (music, or whatever.... ).
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 04:28

Well - even though Belgium is next to the UK, it does take ages for magazines to get here! I have not seen the articles, but  it sounds like nothing has changed - this is how it's always been since I got on the Oldfield wagon when Incantations was the new 'record'. Mike is Mike and that is that! We have the music, that is the most important thing surely? He's just not going to be the sort of chap who'd come round for tea and a nice chat!! A lot of us have been on the wrong end of a request for an autograph - I'm proud to say that, I too, have been snarled at by Mike Oldfield.

Now it is just about impossible to buy any Virgin time Oldfield releases, I just hope that any new fan is not missing out while Hergest Ridge onwards is unavailable..... What news of the rereleases?

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 07:50

How depressing all of this sounds! :/
I don't really understand what he's got to be bitter or angry about.  He's a gifted composer and musician with a (very) healthy bank balance, a devoted fan base and international recognition all of which is exactly what he would want, surely?  All this 'billy-no-mates' stuff is a red-herring as well: he's married with a young family, so that hardly makes him some miserable old so-and-so that nobody cares about.  Okay, maybe not everything is 100% perfect in his life, but then that's the same for everyone, isn't it?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 08:22

I've just had a quick peak at both Q and Mojo. Note these are apparently "sister" magazines though the two articles have a different focus with different credited authors. The Mojo article is mostly about the recording of Tubular Bells and the Q article a bit more focussed on Mike himself.

Quite a lot of negative stuff in both articles, particularly the Q one, but some happier comments as well ("I have moments of wonderful happiness but still there's a lot of stress I have to deal with").

My favourite bit of the Q article is the "Why" bit at the beginning. Interviewer decides to ask in Changeling "Why the years 1990-2006 are afforded a mere 12 pages?" At which point Mike loses the plot pointing out that if he had read the book he would know not to ask "why" questions  :laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 08:25

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 24 2009, 21:59)
but the fact of the matter is he employs a whole team of lawyers (going by that other interview) to deal with his kids and says in the Mojo interview - quote 'he grumps that his nine children by three partners 'all live in another world'

Which sounds a bit rich considering that if there's one person who genuinely lives in another world it is of course Mike. I would imagine all his kids probably live in the real world where people aren't generally bitter and twisted multimillionaires adrift literally and metaphorically on their yacht in the Bahamas.  

Not that any of this is any business of the fans of course but Mike seems more than happy to make it public knowledge so I guess it'll be discussed.

Didn't Mike have "just" seven children ?

And didn't he claim that with Eugene and Jake his relation was normal a while ago ?

I've lost track apparently....
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 08:26

Just bought Q today, its a great article and interview. Its part of a big section in Q about rocks biggest nut cases and guess who gets the biggest feature? There's a big photo of Mike coming out of the sea in his swimming drunks a la Danial Craig in James Bond which is as hilarious as it is grotesque. Lots of endless complaints and endless moaning about his life and his hatred for pretty much everything. He hates all music and has now gotton well over his obsession with it, he obviously now blames music for ruining his life.

Nutcase indeed.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 08:27

Quote (Silver Negus @ Aug. 24 2009, 23:27)
I wonder what event/s have happened for this change of behavoiur in him all of a sudden, as things seemed to be better.

You know, the first the thing which spring to my mind was, that Bahamas was just a Ibiza part deux...

And I'm just guessing here, but :

He comes to an Island(s) which is famous for partying and freaking out..
He has easy access to drugs - and a lot of it. The drinks are very cheap, the women are easy and everybody just party all the time.
I think that Fanny is more interested in the children and thus they live a more separate world as time goes by.
Ibiza almost killed MO, because he could use the nightclubs, drugs and huge amounts of alcohol to keep his demons at bay, but it tears on the body.
Bahamas, I suspect, is just a re-run of the Ibiza period and MO will crash on this one, unless he wakes up before flushing Fanny away and the demons overwhelm him..

I don't think MO is "acting" strange to create interest, he is doing so because of his mental anguish is coming back with bells on..

Just my 2 cents worth..
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 08:40

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 25 2009, 13:26)
Just bought Q today, its a great article and interview. Its part of a big section in Q about rocks biggest nut cases and guess who gets the biggest feature? There's a big photo of Mike coming out of the sea in his swimming drunks a la Danial Craig in James Bond which is as hilarious as it is grotesque. Lots of endless complaints and endless moaning about his life and his hatred for pretty much everything. He hates all music and has now gotton well over his obsession with it, he obviously now blames music for ruining his life.

Nutcase indeed.

Oh crikey! "He hates all music"? WTF? He must be yanking the interviewer's chain, right? Or silly posturing just to get some attention (why for God's sake?)

I'm kinda hoping this is all a monumental p***-take, 'cos if it isn't...

-Chill out Mike, have a cold Guinness mate and JUST RELAX  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 09:03

Oh those intelligent people(except their emotional side)...so difficult to understand!

I've always thought that the moving from Mallorca to Bahamas was so strange,it came from out of the blue,we don't know why he has left Mallorca like when he moved from England because of the smoking ban.

Okidoki,apart from the *interesting* pics of Mike on the Q Mag,one part of me has noticed that something might be wrong...with all those "Mike Oldfield with lasers" moments,geez...seems to me that apart from living in such a beautiful place,there's something wrong on his personal life,maybe another midlife crises plus other things we don't know what they are.

TB was rereleased last June,and once again they're still discussing this on articles,it seems that the only thing that it's interesting to have an article feat Mike is when you talk about TB all over again...come on!

I don't wanna see him getting into another seft-destroying route like it was in Ibiza,some of his recent quotes seems so coke-boosted to me(hope he hasn't returned to it),there are a lot of things that must be annoying him at the moment and he doesn't know how to get rid of it propely.

Mike's anger regarding the music industry is nothing new,about 20 years ago he was attacking it and even moved to a tent in front of Roughwood Croft to protest against bad music,this time he's become more furious on the subject.

If this emotional storm that seems he's currently facing it at the moment would lead to another piece of music,I don't know...in the past that happened a lot,let's wait and see,although I'm more anxious to see him happy and confortable on his own skin once again asap.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 09:32

It might be post-natal depression.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 09:37

I have not read the Q magazine interview but I have seen the Bahamas video interview. I want to speak about all I have read it this thread: his loneliness, the way he acts recently, what he is becoming.

I must say that yes, he seemed very evasive in the video interview; great rain and thunder was going on outside but he was disturbed by the interviewer, like if he just wanted to show him how great the weather was; I understand this because I always felt his music was inspired by nature and that what I like. The problem is that he could just give 5 minutes of his time totally to the interviewer simply by respect and concentrate on it instead of thinking about the weather he's missing.

On the other hand, there's this fact: interviewers are not fans. They just do their job to interview an artist to promote something new. When you look at this, you only see the medias and their money interests; it is not a great motivation to do a real good interview; he have done it a lot of times to give good interviews to commercial medias, maybe he's just very tired of them? In the case of Mike, 90% of the time, the subject is Tubular Bells and it's many different releases over the years. Imagine, you are a great composer with more that 20 albums, and every time you give an interview it's about the same album, the first you did, and feel recognized only because of this one. Personally, I think I would see society a little dumb, thinking "hey everyone, there's not just Tubular Bells in my career. There are some other great things too." But obviously, because interviewers are not fans, they always ask the same questions over, and over, and over, and over again about the same album. Mike is paradoxically victim today of what had make him famous. Maybe the reason he devoted a great part of his auto-biography to Tubular Bell was to finally answer all questions for everyone and have peace once and for all about Tubular Bells.

I think that Mike should be interviewed by his fans. Real, deep, original, different questions that he never heard. I would be curious how Mike would react to such an announcement: next interview are 30 questions coming straight from the fans. Maybe I'm pessimist, but I think that will never happen because interviews are always about commercial issues so fans will probably never have the chance to interview him about QE2, Islands or Tubular Bells 2 and 3.

Mike have always been in his world and that what makes his music the way we all love it. We are not him, so we can't know what it is to be in his situation. He said often that he his more of a loner, never really liked society. Maybe he did the best he could all his life to cope with this reality and his fame, and now he is very tired and simply wants retirement. It's something that inevitably happens.

But like Scatterplot said: "What I don't get is, if this guy doesn't like to be interviewed, why doesn't he just say "no"?"

Good question!! It's not about money, he is rich. Maybe that's an old habit he have difficulties stop doing? We don't know, maybe it's hard after a long career just to put the final ending: no more music, no more interview, no more tour, just peace and retirement. Maybe in 1973 he was not happy with popularity, but it could have grown on him and now he have hard times stopping it!

So there's a lot of questions I always wanted to ask Mike, and few of them have ever been answered by commercial interviews.

I hope he is happy and in my humble opinion, if he wants to do the finger to the next Tubular Bells interviewer, I will just laugh at the situation. I wish him peace and if he ever come back with a new album, I will be happy has always; maybe he's not a good speaker, but he's a good composer and that's the whole point.

To conclude, all of us here know him by his music. But has anyone here ever spend time in the company of Mike as a close friend? I'm sure he's a great person to be with. But as we see him only through medias like TV, magazines, radio or autograph sessions, our perception of him is twisted. So I dream to spend a week-end with him to know the real man; but I will certainly not let the medias decide how I see him.

I think he don't have much respect for medias.
But he have deep respect for his fans because he always compose great music for them.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 10:01

Some interesting points, Drealm.

In a way it must be annoying to have to keep answering the same questions over and over again. It's always about Tubular Bells and the other albums and projects always take a back seat if they're even mentioned at all. And yet MO keeps returning to the TB concept over and over again himself - it's his signature, his calling card I guess, and the thing that makes him identifiable with the general public.  I can only think that he both loves and hates this situation now. He's achieved enormous fame and success and yet he's still pigeon-holed and stereo-typed by the majority of the 'kewl'/mainstream media. Personally I can't see a solution to this problem: he is who he is and his music is special and unique. If that means he's forever a prisoner of the iconic leviathan that is TB, so be it.  I only hope he doesn't give up on making such inspiring and beautiful music just because he has 'issues' with the media or the music industry.

--------------

Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 10:09

Quote (Drealm @ Aug. 25 2009, 15:37)
I think he don't have much respect for medias.
But he have deep respect for his fans because he always compose great music for them.

You couldn't be more wrong in my humble opinion.
9 times out 10, MO makes the music he does because it comes from within (as a catalyst). The 1 time when he deviate, is because of commercial/ contract obligations.

I really don't think he cares of his fans in any way.
They are needed to get butter on the bread, but in all other aspects he just doesn't care..
And in some strange way I think I understand him, private person that he is.
It most be exhausting that everybody wants a piece of him where ever he goes and what ever he do..
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 10:18

I remember that last year Universal Music Italia tried to talk to him about doing an interview about MOTS in July and he said no,since the promotional period was over.He can say no to interviews when he wants to do it so.

In 2003,there was a journalist from a mag who came in here and asked us to suggest questions for him to ask Mike,and some of them really got into the final version,that was quite nice. But on the other side,on the 2 webchats he had with his fans on BBC Radio 2 in 2002 and 2003,he wasn't much interested in answering questions about his music...

I wish I had the chance to meet the man one day,the snippets we have from what he likes besides his truly gifted musical side is quite interesting,and there's one part of me that says that the person Michael Gordon Oldfield is not like Mike Oldfield the musician/composer/guitarist...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
126 replies since Aug. 22 2009, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net