Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 17:28

Oh, I posted a new thread and should have posted here. :/ Dear admins, please merge my useless thread with this one... thank you!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 17:52

Hang on though, the original 7" Guilty is far better than the 12" version.  More punchy and to the point and with better guitar solos, as played on the Elements DVD.  You don't necessarily get better quality from the extra 5 inches (ahem)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 19:23

I bought the last copy from HMV in Aberdeen on friday.  they have sold quite a few apparently - but - HMV - they probably dont like to sell Virgin CD's!!!!!   :D   Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2006, 16:51

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Mar. 18 2006, 22:55)
Woo-hoo! Got it today. A bit disappointed that the version of Shine is not the one on the Elements DVD but you can't have everything.

Yeah, come to think of it, the 7" version of Shine was never released on cd. But I personally think this 12" version is much better. :) It's also the first version I heard years ago on the internet.

But maybe you can rip the Shine audio from the DVD, so that you've got a mp3 of the 7" version. :) Somebody ripped it from the laserdisc once, and it sounds really good!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 14:39

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 20 2006, 21:51)
Yeah, come to think of it, the 7" version of Shine was never released on cd. But I personally think this 12" version is much better. :) It's also the first version I heard years ago on the internet.

But maybe you can rip the Shine audio from the DVD, so that you've got a mp3 of the 7" version. :) Somebody ripped it from the laserdisc once, and it sounds really good!

I much prefer the version of Shine on the Elements DVD, alas. I think it has more 'punch' and really builds to an incredible extent after that awesome guitar solo; the one on the Platinum Collection is nice, but it just fizzles out somehow - it's just not as ecstastically joyful, IMO of course  :)  
It probably does depend though on which version you heard first...you sort of get used to something sounding a certain way.
On the other hand, the version of PITD isn't identical to the one on the Elements DVD, but I think it's better - considerably longer and just as brilliant, with an enhanced guitar solo. How such a track failed to be a number one smash back in the eighties I'll never know.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 13:53

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Mar. 21 2006, 20:39)
On the other hand, the version of PITD isn't identical to the one on the Elements DVD, but I think it's better - considerably longer and just as brilliant, with an enhanced guitar solo. How such a track failed to be a number one smash back in the eighties I'll never know.

That's right. The version on the Platinum Collection is the 12" version of PITD. Strange that it isn't written on the cd.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Raphalge Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 18:11

Well, it finally came today! Thank you cd-wow.
The long wait is my own look out for being a skinflint I suppose. Haven't had time to really get into it yet but it's ripped into my mp3 player and caressing my brain even as we speak. Being just a casuall fan I must admit that much of this is new to me. Didn't think much of Evacuation but it'll probably grow on me.

The big surprise was Pictures In The Dark. I was expecting not to recognise it at all, but suddenly I was getting pictures in the dark recesses of memory. I could see young Aled Jones, hands in pockets, singing "I see pictures in the dark..." against a night sky, and swirling picture frames. If this was, as I suppose, splinters of the video for the song then it must be all of twenty years since the one and only time I ever saw it. The mark of great music - one glimpse and it's etched into the psyche.

I don't know what all you die-hards are wingeing about - we casual fans are feasting!
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 23:24

I remember  when PITD was being reviewed on a saturday morning show cant think of the guys name who presented anyway he had a gofer called gordon,it was paul mccartney on the panel ,and he gave the video 5 out of 5  :D

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2006, 11:57

(Health Warning! If your mind isn't stable enough to read something negative, please don't read on! ;) )

Quote (mindphaser @ Jan. 12 2006, 09:14)
To me this looks like another wasted chance...

I've bought the Platinum Collection now and to me, sadly, it's exactly that: A wasted chance. Even worse. The totally uninspired cover design doesn't matter much to me and I already knew the track selection which in my opinion could have been much better. But apart from that I was looking forward to get some tracks previously on vinyl only in good sound quality. But on top of the things mentioned before Virgin didn't even put any care in the sound quality of this release! They didn't adjust the sound levels, they didn't even clip the beginnings of the tracks properly so that they start immediately (on some of the tracks there's up to five seconds of silence before the music starts! ), there has been no proper remastering at all. I even suspect that the "hidden track" (Legend) wasn't meant to be a hidden track but that it was simply a mistake of the guy who had to hack the CDs together in a hurry.
I don't have an idea why, apart from the great DVDs last year, things like this have got to happen all the time when MO's music is being re-issued. Exactly the same happened before when those "HDCD remastered" CDs came out: No real improvement in sound at all (I'm even sure that, except TB, all the albums from the 70s and early 80s have been "remastered" from the original 1983 CD releases, not from the original tapes, as there are some timing inaccuracies on the 1983 CDs that appear on the re-releases again), uninspired artwork, inaccurate liner notes, one track missing in the track listing on the "Crises" CD. This is exactly what happens when the focus is not on the quality of a product but on the money that can be squeezed out of it!

Harsh words, I know, but I'm sure I wouldn't be so angry if I didn't admire MO's work (especially the albums from the 70s) that much.... and you have been warned!  :)

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2006, 13:57

Hahaha... yes, it's good you warned, or I'd have choked in my tea!!  :laugh:
Oh, well, I think that if it's true what you said, about just not properly remastering it, and also that Platinum is just a 'copy and paste' of other compilations, then I can see why you feel let down about it.
I too feel a bit as if it's a missed opportunity. (Could have at least included MO's Single, Cook's Tune, and all the never before on cd released b-sides). Still I remember saying after I bought it that the cover didn't look as bad as I thought, and that the liner notes are quite nice, like the photographs. It was quite fun listening to it in the car too... but...

Maybe the cd should have been:
cd1: best of material, for people who are just getting to know Mike and want to hear the hit singles.
cd2: Extended versions, mixes and b-sides
cd3: Live material

Hahhaha... I should write a letter to Branson for him to employ me!!  :p

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 03 2014, 20:09

Do you know, I'm a little bit irked that I can't remember where it was that I bought The Platinum Collection? I may stumble across the receipt one day - and disc 3, wherever that may have got to- but we're here thanks to at least one part of my memory functioning.
Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 13 2006, 20:27)

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 13 2006, 14:13)
What did Alan Parsons ever do that had anything to do with Oldfield?

Back in 1975, Hifi News and Record Review released a double album for the purpose of comparing quadraphonic formats, called Quadrafile. It had the same material in SQ, QS, CD-4 and UD-4 formats.

Amongst the demonstration pieces were two sections of Tubular Bells, remixed specially for the record by Alan Parsons at Abbey Road, with the help of Tom Newman. The record is ridiculously rare, and they've never seen the light of day since...

There's more about the album here.

I've no way of telling if this will be tempting to the serious collectors among us; chances are that the news will come too late, and the link won't exactly last indefinitely once the sale closes but here's what I found about an hour ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm....fa2f56b

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 02 2022, 03:27

Why in the world is the title on the album cover spelt PLATINIUM?  Instead of PLATINUM?

Typo?  In-joke?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 02 2022, 22:59

I couldn't see it after a quick internet search... But maybe if Mike is adding an "i" to "Platinum", he's saying that, like the queen, he expects to celebrate his platinum jubilee  :D
Profile PM 
132 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 18:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net