Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Pod 2.0, mike oldfield sounds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BlueTape Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 19:24

Does anyone have any preset sounds of Mike Oldfield for the Pod 2.0? (old i know but got it cheap on ebay)

thanks

--------------
my music website
www.bluetape.co.uk
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2008, 07:44

;)  + one ! I'm using Toneport UX1 with Gear Box since yesterday and i would be interested too !

Again this problem ! Mike is not really considered like a guitar hero as he should be ! So in these kind of multi-effects there's a lack of presets to get his sounds .
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 07:27

;) Bluetape , if you can use them , here are PodXt tones about Mike . Don't know if you will find them useful . I can open them with Gearbox but i don't think they are really sounds Oldfield like .

Hope you'll understand me .

http://line6.com/customtone/library/index.html
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 10:46

I've just got the original pocket POD, and I have the same question. I can't find any oldfield in your link though...

I use the pocket pod with an old epiphone junior model (=melody maker) with a P90, and I'm looking for that typical oldfield SG junior sound. The guitar should be able to create the source for it; I hope the pod can create the required effects! I'm not familiar with it or guitar sound engineering, so I can't really look for it myself in a better than random way...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 13:51

;) I'm sorry i don't know if these pod xt files are compatible with the pocket pod . I use a UX1 Toneport and i can open them with it . Yes of course the guitar is really important and not just the effects . Do you use Line 6 monkey ? It's really useful . GearBox seems to be really good too but i have some difficulties to find the " oldfield"  effect i already use with my old Korg pandora toneworks . It's because there are not the same pedals in GearBox .
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 16:09

The list you linked to is for both pocket pod and pod xt, so I assume it's compatible. But anyway, it's a non-issue as I can't find any oldfield in that list...

I haven't used any program with the pod yet, as I've had the pocket pod for less than one day :).
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2008, 08:26

So, let's see, from a theoretical point of view, to get an oldfield sound I think you'd need the following:

-fender twin reverb amp model
-compression effect for the sustained sound
-a delay to "enlarge" the sound
-perhaps a tiny bit of attack killer?
-some distortion or overdrive, but no idea which one. Someone suggested a fuzz as well. Yes/no?

I'm not too much into guitar sound building, but I think these are the basics required for a MO sound coming from a POD. Now, let's see how far this will get me with the pocketPOD...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 22 2008, 08:18

May I steer you in a slightly different direction?

Two things ought to be said first, though - one is that, it of course depends which of his sounds you're aiming for (if any in particular) and the other is that I don't have a Pod 2.0. I do, however, have quite a bit of experience with programming the Pod XT Live.

For a classic 80s Oldfield distortion, you'll want a Mesa/Boogie model. The XT has one called Cali Crunch which is perfect. Crank the gain up all the way; I don't always recommend doing that (either on a real amp or an amp simulator) as it can sound horrid, but in this instance, it works. Then dial up a clean boost (does the Pod 2.0 allow things to be placed before the modelled preamp? That's where it needs to be. The XT Live's booster is called 'boost+ eq') and adjust the gain of that to taste - I find it needs to be about 90% up. That ought to get you about 60% of the way there at least...the amp EQ will need to be adjusted to taste (careful with the treble!), as will reverb. If there's an option for mic position, I say go for off axis.

Do it right and you'll get something along the lines of this. I'd want to work on the EQ a bit more if it was for a recording, and I'd personally not use the reverb either (I can get better from other things), but you no doubt get the idea. I think the most important thing is to just keep tweaking and listening, so it responds to your playing in the way you want it to.

Have fun!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2008, 12:50

Thanks, it's that 80's MO sound I'm looking for, say the Montreux SG Junior sound. I'll try your approach with the pocket POD when I have time (I have to do things with the manual, so it takes time...).

For the pocket POD, I've got the following options:

Cabinet Models based on:
1960 Fender® Tweed Champ®
1952 Fender® Tweed Deluxe Reverb®
1960 Vox® AC-15
1964 Fender® Deluxe Reverb®
1965 Fender® Blackface Twin Reverb® 1
967 Vox® AC-30
1995 Matchless Chieftain
1959 Fender® Bassman®
1996 Marshall® with Vintage 30s
1978 Marshall® with stock 70s
1968 Marshall® Basketweave with Greenbacks
Line 6® 4x12
Line 6® 1x12
Line 6® 2x12
Line 6® 4x10

Amp Models based on:
’64 Fender® Deluxe Reverb®
’59 Fender® Bassman®
’68 Marshall® Plexi 100 watt Marshall® JTM-45 meets Budda Twinmaster
’60 Tweed Fender® Champ® Budda Twinmaster head
’65 Blackface Fender® Twin Reverb®
’60 Vox® AC 15
’60 Vox® AC 30 nonTop Boost
’85 Mesa/Boogie® Mark IIc+ Clean Channel
’85 Mesa/Boogie® Mark IIc+ Drive Channel
Dumble® Overdrive Special Clean Channel
’95 Mesa/Boogie® Dual Rectifier® Head
’89 Soldano SLO Super Lead Overdrive
Dumble® Overdrive Special Drive Channel
1987 Roland® JC-120 Jazz Chorus
Line 6® Insane

POCKET POD EFFECTS
Compressor
Delay/Compressor
Tremolo
Delay/Tremolo
Chorus 1
Delay/Chorus 1
Chorus 2 Delay/Chorus 2
Flanger 1 Delay/Flanger1
Flanger 2 Delay/Flanger2
Rotary Speaker
Delay/Swell
Delay
Reverb

So, let's see. What to choose...
-amp:
’85 Mesa/Boogie® Mark IIc+ Drive Channel  (I assume that'll work better than the clean channel..)

-effect:
reverb
compressor (?)
tweak the EQ

-cabinet model:
erm...help?

As for the boost: I think on the pocket pod that's just a matter of cranking the "drive channel" up, but I'm not sure. Maybe there's a better way...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2008, 09:34

I'd guess that the cabinet model you'd want to try first would be the Line 6 1x12 - that's closest to what the original amp had. Sometimes it's not so predictable what's going to work best, though (sometimes these models don't quite deliver what you'd expect based on your knowledge of how things are in reality!). It's always worth trying something like a 10" for a more midrangey sound; the best thing is often just to flip through them until you find something that's closest to what you're after.

It does look like the only option open for getting more drive is cranking up the drive level to maximum. You could always try going into the Pod through an external overdrive pedal, if turning up the drive alone doesn't give enough/the right kind of saturation, but I'd think caution would have to be exercised there (ramming too hot a signal into a digital input stage is of course likely to not be quite as pleasing on the ear as it would be if you were going into a valve amp!). By all means try the compressor on it - it should add some sustain, and might smooth out some of the fizz if you're lucky. Fizz is of course not necessarily bad - sounds often need to be rather brighter than you'd expect to really come forward in a mix...what sounds good on its own may sound dull and mushy once it's in with other things. The wasp in a jam jar sound is to be avoided at all costs, though!

I think electric guitars are extremely unforgiving, actually, especially when you get the distortion going. I think sounds like Mike's can sound dreadful in the wrong hands, and I think that's a big part of the key to getting some of these sounds to work - figuring out what kind of touch to use. Once you've worked that out, the rest falls into place. I would say that Mike's style needs a generally light touch, with a bit more pressure being applied for a more aggressive vibrato. The really screaming sound comes partly from the picking - it has to be quite deliberate and hard, like a classical rest stroke. The main force of the picking should be using a combination of force from all three of the finger joints, but with the third joint fairly relaxed - if they're all tense, you'll end up clawing at the strings, which tends to sound horrid (though if you combine it with the right touch on the fretting hand, that's how to get that Mark Knopfler percussive kind of sound...that involves pulling the finger upwards more, though). The idea is to come fairly gently, but firmly across, bringing the finger to rest on the next string. That action involves bringing the finger down in an arc which sees you almost hitting down on the string with the fingernail at the same time - if you don't, and come up from underneath the string instead, you get more of a choked sound (which of course can work if what you're doing with the other hand takes that into account, but it can just sound painful if it doesn't).
The lighter stratty sounds (like this ) need a much lighter touch, almost just brushing them as they're picked, and fretted very lightly (but still firmly and deliberately, otherwise you'll lose the control). In reality, it's all about combining those approaches, constantly varying the touch to suit what you want to get across with any particular note. The trick is, of course, doing it all without thinking about it...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2008, 22:25

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 25 2008, 09:34)
The lighter stratty sounds (like this ) need a much lighter touch, almost just brushing them as they're picked, and fretted very lightly (but still firmly and deliberately, otherwise you'll lose the control). In reality, it's all about combining those approaches, constantly varying the touch to suit what you want to get across with any particular note.

...ohhh God ! I thought it was made  with the PRS ! I was wrong !:p

:O   Hey ! I didn't have seen replies there before tonight ! Sorry Korgscrew and thanks for all of these advices ! I'll try tomorrow with Gearbox !

EDIT : ... well I would try to make you listen to the way I play this piece of music ( song for survival ) but I dare not.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2008, 20:09

Hello,
I've been using a pod xt for a while before switching to Amplitube (with more or less happy results I have to admit). Yet this recent discussion made me want to have another tries at some sounds with this beast (mainly caused by Korgscrew's remark about the Cali crunch simulation which I never really considered before : Like the author of this thread, I always favored a fender twin reverb simulation which I think is called 'double verb' on my pod xt).
So after a few tweaks with the cali crunch, I had to resolve to my old habit of the double verb and there it goes :

This sample to show 4 sounds with the pod 'double verb' amp :
- sample chords with no effect at all : just the fender twin reverb simulation with drive, bass, middle, presence set at 12, except treble set a 10.
- a lick with with a stomp pedal : 'classic distortion' with 57% drive, 36% gain, 31% tone
- same lick (with distortion), with added compression (threshold -18db, gain 6db) and noise gate (threshold -62db decay 12%):
- same lick (with distortion and compression), with added delay : analog delay set at 300 ms with 25% feedback and 29% mix

Of course one could do much better with the pod, but this can be a starting point if you want to use a clean amp simulation.
In fact I chose this amp simulation simply because among the pod amps this is my favorite clean sound, so I suppose I would just add some effects on this sound.

Ah ! i forgot to say about the guitar : it is a gibson L6S deluxe (same as Mike during the incantations/platinum area) but with P90 pickups, so I expect at least that it comes close to a sg junior.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2008, 13:51

Cool stuff, nushky!

I suppose this is the stage where I should reveal the dirty little secret that lies behind that Cali Crunch-based Oldfield Lead sound (it's not so little really, but it is very dirty...just listen to all that drive!).

I made that for a friend who wanted a starting point for playing around with Oldfield sounds after he'd got a Pod XT Live as a result of me giving him a demonstration of what I was doing with it at the time. What was I doing with it at the time? Why, I was using it as a controller for a Variax guitar...
So yes, it's a Variax, and an all digital signal chain. He got one of them too, so I made him an Oldfield Junior patch after he wasn't happy with the built in Les Paul Junior model. I find Pod patches do respond slightly differently when it's a 'real' guitar going through the analogue input. How differently? Let's find out!

Here's a quick comparison sample. First is a completely clean sound - I just bypassed the amp model and stomp box effect, so there's some reverb and compression on there. The Variax is first, the bridge pickup of my JJ Jewel second. Then it gets dirty...again, Variax first, Jewel second.

Not much in it, actually! The Jewel is slightly more sparkly in the clean sound, and I think very slightly smoother distorted (but then it seems like its level is very slightly lower than that of the Variax...turning the level of the Variax down a notch might lead to the same result...I'm not in the mood for such extensive testing right now!). I'm not 100% sure that, in that distorted example, I'd be able to tell the difference once they were in a mix. It of course might be a different story if the passage being played was different.

It is a very searing sound. On its own like that, it does rather cut your head off, but play along to your favourite 80s Oldfield tracks, or put it in a mix of your own, and it should hopefully make more sense.

Ask me very nicely and I might be persuaded to seek out a copy of the patch files for anyone who wants them. Ask more nicely still and I might just be persuaded to turn this into a proper illustrated 'how to' article...

Once again...have fun (and don't hit your head against the wall...because it doesn't really matter at all, when you happen to be on...tubular.net?)
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2008, 11:43

I vote for the 2nd sound (Jewel), the first is a bit too distorted.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2008, 16:04

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 29 2008, 13:51)
Ask me very nicely and I might be persuaded to seek out a copy of the patch files for anyone who wants them. Ask more nicely still and I might just be persuaded to turn this into a proper illustrated 'how to' article...

:) Ok so i ask you very nicely . Please Korgscrew could you give us ( or me ) the patch files ( i suppose you're talking about how to get sound Mike's guitars ) and an " How to " article/topic would be welcome of course .

Oh no..i can't see cali crunch or mesa boogie in Gearbox ..but i can try with Line 6 1x12
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2008, 20:54

;) I was serious , Korgscrew ! If you can give me (or us )more infos and settings , that could be nice of your part ! And please , do this "How to" article you've talked about . ;)
Profile PM 
15 replies since Oct. 10 2008, 19:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net