[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 17 2012, 15:57

Quote (Alan D @ June 17 2012, 05:37)
I'm out of touch with this sort of stuff, but maybe someone can enlighten me? I've never seen Wembley 1980 available as an 'unofficial' live recording (I know of maybe a dozen or so from other years and venues), so this new Platinum special release looks pretty desirable to me and I'll certainly buy it. So have I missed something? Has the Wembley 1980 show been available already, somewhere?

It is available as BBC FM  recording in stereo. Only Platinum, I Got Rhythm, Polka, TB2 and Ommadawn are included. The sound quality could be better.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 16:30

Quote (stpaul @ June 17 2012, 19:57)
It is available as BBC FM  recording in stereo. Only Platinum, I Got Rhythm, Polka, TB2 and Ommadawn are included. The sound quality could be better.

Thanks for this - I'd no idea of its existence. It seems, then, that the second disc of the new set will really be worth having - both in terms of quality and extra live tracks.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 20:08

Whilst I have an audience recorded tape of the 80 show, I'll be buying the cd simply because the only other version I own is a vinyl. I can't play that in the car.

Plus my tour t-shirt from the Ipswich show needs an airing

Oh - *waves at Alan D*  good to see you're still with us

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 01:46

Quote (olracUK @ June 18 2012, 00:08)
Oh - *waves at Alan D*  good to see you're still with us

Hi Andy (*waves back). Actually I check in for a few seconds once every week or two, to see if there are any MVR postings or image uploads that need attending to. But that doesn't keep me very busy!

Hope you're well. Regards to Olrac Jr.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 17:10

Actually its mini Jr keeping the game alive now (3rd child now 7yrs). Jr is now 17 and on Xbox when not partying.

But we digress.

The next 4 albums Platinum to Crises are my personal favs as they were the ones I waited to be released and bought on release day, rushing home to play.

Platinum is the 1st of the second phase Oldfield, and should be admired by all fans simply for that fact.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 07:23

Quote (olracUK @ June 18 2012, 21:10)
Actually its mini Jr keeping the game alive now (3rd child now 7yrs). Jr is now 17 and on Xbox when not partying.

Wow. How time flies. 17, you say!

In my case it's my two grandsons who play MVR - one in particular (6 yrs old) always wants to play it (mostly Tr3s Lunas) when he visits.
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 21:24

Quote (equinoxe @ Aug. 12 2011, 15:36)
'Allright Now' cover, wchich Mike did in that time would be a real gem on the Deluxe Edition.

sadly neither sally and allright now will be on the deluxe edition,

i have found allright now on youtube,but it is nearly inaudible,
must have been this lineage :

flexidisc>taper 1>copy 1>2>3>4>5>copy of 5 recorded through a dictaphone in a bathtub>cd>youtube

still took it on my computer,you never know...
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 30 2012, 05:55

It's out and I have my copy. It's nice but I also know that one of the things we like to do is find all the small mistakes that they've made so I'll start:

You'll be half pleased to know that the main set of credits keeps some of the misspellings but not all of them. For instance is DOES say "Pierre Moerlin" but it also says "Morris Pert" etc. Though they seem to be correctly credited further into the booklet.

The other thing is that the live version of I Got Rhythm is listed on the back as I've Got Rhythm.

I do like the whole package (and since I never downloaded or bought shoddy bootleg versions of the included live tracks all the new stuff is a voyage of discovery for me), I just thought it would be funny for us to nitpick it a bit.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 04:37

Shame no Sally on there. That was a nice little song and as he so wanted it on the original I can't understand why he didn't include it.
Profile PM WEB 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 13:09

Yes, shame about Sally but the album is well done and well worth the extra outlay :)
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 14:41

Quote (CJJC @ July 30 2012, 05:55)
It's out and I have my copy. It's nice but I also know that one of the things we like to do is find all the small mistakes that they've made so I'll start:

You'll be half pleased to know that the main set of credits keeps some of the misspellings but not all of them. For instance is DOES say "Pierre Moerlin" but it also says "Morris Pert" etc. Though they seem to be correctly credited further into the booklet.

The other thing is that the live version of I Got Rhythm is listed on the back as I've Got Rhythm.

I do like the whole package (and since I never downloaded or bought shoddy bootleg versions of the included live tracks all the new stuff is a voyage of discovery for me), I just thought it would be funny for us to nitpick it a bit.

now the main question is : (drum rolling)

(crash cymbal)

is there any glitches?!?!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 03:56

I ordered my copy yesterday, can't wait for it to arrive, I love the Platinum album, and think the Platinum suite is among Mike's best ever works, I'm also excited to have some live tracks too.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 05:09

Hi all , the live set is from the 28th. I went to the 29th gig (still have my ticket) and Mike didnt play Incantations that night. He played Omadawn ( which was the same version as the one from the Knebworth video) and as Ive said in another post ,I can clearly remember someone dressed as a monkey comming on stage when Mike was playing William Tell and Mike chasing it around the stage .

Anyone remember that ?
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2012, 06:17

Another triumph.

Once again, the re-release has come up trumps !
What I find truly fantastic about these re-masters is the fact that when the records were made 30-40 years ago, people had no idea that there would ever be a market for re-releasing albums , so to have even the original master tapes for  any of the albums kept in any sort of order makes us very lucky, let alone the storing of early mixes, alternative versions, bonus tracks & virtually fully recorded and mixable live concerts.

The version of Incantations on the Platinum bonus disc is excellent. I actually prefer the vocalist on Hiawatha to the original Maddy Prior. I find this version softer & more "poppy" than the harsher original. But am very glad to have both.

Have been listening to the main album a lot, so just got onto the 2nd, so not past Incantations live yet. Not even started on QEII yet.

Bring on Five Miles Out & Crisis.

I had all the old albums on record, no longer have easily accessable deck, but have been delaying buying CD's for the re-masters. So far have not been dissapointed with any. Just want them all now !
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2012, 15:15

Does anyone else have an issue with a micro second gap between tracks 1 to 4 on disc 1?
Probably just my CD player but noticeable as Platinum doesn't flow smoothly.

--------------
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2012, 12:17

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 13 2012, 15:15)
Does anyone else have an issue with a micro second gap between tracks 1 to 4 on disc 1?
Probably just my CD player but noticeable as Platinum doesn't flow smoothly.

Haven't any problems with any of Platinum or QE2 Deluxe Editions discs. Everything is smooth.
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 02:49

Who is the lady singing at the end of Incantations live? ('scuse my ignorance...)

Plus I don't like the sax on I Got Rhythm live ...  :p

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 18:08

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 13 2012, 21:15)

My 15-year-old Pioneer CD player within my stereo rack (which only plays CDs, and not all of them) does not create any gap. The CD/DVD player in my PC, which is way newer, does create a tiny gap sometimes. So it's definitely a matter of CD players.

@ memberd: the ladies singing on the 1980 tour were Maggie Reilly and Wendy Roberts, so it's one of them. Re. the sax, well, Mike had a sax player in the band - he had to have him do something every now and them, didn't he? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 18:15

Quote (memberd @ Sep. 04 2012, 02:49)
Who is the lady singing at the end of Incantations live?

Definitely Wendy Roberts.
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2012, 02:59

Quote (GusFogle @ Sep. 04 2012, 18:15)
Quote (memberd @ Sep. 04 2012, 02:49)
Who is the lady singing at the end of Incantations live?

Definitely Wendy Roberts.

Divine.

Thanks.

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net