[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 19:51

Hey there, all!
I just have a question about one of the songs: 'Heaven's Open (12" Version)' Is this the version from the video on the Elements DVD?
Sorry, I'm not really up on singles (not much of a collector.. :p ) But this is my fave song of Mike's, so I just wondered. :)

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 08:23

Yes Moonwing. That's the version from the videoclip on the Elements DVD. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 08:33

It was in the AMAZON top pre release Chart last Week for
£12 -99    Its not there now and its £15-99   !!!!
THE COMPLETE Mike Oldfield is still the Best Compilation
out there IMO ... If i can get it for £12  roughly it will
only be for the 3rd Disc ...    ;)
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 08:59

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Jan. 19 2006, 13:23)
Yes Moonwing. That's the version from the videoclip on the Elements DVD. :)

Woohoo, thank you! :D

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 09:08

I'll weigh in on this one. Isn't "Platinum" a poor choice of a title for a collection with so little from his album actually "Platinum" and related works? It is like if they released a 4 CD "Pink Floyd Wall Collection" with only two or three songs from "The Wall" on it. Even though Virgin already has this "Platinum Collection" series going with other artists....

I think that "Platinum Collection" would be a good name for a multi- CD set with everything "Platinum" related: the actual "Platinum" album, the live TB and Incantations material from the "Platinum"-variant "Airborn" (Never released on CD, correct?), live "Platinum Suite" from "Complete" or something similar, and, of course, the ACTUAL song "Sally".

I'd also venture to say that my proposed "never will happen" Platinum collection would be more interesting to everyone reading this than the actual collection they are releasing in March.

The title is going to cause confusion, as well. Someone somewhere is sure to accidentally get the single CD when they want the collection and vice-versa just because the names are the same.

(and thanks, Korgscrew, for the Alan Parsons info I asked for)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Bobby_F Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 10:18

When I saw this was coming out, I was hoping that it might be SACD or DVD-Audio, but looks like it's just standard CD.

Got a DVD with 5.1 sound last month, and it plays both formats.  Not much out on it, but Dark Side of the Moon is unbelievable.

Read that the DVD-Audio mix of TB isn't that great, but can imagine some of Mike's stuff sounding amazing in this format.

Imagine Amarok creatively remixed for 5.1!!!!!!!!!

As to this compilation, agree with those who think it's a missed opportunity.

But if it is retailing at £10-£15, then it's clearly not aimed at us anyway - despite what Virgin may say.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 10:19

Well, you will find several other 'Platinum Collection's on amazon - David Bowie, Shania Twain, Laurel&Hardy...
Guess they didn't think much about Mike's album, but just wanted to join the line...

Talking about missed opportunities, I just got Manfred Mann's 'Odds'n Sods' collection for christmas - 4CDs, half of it 'previously unreleased' stuff, and several live recordings (and an impressive booklet) - still hoping we might some day see something like that from Mike...
Profile PM WEB 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 18:43

Bahhh...this is a complete waste of money...It could be named "the Platinum Waste of Money" collection....
Come on Mike, give us something new! Live recordings and stuff like that would be nice, for example...
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 19:07

Quote (Miguel @ Jan. 20 2006, 23:43)
Bahhh...this is a complete waste of money...It could be named "the Platinum Waste of Money" collection....
Come on Mike, give us something new! Live recordings and stuff like that would be nice, for example...

It's not Mike's choice, unless I'm very much mistaken.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 21:04

Most Virgin artists are recieving their Platinium Collections :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 06:22

Be Interesting to see a list of Artists and the number of
Compilation LPs and CDs to there Name.... It wouldnt
Suprise me if in many cases the Compilations outstripped
the Real Albums in Numbers... :/
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 16:43

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Jan. 20 2006, 19:07)
Quote (Miguel @ Jan. 20 2006, 23:43)

It's not Mike's choice, unless I'm very much mistaken.

yes your right,it,s virgin i,m peed off with. :(
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 06:42

By the way, the tracklisting on amazon.com leaves out all the Warner tracks except "Far Above the Clouds", only 41 tracks....

ummmmm  :/
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 08:54

hmmm this is strange..
But the art of cd seem to be mixed by someone else?
Is this not the orginal cover?? have a look

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 12:39

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 21 2006, 02:04)

I have just noticed on my shelf the Bryan Ferry -Roxy Music Platinum collection...I guess this is the sort of thing you were referring to Tati.

I still remain enthusiastic about the Mike Oldfield release, it will raise awareness of Mike's music and that's got to be good. True enough it is full of material we all have, and so perhaps it is unnecessary for us. (I will be buying it, coz I can't help myself!;). But we must remember it's going to be an easy choice & good value for money for those people just a little curious but not sure where to start.

I don't know how the music industry works but I hope that the artists get recognition from the record companies for these retrospective boxed sets. That's my only concern.

And,maybe, just maybe, there'll be some more music of interest to us. Let's be patient.
:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 12:44

Thats the best suggestion I've heard yet this year  :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 14:59

Quote (bee @ Jan. 22 2006, 12:39)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 21 2006, 02:04)

I have just noticed on my shelf the Bryan Ferry -Roxy Music Platinum collection...I guess this is the sort of thing you were referring to Tati.

I still remain enthusiastic about the Mike Oldfield release, it will raise awareness of Mike's music and that's got to be good. True enough it is full of material we all have, and so perhaps it is unnecessary for us. (I will be buying it, coz I can't help myself!;). But we must remember it's going to be an easy choice & good value for money for those people just a little curious but not sure where to start.

Idon't know how the music industry works but I hope that the artists get recognition from the record companies for these retrospective boxed sets. That's my only concern.

And,maybe, just maybe, there'll be some more music of interest to us. Let's be patient.
:)

I don't know how the music industry works but I hope that the artists get recognition from the record companies for these retrospective boxed sets. That's my only concern.

Ive Come to the Conclusion the Record Industry Works
on the Idea that it loves selling you the same thing
as many times as humanly possible without you even realising
it !!   ;)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 17:07

Quote (Deadcalm @ Jan. 22 2006, 14:59)
Ive Come to the Conclusion the Record Industry Works
on the Idea that it loves selling you the same thing
as many times as humanly possible without you even realising
it !!   ;)

Admit it. if Virgin sold a version of "Tubular Bells" featuring Oldfield's earlier intended title "Opus 1" and Branson's exact intend egg art (but the music would still be the same), many of us would buy it, right? :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2006, 15:31

Can't decide whether I want to splurge on this set or not, certainly the 3rd cd interests me a great deal as I have none of the extended mixes, not even on record or cassette, but the other two don't do it for me. I also love that the 3rd cd has an excerpt from AMAROK and Hibernaculum which is my favourite track from SODE. BUT WHY can't they put out a 3cd set that has NOTHING on it that is on anything else, there is enough material that's for sure. The frustrating thing is that they cater for the 'casual' or 'new' buyer as you say but KNOW that it is the die hard fans who buy most of these albums. It's NOT FAIR!!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 02:03

Nobody ever said the world of music was fair... it sounds cynical but maybe it's all about money...

Which is something I've been glad of Mike himself for, because he does actually seem to care about the music he creates. Artists like that seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Still, we're still in your corner Mike  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
132 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 18:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net