Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pauken Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2012, 12:46

Bah! These re-releases are a whole bunch of ho-hum. A couple of new remixes, some live stuff that's mostly already out there and no DVDs of anything. Guess that's saved me some money, especially after the Incantations fiasco. Pass.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 12:56

None of it sounds too bad to me. Live studio performance of Platinum sounds interesting and exactly the sort of rarity track we haven't heard before that I'd like to hear. Side one of Platinum is a gem in Mike's career for me, definitely one of my favourite pieces by him. Be interesting to hear Mike's new take on North Star, was listening to Royksopp's remix of Mike's version the other day.  All the live stuff sounds alright to have too.

QE2 I'm less fussed about, time's not been too kind on that album, has its moments though. Be interesting to hear Shiva.

If people are disappointed by these re-releases what realistically would you want that isn't being included? I guess he could have done full studio remixes again.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 12:59

I was really excited for a second there - until I realised that the 2nd discs are only CDs and not DVDs of concert footage...
A bit disappointed now  :/

I'll probably still buy 'em as I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to MO, and anything new (no matter how meagre) becomes a "must have". I guess I shouldn't admit that, should I?  :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 14:04

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ June 14 2012, 17:59)
I guess I shouldn't admit that, should I?  :p

Why not ? I'll be buying them. I must admit disappointment at the exclusion of 'Sally'. I'm not too bothered about 5.1 mixes for these particular albums, but I'd love to hear a surround version of 'Taurus 1' and of course 'Amorok' in the future ...
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 14:39

Quote (spark @ June 14 2012, 11:33)
Just noticed that the live Wembley show from 1980 is not the full show. Well no surprise there, but I was there and remember  Omadawn being played in the second half and Polka was the encore. Anyone remember that ?

I was at the Bingley hall Stafford and Polka was played after Platinum and then Mike had a break for 20 minutes and started the second half with Ommadawn :)
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 14:43

Quote (captainjjb @ June 14 2012, 11:54)
and a new version of incantations.   I can't remember them playing incantations on the 1980 tour, but thats probably just me forgetting. Which bit was it that they played?  Part 3 would have been doable by a smaller band I suppose....

I remember it,he played all 4 sides but cut it right down to about 15-20 minutes!
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 14:54

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ June 14 2012, 12:59)
I was really excited for a second there - until I realised that the 2nd discs are only CDs and not DVDs of concert footage...
A bit disappointed now  :/

I'll probably still buy 'em as I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to MO, and anything new (no matter how meagre) becomes a "must have". I guess I shouldn't admit that, should I?  :p

Until Ommadawn, I was the same as you, and when I started to listen to the new remix it sounded wonderful, but then seemed to dull down part way through and then we had the Incantations fiasco which shows it's not being done with care so I'm less inclined to bother. By co-incidence (noting your login) I'm listening to the 'Search For Spock' album - Great piece of music.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 15:01

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 14 2012, 19:04)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ June 14 2012, 17:59)
I guess I shouldn't admit that, should I?  :p

Why not ? I'll be buying them. I must admit disappointment at the exclusion of 'Sally'. I'm not too bothered about 5.1 mixes for these particular albums, but I'd love to hear a surround version of 'Taurus 1' and of course 'Amorok' in the future ...

I suppose it gives the message to the record company that I'll be prepared to buy pretty much anything as long as there's something new on it. Which might not be a good idea...
I do think they could have put a bit more into these releases - what about concert footage? - but it could have been worse I suppose. Agree with you about 'Sally'.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 15:04

I'm at a loss to comprehend why the producers have omitted the "rare" tracks of Sally, Alright Now and I've Got Rhythm (alternate mix) on Platinum.

They surely have some inkling of what the fans were expecting and wanting?

Whilst the Live stuff is nice to have as an official package - for me it doesn't beat having studio master quality copies of the rarer tracks.

Of course the selection and compiling of these releases is shrouded in mystery and we'll probably never know the reasoning but it don't half piss people off when material we love gets botched and neglected.

Although I will probably buy these releases I may well wait for the bargain basement prices in a few months time as I don't think I can justify paying full whack on such a defective product... "Deluxe" this certainly ain't.

What a crying shame.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 15:07

Quote (Cudsie @ June 14 2012, 15:04)
I'm at a loss to comprehend why the producers have omitted the "rare" tracks of Sally, Alright Now and I've Got Rhythm (alternate mix) on Platinum.

They surely have some inkling of what the fans were expecting and wanting?

Whilst the Live stuff is nice to have as an official package - for me it doesn't beat having studio master quality copies of the rarer tracks.

Of course the selection and compiling of these releases is shrouded in mystery and we'll probably never know the reasoning but it don't half piss people off when material we love gets botched and neglected.

Although I will probably buy these releases I may well wait for the bargain basement prices in a few months time as I don't think I can justify paying full whack on such a defective product... "Deluxe" this certainly ain't.

What a crying shame.

Totally agree.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 15:14

you don't think they will do something stupid like put Sally on the vinyl only release??
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 16:19

Have to add to the list of gutted people/....
NO SALLY ...why oh why....
From what I read Mike wanted the original Sally, and not happy with taking it of ...
SO here is the ideal opportunity to right and HUGE wrong....
and its not there !!!
NOT Good...

Live cds ... GOOD NEWS !!!!....better than these dodgy token 2010 "dance/remixes"....
Still lets see what happens....
( RE)Remastered ( for the 2nd time ) is still a rip off, as we've had them remastered already.
Would have been better doing a nice BOX set of MO live...
BUT I'll still feed my addiction and be mugged again and buy it ......
JUST wish that a Mike Oldfield fan should be involved in what goes on these CDs..... such an obvious idea....
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 16:41

Quote (Bell Boy @ June 14 2012, 16:19)
Have to add to the list of gutted people/....
NO SALLY ...why oh why....
From what I read Mike wanted the original Sally, and not happy with taking it of ...
SO here is the ideal opportunity to right and HUGE wrong....
and its not there !!!
NOT Good...

When Q magazine interviewed Mike and Phil Hartnol from Orbital together in Ibiza in 1996 Mike says he 'cringes' when listens to some of his older stuff. Do think Sally (a track about his ex wife as far as I'm aware) might have been one of those tracks he was referring to?

I can see why its not on the re-release. The reviews would demolish it as much as anything else because other wise its a great album.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 14 2012, 17:06

Quote (TOBY @ June 14 2012, 18:56)
Be interesting to hear Shiva.

amen.. new version of sheba sounds interesting...
Great to have some live stuff too..! :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 17:17

Okay, this is meant as a sort-of reply to mostly everyone here.

1. I don't like "Sally" within Platinum. I love it as a standalone song, but I don't see how it fits within the album - the way it sounds is totally different from all of the other tracks. Yes, I know, the Sally theme and its drum pattern are within Platinum (the track) and a bit of it is also in the short piece which precedes "Punkadiddle". But Platinum, the album, to me sounds like it is this big, glossy, shiny thing - it sounds exactly like it looks on the cover. "Sally", instead, sounds very deliberately rough, edgy and unrefined, and to me it's no wonder Richard Branson didn't want it on the finished product: I guess his main concern was its complete sonical diversity from the other tracks, rather than its inspired silliness. :)  Also, the album sounds very USA - it sounds like the place in which it was recorded. "Sally" sounds very UK. I'm afraid I can't explain this any better, to me it just sounds like that. In other words, although I am firmly convinced that Mike did write and record "Sally" for the album and that he did want "Sally" to be in it, I am equally firmly convinced that it doesn't fit. (And neither does "Into Wonderland", for that matter. :D)

2. When the deluxe edition of Incantations came out, Mike said that he couldn't make a 5.1 mix because the masters for the entire album were bad and/or damaged and/or missing. So I guess that "Sally" isn't here for the very same reason: because the album master which includes "Sally" is gone for good ever since it was pulled off the album. It may be that the Platinum + "Sally" master suffered the same disgraceful fate as the original 1974 master of the original mix of HR, which disappeared as soon as the mix was replaced - indeed, the original mix on CD 2 of the HR deluxe edition (which is not really the original mix, by the way) is very evidently a needle-drop - a very good, digitally-cleaned-up needle-drop, but still a needle-drop. [I've read somewhere that someone's remastered bootleg Beatles CDs, created from needle-drops, sound much better than the 2009 stereo remasters. I've no idea whether this is true or not.] For this Platinum reissue, Mike could've very well done a needle-drop of "Woodhenge" + "Sally" + "Punkadiddle" (or whatever), digitalize it, clean it up and include it in the deluxe edition, but evidently he didn't want to bother about it - he's too caught up in his "project of a lifetime". :D

That said, I have just placed an order for the two just-released deluxe editions, and for the two vinyl albums (yes, I'm a fanatic), and I'm happy with this. If I want to listen to "Sally", I just play it alone, as a FLAC file from my MOSaR collection :cool:

May I rectify my very first statement in this very post? This is not meant as a reply to anyone. This is meant as a statement of my personal opinions. Now go ahead and shoot me. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 02:25

I think my biggest concern is the LIVE recordings.  

Does anyone know if these are the same quality recordings as the bootlegs/massive LIVE collection, we can find all across the internet, or are these performances better quality?  

I don't wish to buy something that is already available... legal or not!  I'm not into owning every released version of an artists material.  Unless, it contains tracks and/or quality, not previously found/released.  My hope is that it is an excellent recording of one of my favorite bootlegs!!!!!!  The Ommadawn drum solo alone is worth the purchase :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 02:41

A good and smooth quality of these live recordings is my big hope of the Deluxe Editions... I'am not really interest in new remastered albums, because i already have 2000 remasters, wchich sounds greats.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 15 2012, 02:49

Would Mike release a live disc if it wasn't up to scratch....I doubt it very much... Yes and I can hear people say there have been numerous problems with the recent editions, but how much of that is actually Mikes fault.

As for Sally... No big deal you all obviously have a copy of it anyway.

So no complaints from me, Really looking forward to both.

And at least this time it is actually a wave....Somewhat  ;)
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 03:25

Quote (Ugo @ June 14 2012, 17:17)
1. I don't like "Sally" within Platinum. I love it as a standalone song, but I don't see how it fits within the album - the way it sounds is totally different from all of the other tracks. Yes, I know, the Sally theme and its drum pattern are within Platinum (the track) and a bit of it is also in the short piece which precedes "Punkadiddle". But Platinum, the album, to me sounds like it is this big, glossy, shiny thing - it sounds exactly like it looks on the cover. "Sally", instead, sounds very deliberately rough, edgy and unrefined, and to me it's no wonder Richard Branson didn't want it on the finished product: I guess his main concern was its complete sonical diversity from the other tracks, rather than its inspired silliness. :)  Also, the album sounds very USA - it sounds like the place in which it was recorded. "Sally" sounds very UK. I'm afraid I can't explain this any better, to me it just sounds like that. In other words, although I am firmly convinced that Mike did write and record "Sally" for the album and that he did want "Sally" to be in it, I am equally firmly convinced that it doesn't fit. (And neither does "Into Wonderland", for that matter. :D)

You're right. I edited a Platinum side two 1th edition version to get the feel of the original release. Certainly the backing track and guitar solo of Sally are quite fine but the vocals sound uncommon and do not reflect the mood of the album.

In contrast Into Wonderland sounds more glossy, vintage and gives some kind of 1920's and "big city" feel... If you know what I mean.
By the way Mike used Sally's swinging drum track for Into Wonderland.

Nevertheless I wished they would have included Sally as a bonus track.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 03:54

Definately not buying.
I'm here for the new stuff, not for the re-runs.
IMHO even remixes are a lack of creativity.
Sorry.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net