[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 20:27

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 13 2006, 14:13)
What did Alan Parsons ever do that had anything to do with Oldfield?

Back in 1975, Hifi News and Record Review released a double album for the purpose of comparing quadraphonic formats, called Quadrafile. It had the same material in SQ, QS, CD-4 and UD-4 formats.

Amongst the demonstration pieces were two sections of Tubular Bells, remixed specially for the record by Alan Parsons at Abbey Road, with the help of Tom Newman. The record is ridiculously rare, and they've never seen the light of day since...

There's more about the album here.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 22:39

http://www.oldfield.de/uploaded_images/PlatinumCollection-741793.jpg

is this the orginal picture of the cd??

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 07:43

Quote (Tubularman @ Jan. 13 2006, 22:39)
http://www.oldfield.de/uploaded_images/PlatinumCollection-741793.jpg

is this the orginal picture of the cd??

I definitely hope not... needs some proof reading  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 08:14

if it is.. i dont know what to do, because its sucks...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 09:44

Hell damn true there Kay ;)

Elements was a great front cover, this is dull and unimaginitive beyond belief :/

Thinking about it, i just HAVE to buy this, it has 'Shine' and 'Flying start' :p

Oh that will be sweet, I really do like these two, and I only have a webcam recording of the latter, from the elements DVD  :D

It also has 'Cuckoo song' and 'William Tell overture', two others that I have been wanting to hear (having never heard 'Cuckoo song' AT ALL)  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 10:48

Moderately excited about this, but only for the third disc really. As for the first two discs - how many more times do I have to buy the same few tracks in order to get a complete collection on CD? Having already bought the Complete Mike Oldfield and the Elements box set, all I can see is that the stuff on the third disc is a somewhat irritating 'carrot' to get the die-hards to buy the same material all over again. V. annoying. I just can't see that many of the general public forking out for a 3 disc set. They might as well buy one of the previous compilations or the original Tubular Bells which would probably be better value as an introduction/best of package.
And I really hope that isn't the cover! Another bloody twisted bell (and nothing else) - how imaginative  :/
Sorry 'bout the rant. I expect I'll buy it in any case   :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 12:14

Really, do not worry that this is the actual cover... do you really think "Platinium" would get through to printing? Must be a hoax or a joke.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 13:13

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 14 2006, 09:44)
Elements was a great front cover, this is dull and unimaginitive beyond belief :/

I agree. This looks like something someone such as myself would whip up in 3 minutes on a CD label maker using a downloaded TB bell image.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 15:19

Just caught up with this and after reading it,well it,s a big let down yet again.How many more times do we have buy tubular bells,and why no live recordings?
I think i,ll give this one a miss ,as i,ve got all these tracks anyway and it does not make me want to buy it. :/
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2006, 19:57

what another "best-of" aw come on aren't they tired of releasing compilations with a very very few new material!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 14:45

Well, I suppose before Virgin let go of Mike's catalogue, they'll milk it till it dies. I expect Tubular Bells Megagoldplatinumruby edition will follow, as a two-CD release with the original and Boxed mixes and a live footage we've already seen on additional DVD.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 14:55

There must be a Mike Oldfield fan at Virgin!  :D

Our mole ;), let's get him/her to dig out the rarities, get them re-mastered, and put out for limited release.

This would probably make it expensive, are there people here willing to pay £30-40 to get there hands on official and truely rare material? I probably would be willing  :)

It's a dream of course, I'll have to get these rarities the hard way......

How I long for a better quality recording of the German Don Alfonso  :/   ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 15:58

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 15 2006, 14:55)
How I long for a better quality recording of the German Don Alfonso  :/   ;)

Here are the lyrics to Don Alfonso translated to German, and then back again via Google. Get to singing, and make your own version!

"Now be I a Toreador
I for safe
I kill bull by the notch be
and sometimes be more
and if it hear, which ring
within the ring
the ox every beginning
Trembling, which it know..."

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 16:11

That sounds wicked! I will! :D

Next weekend, it's a deal  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 16:44

I'm just surprised it didn't come out of the translation engine mentioning Toyota in the first line.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 05:30

Anyone who's a fan of any of the artists on Virgin / EMI's roster will be familiar with the 'Platinum Collection' series - some of them are completely pointless repackagings of CDs already available (e.g. the Phil Collins one which is just 3 studio albums in a slipcase), and some of them are an all-encompassing 'best of' collection (e.g. the Roxy Music and Genesis collections.)

I'm pleased that the MO Platinum Collection will fall into the latter category, and to be honest, I think Mike's long overdue this kind of entire career reappraisal collection. Like others have said, if someone picks this up for the TB theme and Moonlight Shadow and is then moved to check out some of the other albums, then that's superb!

Plus, what will help is that these collections are priced *very reasonably* - RRP for the 3CD Genesis collection was £13.99 which is the same price as a regular chart CD. In fact, shops like ASDA and Tescos were selling the Genesis Platinum Collection for £9.97 which is an absolute bargain.

Don't forget this collection is not aimed at us, it's aimed at the casual record buyer, so if we're not interested, that's not the point! If it were aimed at us it would be crammed with rare live tracks and B-sides, let's hope something like that will happen one day but for the moment I'm glad they've at least put some rare versions on CD3.

For the casual buyer, they won't notice or care that the versions are different but it does give us a reason to buy, which is something! Like someone said, perhaps they could have put on 'Mike Oldfield's Single' as an extra hook, but then again who's to say that the extract listed in the tracklist isn't that anyway?

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 08:26

Quote (LivingForever @ Jan. 18 2006, 10:30)
Don't forget this collection is not aimed at us, it's aimed at the casual record buyer, so if we're not interested, that's not the point!

That's not what their press release says:

this collection will be an essential item for the die-hard followers along with the thousands and thousands of fans for whom Mike Oldfield is a household name.

It may well be that casual buyers will be more interested in its content than the die hard followers, but it seems like they're hoping that die hard followers will be high on the list of buyers.

I'm not totally convinced that casual buyers won't care about what version of a song they get either - I get an awful lot of emails here which say something like "I used to have a Tubular Bells record back in the 70s, but I sold all my vinyl. I bought XYZ CD, but it's not the same one I had, do you know where I can get it?". They're not from people who have all of Mike's records, but rather just people who know that one record they used to have (or that they heard on the radio once) and want a CD with it on. People can be quite picky about what version they have...
I would put Moonlight Shadow amongst those songs which people like that might buy a compilation for, and those people will be quite disappointed to hear the extended version, as it's really quite different from the single that they'll have bought in the 80s, or have heard on the radio.

There will people who know none of his music and won't care though, and if the thing does sell for the price of a single album, then that makes the 'halfway house' choice of tracks seem rather less of a problem. At a low price, and placed prominently in every supermarket and service station out there, it could sell quite well. If it's left to die hard fans to go searching for it, it may not do as well as Virgin hope...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 13:22

And it still wouldn't have taken much effort or creative thinking to actually put together a best of box set that is a) appealing to the die hard fan and the casual listener alike and b) is a REAL celebration of everything MO is about and will get him decent reviews and therefore help sell the record.

Put it this way if you were introducing a mate to MO would you record them tracks like Earth Moving, Shine or any number of Mike's very mediocre and utterly dated 80's songs (which that second CD is positively brimming with) or would you record them excerpts from the best bits of the Lake, Crises, Taurus II or any other of his really good 80's music that you know would really impress them and show them Mike is about so much more than TB and Moonlight Shadow.

I don't know what the story was behind them getting the Complete MO together and them doing a great job of it and getting Mike to part with fantastic live recordings like Platinum, Sheba and Mount Teide and why they can't do something similar again with the Platinum collection. I think Mike could probably be arsed in 1985 since it was his first big 'best of' collection. Maybe he just can't be arsed in 2006.

Piss up brewery etc etc.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 16:44

Quote (Mix @ Jan. 14 2006, 12:14)
Really, do not worry that this is the actual cover... do you really think "Platinium" would get through to printing? Must be a hoax or a joke.

Moreover, the bell is exactly the one from TB1.  Covers have always used different bells IIRC.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 16:52

I'm also in for the live recordings. But we can complain here till we drop, it's the EMI/Virgin people who decide the releases. *sigh*  :/

And I'm still in for the release of those video recordings of the Queen Elizabeth Hall Tubular Bells performance! Mike said he had found them, so what's up? :P

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
132 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 18:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net