Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2012, 09:28

The rumour mill's been running hot for a while, and we're now able to confirm it officially - new releases of Platinum and QE2 from Mercury/Universal are on their way!

Both will be available as both a standard single CD edition, a 2 CD deluxe edition (each including a CD of a live concert performance from the respective tour) and a limited edition coloured vinyl LP (blue for Platinum, white for QE2). Both albums have been remastered and the releases have been supervised by Mike Oldfield.

The release date for both is July 23rd 2012.

Track listings for the Deluxe Editions are:

Platinum

Disc 1

01 Part One - Airborn 05:06
02 Part Two - Platinum 06:06
03 Part Three - Charleston 03:17
04 Part Four - North Star / Platinum Finale 04:44
05 Woodhenge 04:05
06 Into Wonderland 03:46
07 Punkadiddle 05:46
08 I Got Rhythm 04:50
09 Platinum (Live Studio Session) 05:12
10 North Star (2012 mix) 08:07
11 Blue Peter 02:06

Disc 2 - Live at Wembley Arena, May 1980

01 Platinum 20:43
02 Punkadiddle 05:17
03 I Got Rhythm 04:59
04 Polka 03:42
05 Incantations 22:14
06 Tubular Bells Part II 08:53
07 Guilty / Tubular Bells Part I Finale 05:45
08 Blue Peter / Portsmouth 03:38
09 William Tell 02:27

QE2

Disc 1

01 Taurus 1 10:16
02 Sheba 03:32
03 Conflict 02:48
04 Arrival 02:45
05 Wonderful Land 03:37
06 Mirage 04:39
07 QE2 07:37
08 Celt 03:03
09 Molly 01:16
10 Polka 03:34
11 Wonderful Land (Single Version) 02:50
12 Shiva 03:34 (2012 reworking of Sheba)

Disc 2 - Live in Essen, European Adventure Tour, April 1981

01 Taurus 1 11:11
02 Sheba 03:28
03 Mirage 05:01
04 Conflict 05:16
05 Ommadawn 21:45
06 Punkadiddle 05:24
07 Tubular Bells Part I 18:30
08 QE2 04:55
09 Portsmouth 02:28

More details and pre-ordering information on mikeoldfieldofficial.com
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2012, 09:49

No to Sally but yes to Shiva.

Will it be like "Sheba" but with a warlike Hindu bent?

Man, if you don't know who Shiva is, that comment looks really bad :(

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 09:55

Let the flame wars begin!
No stop that please. Let's be civilized.

I was so hoping for Sally being on the list. Really too bad.
Also it would be nice if all the live recordings were available separately. I am not sure I want to buy the same stuff again this time... Even though re-re-re-remastered.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 09:59

What is the track "Shiva"?

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:02

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 14 2012, 13:59)

It's a new reworking of Sheba.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:07

I can't help feeling disappointed that there are no signed versions available  :/

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:12

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 14 2012, 16:02)
Quote (yanouch65 @ June 14 2012, 13:59)

It's a new reworking of Sheba.

Thanks R.

By the way, Official website doesn't mention that it was in Essen
How do you know that?
Secret?  
;)

Y

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:18

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 14 2012, 14:12)
By the way, Official website doesn't mention that it was in Essen
How do you know that?
Secret?  
;)

I have my sources *knowing wink* ;)

In this case the source is an email announcement from the folks at Universal:

------

Platinum & QE2
Released July 23rd
Universal’s Mike Oldfield reissues continue with albums five and six…

Universal Music Catalogue/Mercury Records are delighted to announce the fifth and sixth in Mike Oldfield's critically acclaimed reissue programme, Platinum and QE2.

Like the previous releases in the series, Mike Oldfield has been closely involved in their assemblage, selecting material, approving masters and adding material from his archive to make the packages definitive editions.

Album 5: Platinum

Recorded in part at Electric Lady Studios in New York City, the mood of Oldfield’s fifth album especially reflects the bustling dynamic of the city in the late Seventies. It was Oldfield’s first album to feature shorter songs, including a beautiful version of George Gershwin’s I Got Rhythm and a new arrangement of North Star by Philip Glass.

The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks – a live studio session of Platinum, a 2012 mix of North Star by Oldfield and the single A-side, Blue Peter. The second disc of the Deluxe edition - which features an interview with Oldfield in its 16-page booklet - contains nine previously unreleased tracks recorded during the Platinum tour at Wembley Arena in May 1980.

Album 6: QE2

Taking its name from one the last great Transatlantic ocean liners, Mike Oldfield’s sixth album was a beautiful blend of instrumentals and songs that reflected the shifting musical landscape which heralded a new decade. Released in October 1980, it features two of his most loved instrumentals, QE2 and Taurus, as well as cover versions of Wonderful Land by the Shadows and, surprisingly perhaps for the time, Arrival by Abba.

The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks, the single edit of Wonderful Land, the live B-side ‘Polka’, and a 2012 reworking by Mike of Sheba, entitled Shiva. The second disc of the Deluxe edition, which contains an interview with Mike in its 16-page booklet, features nine previously unreleased tracks recorded on the QE2 tour in Essen, Germany in April 1981.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:22

Overall it looks positive.
Of course could have been cool to have Sally reinstated.
But I could well imagine that the original mix of Sally might be difficult to find a source for, apart from the original LP pressings. Maybe it still exists on the multitrack tapes?
We should demand a Sally 2012 remix  :D

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
IrvingProg Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:34

I agree with Kiwwy - how about Universal issuing "Sally" as a special download?    - coupled with "All Right Now" please!!
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:50

No Sally included... What a shame.  :(
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 10:54

Ordered! Shame about Sally, but I like the live versions!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:01

Good news, but as previous respondents have commented, some sad omissions.  Apart from 'Sally' a DVD of 'The Essential Mike Oldfield' Knebworth 1980 set would have been good as would the making of Blue Peter which was a fascinating insight into how MO worked.

We've already been a little bit spoilt on the QE2 era with the DVD of Montreux already available.  However, inclusion of the Royal Wedding Anthem would have been nice, as would 'Nimrod' which he played as a one off at the Guildhall Yards free concert in 1981 and the 1981 live version of incantations which includes that brilliant bass riff/guitar solo bit that was omitted from the 'Exposed' version.

Still, nice to have the live tracks on both which will probably be a little better in the quality department than the versions of dubious origin (actually a german bloke at a record fair in Excel) that I'm listening to at present.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:02

So far so good. I'm not missing 5.1 surround mixes so there's more space for other stuff - I appreciate the choice of live stuff instead.
But in my opinion Universal needs some advice by Mike's followers as the concerts are not completely new or unreleased.  

Wembley 1980 is a quite common FM recording even though not the full set list was featured.

Overall the Platinum deluxe is not bad, although significant track like Sally, All Right Now and the alternative versions of Blue Peter are missing.

QE2 deluxe is quite disappointing. The edit of Wonderful Land is not essential and although has been released on MO Christmas EP CD and Polka on Elements box set. The latter belongs in my opinion the pre QE2 stuff although it has been released on b/ Arrival. I don't know about the potential of Virgin's archives but can't imagine that's all from 1980/81.

Sheba, Mirage, Platinum have been released already on The Complete, Punkadiddle on b/ Five Miles Out 7" and on the Elements box set. I would not be surprising if Punkadiddle appears again on Five Miles Out re-release.

Overall the new direction (2nd CD live stuff) let me hope for FMO, Crises and Discovery as official live recordings are nearly not existing up to date.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:03

Pretty disappointed at the tracklisting - even the live tracks we've pretty much had before, thanks to the Montreux DVD and 'The Complete Mike Oldfield' 2CD compilation. Also, Polka was on Elements, I think.

So no sign of Sally, the alternative I Got Rhythm, Pastosi, the Royal Wedding Anthem or the various alternative mixes of Blue Peter?

Oh well, at least Shiva is new material!!! Let's just hope he uses a real vocalist this time and not those computer voices he loved so much on 'Light & Shade'.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:08

Can't help feeling that these are just money making gimmick releases from Universal. They're not Deluxe by any means and I expect the packaging will be as per the Incantations release. No 'Sally' - that's a major disappointed for me. I don't think the remixes really involve Mike other than he is sent the remaster to listen and agree and he's never been that fond of listening to his past work.
So what we've got is one interesting track (Shiva) and some live tracks. The White and Blue vinyl again is just a gimmick (to make up for the fact that MO probably won't sign these anymore?) - they didn't even get the vinyl right for TB - very poor quality.
I'll wait to view the comments and will probably only buy if they end up at bargain prices in a few months. I have to say that the HDCD releases were about the best for me at least. Still, it will be interesting to hear what others say once they've heard them and that will either confirm or change my opinion.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:14

No muck ups this time with signed editions. Universal have learnt their lesson at last . Shame no Sally .
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:33

Just noticed that the live Wembley show from 1980 is not the full show. Well no surprise there, but I was there and remember  Omadawn being played in the second half and Polka was the encore. Anyone remember that ?
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 11:54

and a new version of incantations.   I can't remember them playing incantations on the 1980 tour, but thats probably just me forgetting. Which bit was it that they played?  Part 3 would have been doable by a smaller band I suppose....
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 14 2012, 12:23

What i'am curious about those releases is Platinum (Live Studio Session), North Star 2012, Shiva (?! ) and of course a concerts discs.

The prior thing that disappointed me is absence of a 5.1 mixes and new stereo mixes of entire albums... Well, i understand that Mike wont to make new versions of all his albums but those new remixes of the first three masterpieces helped me to listen to this music from a different "angle" (especcialy when i listen to a separate channels from 5.1 mixes) - this was amazing thing to me. I was hoping to listen Five Miles Out album in 5.1 mix in the future but now i see there are no chances for it (maybe just for FMO track).

Another unhappy thing is absence of two tracks mentioned before: 'Sally' and 'All Right Now'...
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net