Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 17:06

PLATINUM is one of Mikes lesser Virgin albums.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

Airborne
Platinum
Charleston
North Star
Woodhenge
Into Wonderland
Punkadiddle
I Got Rhythm

Guilty
Blue Peter
Sally
Punkadiddle (live)
Guilty (extended)

A good opportunity to release Sally again.
I used to mix it from bootleg sources into the live version
of Punkadiddle (b-side Five Miles Out). It rocks ...
I think it's good to seperate the 4 parts of Platinum.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 04:14

Hey no ones jumped on this one!Only Joking.
I actually really like Platinum cos it feels like Mike's first really 'happy' album after the first 4.Ok there were elements of humour in the others but this one feels more positive and generally 'up'.We all know why of course.
Ok so what would the ideal re-issue super deluxe edition include?
Pretty much all you've included here as it happens.I'm one of the only people here it seems never to have heard the original Sally so that would have to go on there certainly.Blue Peter would be a yes (although what i'd really like would be the mix they used on the TV show which started with a drum roll-see the YouTube vid).Guilty,well yes both versions would be valid as they are very different mixes but possbly better suited to an  Incantations Deluxe Edition and the Live Punkadiddle would be a definate yes.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 04:47

I personaly would like to hear Sally back in the correct running order,with Into Wonderland simply there as a bonus track.Unlikely to happen I know,but not only do I prefer the original Sally by far.It also links into Punkadiddle much more smoothly.The fact that the song is even given a kind of "overture" if you like during Airborne,leaves that whole section mainly redundant in my mind.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 07:40

[quote=The Caveman,June 25 2009, 09:14][/quote]
I'm one of the only people here it seems never to have heard the original Sally so that would have to go on there certainly.

I hope you can get access somehow to download this Caveman..Anyway it`s uploaded from my own worn-out original vinyl so it`s not the best.I apologise for the "shattered toppyness" (what the hell is that)?..And the surface noise etc..I don`t think even Scatterplot could save this one.Btw the vocals are meant to sound like they`re coming down a double tracked telephone line.

Sally/Punknadiddle Mp3

What about the version of Free`s All Right Now that Mike recorded during these sessions?With Wendy Roberts on lead vocals I think?Anyway the bootleg version that`s out there is really rough,but I`m guessing it sounds a whole lot better on that master tape....
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 08:50

Cheers Dirk.I'll probably have to wait till later to listen to it.

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:04

All Right Now (Free cover) was indeed recorded
with the album line-up. I read it was released on flexi disc
(that's maybe why it's bootleg quality is so poor).
I used to have it, but not anymore.

So a link to that one would be fine.
I think I have a good quality Sally somewhere on mp3.

There's also the German mix of Blue Peter with a different intro.
It was on the Benelux compilation Into Wonderland ... the first Oldfield album I bought
after discovering Moonlight Shadow, In Dulci Jubilo and Tubular Bells.
And ofcourse the live version of Platinum (The Complete),
although I'm not so keen on that one ...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:17

It was a flexi disc released with a British music magazine.The name of which escapes me.A clip of the recording was shown once on the Tube and as i remember it was in Mike's Denham studio.
 Regarding Into Wonderland do you mean Mike Oldfield's Music Wonderland compilation?There were 2 versions.The one you refer to would be the one with the picture of an acoustic guitar top on it.I used to have it but like a fool sold it years ago not realising it would be difficult to get later.The mix is apparently different from the more usual one with the mountain on the cover,which i also have.Both mixes are different from the one used on the TV show though.The one on the rarer one is actually shorter and the longer one was made as DJ's complained it ended too quickly.Originally all proceeds went to Blue Peter's (the show)campaign for the refugees in Cambodia.

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:25

Yes, the compilation was titled "Mike Oldfields Wonderland".
You're right about that. It's the Benelux edition with the guitar.

It has an outstanding tracklist.

http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/43207

Tubular Bells is the final part of part one.
Hergest Ridge is the final part of part one.
Blue Peter is the German mix.
Ommadawn is the final part of part two + On Horseback.
Incantations shows the first 8.40 minutes of part three
(the Oldfield excerpt I adore the most ... my favourite piece).
Wonderful Land is the German 7" edit.
And also Guilty is a German 7" edit from Exposed.

Don't confuse with the contemporary German ...

http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/6574

or French release.

http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/107473
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 13:02

Episodes was availalbe her as well but with a differnt cover.A sort of blue tinted picture of him playing from the exposed cover.Same running order as wonderland.I have the Greman version but i so wish i hadn't sold the Benelux version.Seeing that made me feel even more guilty about selling it.I got it for working so hard at school when i was 10.Damn!
 We actually did talk about these in another thread a while back. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 14:54

Well ... I'm living in Belgium
and I will go "vinyl hunting" next friday ...

Just give me a sign if you would like me to look after it.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 05:04

If i lived in Belgium i would say yes without any hesitation Dazzler. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: July 03 2009, 17:27

Bought Mike Oldfields Wonderland (benelux edition)
and Mike Olfdield Music Wonderland (german edition) today.
Total amount of euro 11 ... and in nearly mint condition.

I'll post the tracklists in the Compilation section of the forum.
Profile PM 
BenP Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2011, 13:25

I liked Platinum a lot; minimalist, jazzy, well polished. I agree with some of the suggestions here; must have the original Sally. I have a teledisc compilation double lp released in 1980 (i think) which includes a very different version of 'I Got Rythm' - I preferred this one so it would be nice to have this version in as well
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2011, 06:35

Kind of happy that the original Sally stays as rare as it is....especially as I have the original.

:-)
Profile PM 
Robert_Logan Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2011, 14:00

I would have loved it if Platinum had had another few tracks like like the first three. I've never heard music like that before! Funky, polished, poppy, instrumental, dancey, and very odd.

An ultimate edition would have to include 'Guilty'. I love how that track uses themes from 'Incantations' and sets them within a disco universe.
Profile PM 
bootleg Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 06:27

I have a lot of time for "Platinum" - we caught him on the tour to support it too and it worked really well live (a live album included from that tour would be a fine extra disc - maybe with his impromtu solo "Blaydon Races" from Newcastle! - a number of live tracks already released from that tour could be rounded up too)  - so a remaster will be interesting - i've heard his version of "Alright Now" years ago but never been able to get a copy so that would be welcome and of course let's have "Sally" back where she belongs as i believe it was the record company who wanted that removed.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 07:58

The Blue Peter version with the remixed ending (also called the Dutch version) also appears on single with the matrix number A7 at the end.

I would also love to see the remixed version of I Got Rythm, that was released in 1980 on the mail order only record Impressions (Tellydisc TELLY 4). This version was also planned to be released as a single, but eventually wasn't.

There is also rumours about a disco arrangement of Tubular Bells which was recorded during the Platinum sessions in New York, which was never released.

Also shelved was Mikes choral arrangement of the choir on North Star, which didn´t meet with Virgins approval so David Bedford came in to do a rearrangement.

;)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 15:36

'Allright Now' cover, wchich Mike did in that time would be a real gem on the Deluxe Edition. Ofcourse original "Sally" is a 'must be' track, but i don't know if that track should fit on the first cd with the original album instead of the "Into Wonderland" and mixed as it was original on the first pressing, and "Sally" on the second cd, or "Into Wonderland" on the first cd and "Sally" as a bonus track on second cd...
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2011, 01:52

Do you think we have to wait another year for Platinum Deluxe ?
I'm very excited about that and I hope they will release some live stuff apart from the Knebworth concert.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2011, 04:07

Quote (equinoxe @ Aug. 12 2011, 20:36)
'Allright Now' cover, wchich Mike did in that time would be a real gem on the Deluxe Edition.

I found this cover. I didn't even know he'd done one - although found out this week that "Alright Now" was in his top 12 (1983)! Always mysteries to uncover. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU-sEmhR_yE

Btw - is Mike singing this?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net