Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Porky Cut?", Digitalized '74 HR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 04:29

I finally ordered a UK copy of HR. It was a VG+ rated LP with a strange item written in the description. "This is a Porky cut. Porky was one of those rare artisans who....." I gather the record dealer was talking about someone who worked in a record pressing plant in 1974 wherever this UK version was made. Can anyone shed some light on what "Porky" really means? If this works out I'll finally have a quiet copy of the original 1974 HR to digitalize. No USA copy I ever had sounded very good.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 04:44

I found the answer to my question. I just didn't think "porky cut" in a search engine would give me anything but pork chops. I tried it. Check this out:

George "Porky" Peckham is a British record cutting engineer, widely recognised as among the most accomplished in the business. He has been responsible for producing the master discs from which countless vinyl records have been pressed over the last 40 years.

His master discs, and the records produced from them, are known as "Porky Prime Cuts" and often bear either the motto "A Porky Prime Cut" or a cryptic or humorous comment (signed "Porky"), etched into the run-out groove. Other inscriptions attributed to him include "Pecko" and "Pecko Duck".

One of his most technically demanding achievements was the so-called "three-sided" album, The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief (1973).

This is going to be good.......when it arrives in the mail.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 05:26

Quite interesting, thanks!!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 08 2014, 07:30

Was the Porky Cut any good?
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 08 2014, 07:52

There were a good few 'run off groove' messages in the late 70's early 80's...

One of the most cryptic was "Noel Reads These", which, for the life of me, I cannot recall what it is on.

Another thing was the "hidden vinyl" (a lot of MCA discs were like this) which looked like a normal black record, but when held up to the light showed to be a VERY deep red!
Profile PM 
4 replies since Dec. 14 2007, 04:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net