Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Please label your tracks!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2005, 21:16

A suggestion to anyone making any sort of mp3 to upload/link here: Please put your name, nickname at least and/or email/web address in the "Artist" or "Composer" fields of the Properties of the file. I'm catching up on fan tracks I have downloaded over the months, and I have no idea who did them since they did not identify them at all.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 03:47

I imagine that many people who did not label the tracks did so because they didn't know they could. I didn't know you could until very recently. One option is to label them yourself with the file name: calling it "artist name-song name.mp3" when recording or downloading. Still, it is a good idea to label them through the Properties menu.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 05:14

That's a good idea. The names of my song files are one-worded to keep storage and linking simple, but I tag them accordingly. But indeed, others may not even know how to do it. I believe Media Player can alter the ID3 tags of MP3 files, and I'm sure Winamp does it. Maybe someone can provide a quick tutorial?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 05:35

Well, on Windows XP it goes like this:

Right-click your song file and go to properties. Click the 'Summary' tab to see a window that tells you the 'Title' 'Author' and several other things. The only thing you can edit there is the title, however. Click the 'Advanced' button below all the information and the window will change to a big list. Simply click to the left of the words 'artist', 'song title' etc and you'll be able to type in all you want. Then of course you click 'OK' or 'Apply' to make the changes.

I hope that explained it well enough. I think some programs will do this automatically or in an easier way.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 06:02

Right! It works exactly like that on Windows 2000, too. I just tested it here. I have Windows 98 at home, and iirc, it doesn't work like that there. But whomever has W2k or above can do that just fine!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 14:07

Normally the encoding software offers the option - I've certainly never used an MP3 encoder which doesn't allow the addition of ID3 information, but I haven't used many of those which may now be popular on Windows (only WinAmp).

I would second Hiawatha's plea - I was on the verge of posting something about it myself. I've amassed a huge collection of MP3 files of this kind in recent years, and if there's no artist info, I tend to have no idea whose some of them are when I uncover them after a year or so! Sometimes the sound gives the creator away, but at other times, I'm left clueless...
I try and add the info as soon as I download the files now, but sometimes even then I come unstuck (like if I download loads in one go, then don't play them for a little while)...so please put your name on your work!
Profile PM 
5 replies since Jan. 31 2005, 21:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net