Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: ProTools v Apple Logic 7< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Old Mikefield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 25 2006, 00:41

Anyone got any opinions as to which they favor? Im currently using GarageBand in conjunction with ProTools. Seeing as I'm Mac based and Protools was primarily designed for PCs (although there is a Mac version obviously) I recently got Apple Logic 7 to tinker with. Cant say that I'm too jazzed with it so far, im probably missing something but who knows, I'd like to get some opinions/feedback on the matter.

--------------
Live each day as if it were your last, for one day you're sure to be right.
My Music Projects > HTTP://www.morehuman-thanhuman.com
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 16:41

It depends on what you are recording. Logic is definitely easier for using with MIDI sequencing, and has all kinds of facilities to look at, edit and generally play with MIDI data. Logic comes with lots of lovely plugins to get you started, but it can be quite complicated. Having said that, if you are used to Garageband then there is a whole section of the manual that explains the main differences and you can learn the rest as you go along

Pro Tools is really, really good at dealing with audio - moving it around, changing it - but doesn't come with the same range of plug-ins as Logic and buying the equivalents may cost you a lot of money. Also with Pro Tools you have to use Digidesign or M-Audio hardware. Learning Pro Tools can be a bit of an uphill slope, but seeing as it only really has two screens to it (the mixer and the edit page) I find it easier to move around than some other applications.

If you can, I'd try to get a demo of each one to try out and see which one seems to suit you best.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2007, 15:51

I use to use Cubase - the full version.  Thne I got a mac and garageband was fantastic - so i bought logic express - I thought it was terrible - very hard to get into and im possible to do things which i used to do in steinberg on the atari.  THEN I had some lessons from a guy whop owns a music shop in Aberdeen and he uses LogicPro alot.

After that It got a bit easier and I went out and bought a second hand logic pro on ebay.  It's very good.  But it takes some commitment to learn all the features you need/want.  It is best to leave some of the more complex stuff it contains to the professionals - just ignore most of it until you find you need it.

At least that's my experience.

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Jeremy Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2007, 23:23

Part of an email sent to Old Mikefield a few months ago, for what it's worth.....

......as for the Logic Vs Pro Tools thing, really it comes down to what ever does the trick for you. My personal feeling is that Logic speaks a more musical language than Pro tools. Lot's of my mates use Pro tools TDM set ups in the sound design, track laying and post production areas and I think that where it's strengths lie. But again, what ever works for you!

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
3 replies since June 25 2006, 00:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net