Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: preference to the original< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 28 2006, 16:38

Hi all. I still find exposed to be one of the greatest live albums i have ever heard. The sound quality, the general feel of the music is so alive and vibrant that although I love the originals, I have to say that these live versions really do it for me.

Does anybody agree?

I listen to exposed a lot now and just find it to be the perfect way to get an instant high. It certainly isn't easy music , yet they pull it off with such ease and passion.

I think the cuts are essentially better, but i know some find the cuts to incantations not so good?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 15:11

The guitar solo at the end of part 2 (before Sailor's Hornpipe) is mind-blowing. Never fails to get the hair's standing on the back of my neck!
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 18:41

I think the live version of Tubular Bells pt 1 on Exposed is one of the best versions of that part - I almost prefer it to the original studio version.  I was lucky enough to see the tour at the NEC in Birmingham in 1979, though we weren't that close to the stage.  A great experience though.

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 23:13

Just listened to CD1 - Incantations is a nice variaton to the studio version -very enjoyable.

Will get to CD2 for my next Friday listen (listening to one new CD a week to make the excitement last longer).
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 00:22

Quote (ThisName @ April 28 2006, 16:38)
Hi all. I still find exposed to be one of the greatest live albums i have ever heard.

Does anybody agree?

Yep.  I always thought I was the only one, but I much prefer the Exposed version of TB to the studio.  It's better recorded, it has more punch, there's no darned vocals used in The Bell ;) , and the strings make my breath catch in my throat.  Between the original TB, The Orchestral, and Exposed TB, it's no contest for me.

I know, I know: heresy.   :)

I like the live Incantations better than the studio as well, though not as strongly.  Mostly, I think the edits work in favor of the piece.

Exposed is my desert island disk.

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 09 2008, 05:51

Hi.I do love Exposed as a whole (the DVD is better).I wouldn't say i prefer the live versions to the originals but they are very different,or rather TB is while Incantations is fairly close to the original-just condensed.
What i love most is Mike's guitar playing.He seems very free on these versions.TB part 2 is especially good.That solo  is just incredible.I have so many versions of that section dating part to a prototype version with Kevin Ayres (the cd says 1972-i'm not sure it's not '71)live,but the Exposed version remains the  definative solo.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 17:48

I've never picked this up on CD. I was never a huge fan of the original LP at all.

For me the studio versions are so definitive I really couldn't take to live versions with applause etc. It's funny but (perhaps along with Pink Floyd) I think MO is far better in the studio. It is his natural environment without question. Whilst he has undoubtedly excelled in live performance, for me the music is so transient, abstract and mental - I just can't quite take to it all being done by a live band - rather than most everything by him.

Somebody give me some good reasons for investing in Exposed in digital form please?

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 08:39

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 09 2009, 22:48)
I've never picked this up on CD. I was never a huge fan of the original LP at all.

For me the studio versions are so definitive I really couldn't take to live versions with applause etc. It's funny but (perhaps along with Pink Floyd) I think MO is far better in the studio. It is his natural environment without question. Whilst he has undoubtedly excelled in live performance, for me the music is so transient, abstract and mental - I just can't quite take to it all being done by a live band - rather than most everything by him.

Somebody give me some good reasons for investing in Exposed in digital form please?

I agree with much of that I have to admit.I do like to hear the occasional live version here and there just out of curiosity really.But when Mike Oldfield goes into a recording studio imo that is where his "real" work takes place.The studio is as much a part of Mike`s creative outlet as the  instruments themselves.They are of equal importance I would say.A really great album by any artist is imo no different to a great work of art.You would not ask Leonardo Da Vinci to do a live version of the Mona Lisa.Besides which he`s been dead for over half a century,so it ain`t gonna` happen.You`ll have to make do with his tribute act Leonardo Da Sayer down at the roundhouse.He paints a mean version of You Make Me Feel Like Dancing.

In fairness music is what it is,I`ll say that much.It goes up into the ether I suppose all around us.There is a lot to be said about the sheer thrill and excitement of a live performance be it in whatever type of music you can think of.Sometimes "thrill and excitement" can be the basis of what an entire piece of music can be about.It can also be a tremendous learning experience for both composers and musicains themselves.Exposed is a good "document" of that if you like.You can feel the "thrill and excitement that was taking place there imo.As live albums go,it`s one of the better ones that are out there.It`s nice to listen to from time to time just to kind of "drop in" on the whole experience of that.It`s not quite the same thing as actualy being there at the time though.Nor indeed for me is it quite the same as listening to the original works themselves.For similar reasons to which you yourself have stated.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 11:00

Hi all,

I just listened to Exposed after several years and I have to say I am very moved! I didn't realize what a gem this CD set is, expecially with the wonderful version of Guilty/Tubular Bells at the end of disc 2. I also like the start of Tubular Bells part 2 as it's so different.

In all, very nice indeed!
Profile PM 
hph Offline

Posted: May 27 2011, 02:02

I love exposed, especially Tubular Bells. I prefer the studio version of Incantations but TB on Exposed has been my favorite TB version for many years. I still love the interpretation of Part 2.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: May 27 2011, 07:01

If Mike is going to be remixing anything whatsoever I hope he does it in the style of TB on Exposed; some new parts but still true to the original. I don't want just a cleaner sound, or remixes so close to the original that's it's hard to spot the difference.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2012, 04:23

I like the drums on the live version of TBs. There are in parts that had no drums on the original. It gives it a nice funky feel and reinforces the parts. Also the piano is more percussive in parts. The double LP compiled from the '79 tour is pretty flat and uninspiring but the DVD of the London concert is excellent with more lively performances of both TB and Incantations.
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since April 28 2006, 16:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net