Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2012, 12:18

Who had the stupid idea to ruin such nice tracks as Punkadiddle, Incantations or I got Rhythm by these dully sounding trumpet/sax...whatever "noise from horns" that can be heard in the live-bonus-CD?

Took me very close to through the whole disc outta the window and make me wanna vomit.

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2012, 04:15

I like the sax and woodwind very much. Especially on Punkadiddle. The track gets somethink like a post-punk feeling.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2012, 14:11

Quote (dkaycom @ Sep. 13 2012, 12:18)
Who had the stupid idea to ruin such nice tracks as Punkadiddle, Incantations or I got Rhythm by these dully sounding trumpet/sax...whatever "noise from horns" that can be heard in the live-bonus-CD?

Took me very close to through the whole disc outta the window and make me wanna vomit.

Well, that was propably Mike Oldfield's stupid idea!  :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2012, 14:35

No need to pass on the bucket here... I kinda like the horns and sax.
When Mike did his eighties tour he did not visit Holland, so this is my first chance of hearing what it sounded back then. I cannot say I prefer the album arrangements just because I heard them a zillion times.
To me these live tracks are a worthy addition.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2012, 19:13

Just bought my copy today.

It's a shame that there is not a single word about
the original Sally or the All Right Now cover in the liner notes.

Instead of those two missing songs
we get the 2012 reworking of North Star.

It's more than a pity.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2012, 06:48

Quote (pilotfish @ Aug. 06 2012, 14:41)
[quote=CJJC,July 30 2012, 05:55]the main question is : (drum rolling)

(crash cymbal)

is there any glitches?!?!

No, the main question is: Are there any glitches?   :D

I just got mine.  I tell ya what put me off for so long - them not including Sally.  It fits so much better than Into Wonderland.  Makes the album sound much more like a suite of songs.  I guess that song has just been forgotten about.  More's the pity.   :/

But what's there is most enjoyable.  And, I haven't even heard a glitch yet.   :)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2012, 17:50

Indeed. A friend bought me a copy and I was able to that there are not any glitches :D

I was never that fussed about "side 2" of Platinum before, but it really clicked after hearing this edition. Though, as you say, it'd be nice to have Sally, too but that's the decision of the man himself.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2012, 05:05

Quote (CJJC @ Oct. 07 2012, 17:50)
as you say, it'd be nice to have Sally, too but that's the decision of the man himself.

Is it though?  It's only a decision if you're aware there's a decision to be made.  I strongly suspect that he's forgotten that Sally ever existed.

That segue was so much smoother.  That melody and that guitar solo were perfect echoes of Platinum itself.  *sigh*

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2012, 12:25

First post on here for a while.....

I purchased both Platinum & QE2 Deluxe yesterday (listening to CD2 of QE2 for the first time right now - currently on the Live performance of Tubular Bells.....) I would also have liked 'Sally' to be included, although I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic quality FLAC copy of said track, which is part of the Platinum playlist on my MP3 player in place of 'Into Wonderland'.

I really like the concert recordings from Wembley, and I prefer this performance to the one included on 'The Complete' compilation.

Not sure about 'North Star 2012' yet though!

Cheers

Gaz
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2012, 10:04

I did a home re-edit of Platinum years ago to include Sally, which I very much prefer over Into Wonderland -- if only because main hook from Sally is also present in Platinum suite. The deluxe didn't offer a single reason for me to purchase it again. I'll stick to my original CD, remastered CD and two vinyl copies (and my re-edit), thankyouverymuch.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2012, 06:41

I suspect, like Don Alfonso, Mike just doesn't like the Sally track. To me it sounds like a demo anyway.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2012, 07:18

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 25 2012, 06:41)
I suspect, like Don Alfonso, Mike just doesn't like the Sally track. To me it sounds like a demo anyway.

Exactly my opinion. I'm surprised everoyone loves Sally so much. It doesn't sound finished, and that could be why Virgin requested him to take it off the album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2012, 11:14

Quote (Anonymizeruk @ Oct. 18 2012, 12:25)
I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic quality FLAC copy of said track

Would you be the kind of chap prepared to share such a thing? :D

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2012, 08:01

Quote (CJJC @ Oct. 25 2012, 11:14)
Quote (Anonymizeruk @ Oct. 18 2012, 12:25)
I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic quality FLAC copy of said track

Would you be the kind of chap prepared to share such a thing? :D

Yeah, what he said!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 05 2012, 10:57

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 25 2012, 07:18)
Exactly my opinion. I'm surprised everoyone loves Sally so much. It doesn't sound finished, and that could be why Virgin requested him to take it off the album.

If that were the case, wouldn't Mike rather finish it instead? I believe Mike just got sick of the song, perhaps because of the lyrics. But I hate the way it was chopped off the album, and I feel the "whimsical" mood of Into Wonderland is too forced and artificial.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: May 29 2014, 11:38

Sometimes ... if one doesn't like something on a first listen, one should let some time pass and try it over again. so I gave the bonus-disc another listen "some" months after the 1st time .... the result now was that I had a "first time".. .... it was the first time that I skipped "Incantations" .... and yes, it was 'cause of these crappy sax/horns... which still sound like lame kids to my ears. why lame kids? imagine any kind of parade where music is played ... and imagine a lame kid that wants to take part there but is too lame to follow and so always falls some seconds behind the rest (of the tune). this kind of people who cannot stop talking and always find a "there's something I'd like to add here, too" though the discussion went to something else long ago..... what a luck they did not ruin TB Part 2 by this crap ....  :zzz:

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net