Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: platinum cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 06:55

Hi
What's the story of the cover of platinum?
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 14:02

It's a butterfly stuck in a drop of liquid. :D

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 02:20

really - but why????????????????
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 03:35

JOKEY REPLY

This is how I see it:
The butterfly represents music. Most of the album is built on synthesized/heavily processed sounds, quite like what was known as 'plastic music' in the early 80s, although Platinum was released in '79. So the butterfly is plastified, stuck in an immovable position upon something that looks to me more like liquid mercury than platinum. :) At least this is my view of it. But on the back cover the butterfly flies free, which is strange... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 16:10

I was going to say because he can't get out!

But seriously, perhaps there is a story behind the making of this albumcover.
On the other hand people should stop looking for hidden meanings and symbols, when perhaps there aren't any?

I don't blame you for asking though.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2003, 14:32

Could I ask somebody to pass me an scan of the vinyl cover (which is slightly different to the CD version) at a good resolution?  ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2003, 15:14

The only difference I can see is the font. Colours are a bit different but that's probably due to the print. The image seems to be the same.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2003, 15:35

Yes, mainly this is the only difference but, don't you find it more beautiful and interesting than the CD font (which is the same than in Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn CDs, a little bit too repetitive). That's why I would like to have a printable copy  :)   ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2003, 16:17

I like both fonts actually. I think the font used for the CD reissues looks nice. And unfortunately, my scanner is too small for an LP cover...  :/
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 15:16

Hi, guys.

It's been a while since I didn't write anything and I'm glad to be back again...

It's interesting all you say about the meaning of the Platinum cover. By my part I consider it's right to think there is any symbology about the butterfly (natural music) and the platinum pool (sound processings, electronics...). So would be nice to find out what did it really mean in Mike's mind.

At that time Mike had become ruined after the Exposed tour and started considering working out his music in a more rational way. I think those things are a basic part of what was in Mike's mind about his creation. By the way, the other day I heard Platinum after a long time without hearing it... I love it, specially the side A.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 26 2014, 07:42

The Platinum cover has always been one of my favourites of Mike's albums, I have found it really striking, and it always stands out for me when looking at the cd's.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Aug. 04 2003, 06:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net