Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mix Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2012, 05:10

I guess most have already checked, but just in case...

The deluxe-cd editions can already be pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk as well. List price there is more than £5 lower than in Universal's store.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 06:31

Does anyone know what the 6 cd set actually is :-

Amazon UK

Is it the remixes mentioned by the German DJ Torsten Stenzel ?  :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 06:35

Quote (HuanCry @ June 15 2012, 06:31)

Amazon UK

Is it the remixes mentioned by the German DJ Torsten Stenzel ?

I think it could be just the first four remastered albums + two forthcoming releases packed in one box. The release date of that box is the same as the Platinum and QE2 remasters.
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 06:42

I will certainly buy both deluxe editions.

I have all Oldfields Virgin stuff on vinyl, and have been waiting
for ages to buy decent CD releases of Mike Oldfields backcatalogue.
I never bought the previous remasters because they had no bonustracks.

Ofcourse it's a pity that there is no Sally or Allright Now on this release.
But then again, I missed Don Alfonso on the Hergest Ridge remaster.

I like to believe master tapes are deleted, lost or damaged,
because Sally and Allright Now weren't really proper releases.
The first one withdrawn and the second one on flexidisc.

Maybe Universal had no entry to those tracks,
or maybe the compilers didn't bother about their existence.

I also miss The Path (a 1979 recording that was released
a the b-side to Shine), but it may resurface on Islands deluxe.

Isn't the Polka version on the Platinum live bonus disc
the same recording as the Arrival b-side? I guess so.

And isn't Punkadiddle on the QE2 live bonus disc
the same recording as the Five Miles Out b-side?

I hope Five Miles Out, Crises and Discovery will come as a trio
with all the non album singles and b-sides on it. The 12" versions
(can be found on the Platinum 3CD box) are no must in my opinion.
Maybe some live material from that era would be more welcome.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2012, 06:45

Quote (HuanCry @ June 15 2012, 10:31)

Amazon UK

Is it the remixes mentioned by the German DJ Torsten Stenzel ?  :)

We've not been officially told about that one, but as far as I'm aware, it's exactly what equinoxe said. It may also be the case that the albums are without any bonus tracks, though that's just me speculating (based on similar releases for other artists on other labels).

The release date may or may not be accurate - the official word was that plans for releases other than QE2 and Platinum are still being finalised.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 06:54

Thanks Korgscrew & Equinoxe

Stenzel did mention the remixes are planned to be released by Universal this year though.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 07:04

I wonder why there's no Deluxe Edition of Exposed. Is it only the studio albums that are being re-released?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 07:41

It looks like your right Korgscrew & Equinoxe :-

Spin

:D
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 07:48

It has a nice price for a 6-pack :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 07:57

@ stpaul: I do know that the drums in "Into Wonderland" and "Sally" are the same. As far as I remember from what I've read, the whole of "Sally" was ditched except for the drums, then they retained the drums, added some more and built an entirely new song over them. I don't really like "Into Wonderland", because musically it goes nowhere. "Sally" has at least a musical connection with the rest of Platinum, but, as you say, sonically it remains a misfit.

@ dazzler, re. "Polka": yes, it's also on Elements. Re. "Punkadiddle": yes, but without the crackles and the pops. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
guimabvue Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 08:59

Do we know how many limited editions have been printed?

It's a shame for Sally, but i'm very glad to see those live sessions on the deluxe editions. Hope that their quality will be better than on the bootlegs! :)
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 09:30

To Captain JJ, No I dont remember Incantations being played either . All I can recall is the first half being Platinum the second half Omadawn and Bells part 2 then Polka, Guilty and other singles being played with someone dressed as a Gorilla dancing with Mike.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 09:58

Isn't the alternate version of "I Got Rhythm" a live take from the Wembley Arena concert? If yes, than we will got this track with the entire live performance on the second disc of Platinum Deluxe...
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 10:37

Quote (Ugo @ June 14 2012, 22:17)
... indeed, the original mix on CD 2 of the HR deluxe edition (which is not really the original mix, by the way) is very evidently a needle-drop - a very good, digitally-cleaned-up needle-drop, but still a needle-drop.

As evidenced by the fade-in to Part 1, rather than the original (and Boxed) cold drop-in.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 11:46

Quote (Ugo @ June 15 2012, 07:57)
@ stpaul: I do know that the drums in "Into Wonderland" and "Sally" are the same. As far as I remember from what I've read, the whole of "Sally" was ditched except for the drums, then they retained the drums, added some more and built an entirely new song over them. I don't really like "Into Wonderland", because musically it goes nowhere. "Sally" has at least a musical connection with the rest of Platinum, but, as you say, sonically it remains a misfit.

What about a like in the 'Sally' is that clean, fresh, groovy drum beat with those hi-hat sounds approaching some seconds later making it very funky. Vocals are funny, but also very moody. I think, 'Sally' fit much more into the album than "Into Wonderland" and this is normal, as it was originally intended part of the album. So shame they not included it on the new remaster (even as a bonus standalone track), but anyway, we have a reminiscence of 'Sally' in the beginning of Punkadidle :)
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 12:16

ordered limited editions for now.

i like those live cds i just checked those concerts from my flac bootlegs and those offical releases seems to be more complete than bootlegs that are exist

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 13:17

Has anyone here heard Royksopp's remix of North Star? Its totally stripped back but its quite good still. The little melodies they've added on top are nice. I wonder if Mike's new version is inspired by it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzfT9Cu1w6o
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 15 2012, 14:58

Quote (equinoxe @ June 15 2012, 09:58)
Isn't the alternate version of "I Got Rhythm" a live take from the Wembley Arena concert? If yes, than we will got this track with the entire live performance on the second disc of Platinum Deluxe...

The version of I Got Rhythm released on Impressions is definitely a live recording but you can't hear the audience at all. I thought is was rehearsal recording. But maybe its from Wembley 80 as it is part of the FM recording I have of this concert.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 02:08

BTW have anybody noticed, that if you enter the QE2 vinyl edition you have '2000 Digital Remaster' after every track? Can it be true, that this applies also the Platinum album and the CD editions? So we even don't get actually new 2012 remaster of the albums but a 2000 remaster?? Now i'am confused....
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 10:31

Quote (equinoxe @ June 16 2012, 02:08)
BTW have anybody noticed, that if you enter the QE2 vinyl edition you have '2000 Digital Remaster' after every track? Can it be true, that this applies also the Platinum album and the CD editions? So we even don't get actually new 2012 remaster of the albums but a 2000 remaster?? Now i'am confused....

Well spotted and looking at the blurb, it doesn't say anywhere that these are remastered!!!
"Like the previous releases in the series, Mike Oldfield has been closely involved in their assemblage, selecting material, approving masters and adding material from his archive to make the packages definitive editions."
All the earlier ones had 'remastered' somewhere, even if it was just on the track listing.
However, on another website:
"The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks – a live studio session of Platinum, a 2012 mix of North Star by Mike and the single A side, Blue Peter. The second disc of the Deluxe edition, which contains an interview with Mike in its 16-page booklet, features nine previously unreleased tracks recorded on the Platinum tour at Wembley Arena in May 1980."
and:
"The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks, the single edit of Wonderful Land, the live B-side ‘Polka’, and a 2012 reworking of Sheba, entitled Shiva. The second disc of the Deluxe edition, which contains an interview with Mike in its 16-page booklet, features nine previously unreleased tracks recorded on the QE2 tour in Essen, Germany in 1981."
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net