Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Punkadiddle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 15 2003, 13:04

Mike said at one point that he felt that punk rock made fun of music, so perhaps Punkadiddle was Mike's idea of having music make fun of punk rock.

This is a quote from the section Platinum in the discography (korgscrew, I know it's copyrighted, I'm sorry to be a bit criminal ;) ).

I don't know much about punk music, only heard some at party's and from friends. So I was wondering: what has punkadiddle actually to do with punk? Is it just because there is a simple drum (whitch actually doesn't sound like a punk-like drum to me)? Or is it because by example at 1'49'' the harmony freezes for about 13 seconds, while the melody gets repetative? Or is it because of the crowd noice and the guy who says 'hoi'? Does anyone have an idea?

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2003, 14:53

It's the simpleness of it, the guitar and drum are quite crude and sound almost out of time with each other at points, which is Punk-like. The 'oi!' in the background is also supposed to be punkesque. Having said this, not all punk is rubbish and there is a lot of fantastic punk music. For instance, London Calling by The Clash is undoubtedly one of the greatest albums of all time, far better than Platinum! (blasphemy I know)

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 16 2003, 11:43

Well, I think it's a bit like Mike's tribute to B.B. King, B.Blues - it doesn't really sound anything like the style of music it's based on.
I think Man In The Rain said it all about the elements which are meant to be punk-esque...
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2003, 17:22

Thanks!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 03 2003, 08:45

Most probably the idea was to take the punkesque drum rhythm and do something admitedly silly and stupid on top of it, and you got the playful synth melody and the "hoi!"s all over. It sounds like Mike going 'ha ha, look what I do with your "music" genre!'

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 05:54

I prefer 'Live Punkadiddle'! That's the best version I've heard!
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 16:02

punkadiddle is a piece of music that i've started to appreciate more after listening to a live version.
i just recently knew of the encore from preston 1980 and it has become my favourite live bit from mike oldfield at the moment.
it's very alive, spontaneous. imho he plays with a big energy all along and there's a lot happening around. i do like some detail like the sax giving a jazzy touch in the middle... but it becomes heaven when the instruments leave the background clear for the guitar alone..  the last two minutes make me shiver any time i listen to it, i have to stop whatever i'm doing... can just focuss on its sound !!

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2005, 05:32

It's a pity that 'Into Wonderland' has some of Mike's wonderful guitar soloing missing! That's my biggest gripe, and why I prefer 'Sally'!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 21:29

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 17 2005, 05:54)
I prefer 'Live Punkadiddle'! That's the best version I've heard!

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this. Still, I really became aware of the live version only after Milamber emailed me a copy. The solo really becomes a piece in its own right. It should have been the A side to the single of "Five Miles Out" (fond though I am of other FMO-related material such as "Taurus 2"  - you can't tease me about that, Milamber, as you're incommunicado for a week  :p  :laugh: )
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2011, 02:02

Am I right in considering the 'real' start of 'Punkadiddle' at 0:49, in spite of the track indexing?

The 49 seconds missing are a leftover from 'Sally' :)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2011, 07:49

Quote (Herod @ Feb. 24 2011, 02:02)
Am I right in considering the 'real' start of 'Punkadiddle' at 0:49, in spite of the track indexing?

The 49 seconds missing are a leftover from 'Sally' :)

Yes, that's the way I hear it too. I guess they left those 50 seconds because cutting straight into the real start of Punkadiddle would be too crude.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2011, 08:29

To me Punkadiddle souds like a mock of football hooligans.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2011, 09:45

Quote (HR lover @ Feb. 24 2011, 08:29)
To me Punkadiddle souds like a mock of football hooligans.

It's supposed to. But in the live version that marvelous guitar solo lifts us up and takes us all to Living Island  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 11:49

Musically, what punk left us with is our acceptance of a slightly rougher style of guitar-playing and chaotic vocals.  Culturally, it's whatever "those who were there" tell us it represented: reacting against [insert some establishment here].  Actually, what we seem to cherish about the body of work is usually quite melodic, so Punkadiddle is not so far off the style.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 17:55

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Feb. 26 2011, 11:49)
Musically, what punk left us with is our acceptance of a slightly rougher style of guitar-playing and chaotic vocals.  Culturally, it's whatever "those who were there" tell us it represented: reacting against [insert some establishment here].  Actually, what we seem to cherish about the body of work is usually quite melodic, so Punkadiddle is not so far off the style.

I had a sudden vision then of Julian Bream with a safety pin in his nose  :laugh: Love your square brakcets, Cav  :cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 18:05

The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and bands like that have never done much for me. The only band I've ever really liked at all out of that era is the Clash, and I've only heard a few songs by them. If I listen to punk, it's usually early '80s hardcore like Black Flag.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 18:07

Oh, and Milamber sent me the live version of Punkadiddle as well, the solo bit at the end is wonderful, I agree.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 18:13

Quote (Syd B @ Feb. 26 2011, 18:07)
Oh, and Milamber sent me the live version of Punkadiddle as well, the solo bit at the end is wonderful, I agree.

Much, much, much better than Santana  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 18:23

Have you ever heard "Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression" by Frank Zappa?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2011, 18:26

No, I haven't. Worth hearing?
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 15 2003, 13:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net