Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2012, 11:22

Quote (familyjules @ June 18 2012, 05:31)
Quote (stpaul @ June 17 2012, 15:50)
Quote (hergest fridge @ June 17 2012, 15:10)
Sally was never going to appear.Think about it,it's a  song about mikes love for his at the time girlfriend,move foreward 30 odd years married to someone else i think we would all be a little embarassed by it.  ;)

It is a quite bourgeois point of view

Bourgeois?!?!?!

Jules

@ Jules:
I'm not an English native speaker - I thought it was the right word. I can't express it better :-(
--------------------------------------------------------------------

@Black Bunik / regarding Orabidoo:

Try the 1993 New York concert. It is not the best interpretation but the best recording
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 11:56

Quote (stpaul @ June 18 2012, 11:22)
Quote (hergest fridge @ June 17 2012, 15:10)
Sally was never going to appear.Think about it,it's a  song about mikes love for his at the time girlfriend,move foreward 30 odd years married to someone else i think we would all be a little embarassed by it.  ;)

Bourgeois?!?!?!

Jules

@ Jules:
I'm not an English native speaker - I thought it was the right word. I can't express it better :-(
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Try the 1993 New York concert. It is not the best interpretation but the best recording

Being Swedish I think "bourgeois" makes perfects sense in this context. Is it the kind of english that only none native-speakers can relate to?  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 18 2012, 15:57

Quote (manintherain @ June 18 2012, 11:41)
Because it was properly recorded. That´s why we´re all after it.

Here you find a clip with decent quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdNivnZd2Y

wow thats better quality.. :) thx for sharing!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 18:02

Well, where to start? Firstly let me say I welcome any new release by Mike & will buy them regardless. But the exclusion of Sally & Alright Now on Platinum is unforgivable!! We have all probably got either the vinyl version of Sally or a copy in some form, & the same with Alright Now, but the remaster series is the ideal opportunity to get new official releases of these. Universal are shooting themselves in the foot here as including these rarities would only boost sales. As for why a DVD of the Essential Mike Oldfield (Knebworth) was not included is also a mystery (along with the full Alright Now video). I guess I will have to stick to my import mastered from the laser disc release of the Essential. Also both 7" versions of Blue Peter could have been included, there's plenty of room on CD1.
As for the live CDs, Mike also played Platinum (1-4) & T. Bells Part2 at Essen 81, and Ommadawn Part 1 at Wembley 80. It would have been nice to have these included. Obviously they would have had to make them 3 CD sets for the extra live tracks, but it would be nice to have the full concerts & the cost would not be that much greater. The inclusion of the little performed live William Tell is a nice touch though.
Lastly, I was wondering why there is no Exposed release. I seem to remember Korgscrew mentioning some time ago that something special was planned for it. The amount of sounddesk recordings that should exist for this tour surely opens up a lot of possibilities for releases of various concerts?
As i said I do appreciate any new release by Mike & will be buying all versions including the 6 cd box set as I am a collector, but fan input into these releases by the people who will be buying them would be a good idea to help get the ultimate editions, or if tracks have been lost or degraded, some of us will have pristine quality recordings that could possibly be used & cleaned up. An explanation from Universal as to why obvious tracks like Sally & Alright Now are not included would be appreciated!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 18:10

Forgot to say, does anyone know how many coloured vinyls are being pressed? When Universal issued the Stones 'Some Girls' coloured vinyls they stated they were limited to 500 each colour. Then a week or so later it changed to limited edition & they are still selling them months later!
It does say the Mike Oldfield ones are numbered but not how many. I also see Amazon are selling vinyls but it doesnt say if they are black or coloured vinyl.

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 21:19

Quote (manintherain @ June 18 2012, 05:29)
Yes, it´s a cover.
No, it was not released but only shown twice on TV.

;)

Legend says there was a limited flexi 7" with 'Alright Now', according to the book 'New Facts and Old Files', but noone has ever seen it.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 02:12

Damn !!  :(

I was hoping the ' Project of a lifetime' quote refered to something major i.e. a new album ... but according to DARK STAR its seemingly just the fact of TB being included in Olympic's opening ceremony

I'm pi**ed off !  :(

I just hope they've got it wrong !
Profile PM 
jjmillenium Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 04:53

"but more still to come", so, it seems that the Olympics it's not the only news. I hope!
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 04:55

Yeah, I've got that one. But thanks. :)
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 05:05

Quote (larstangmark @ June 18 2012, 11:56)
[quote=hergest fridge,June 17 2012, 15:10]Sally was never going to appear.Think about it,it's a  song about mikes love for his at the time girlfriend,move foreward 30 odd years married to someone else i think we would all be a little embarassed by it.  ;)

Bourgeois?!?!?!

@ Jules:

Being Swedish I think "bourgeois" makes perfects sense in this context. Is it the kind of english that only none native-speakers can relate to?  :laugh:

It must be.  I still can't figure out how saying a man may wish to forget a song about an old girlfriend, and possibly be embarrassed by the same, is "bourgeois".

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 08:18

Looks like we'll all need to keep an eye out for where the walls are, come the revolution! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 09:30

It's always a pleasure to see this forum come to life !

It is unforgivable not to include "Sally" and "All Right Now", these are not rarities of recording sessions but tracks that were released... We strut complicated relationships that can have Mike with his ex, and "All Right Now", a flexi disc which was released as a bonus in magazines, is perhaps not the title of the century but... But who will buy these reissues ?? Fandom and only fandom, and what better than to keep a fan base happy ? Who cares that the multitrack of "Sally" is lost, there is a way to release a clean version of this track. And so on...

After I still hope, Platinum has always been an unloved album with me, and I hope that the reissue provide me the same pleasure of rediscovering I had with Hergest Ridge. Regarding QE2, it was the first album that I listened of Mike, it keeps a special place in my discography.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 10:57

Firstly, why is it Mike's fans are always so negative about his releases? leave that to the non-fans, and be happy that your fan of the great man :)
I am always excited about any release from Mike, and the deluxe editions are never going to contain everything that people want, but for me, I like the idea that Mike doesn't release everything, that there is always something old and rare we are yearning for, why have everything? Even with The Beatles, and their extensive Anthology 3 double CD release, there is still lot's of unreleased stuff of them in the archives.  Plus for new people finding Mike's music all of the tracks will be new, we can't just think about ourselves now, we have to consider new fans and fans in the future yet to discover Mike.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 11:08

This is from a web site progressive ears...
VICKY who runs a label with Mark who works closely on the re issues, has made the following comment that MIKE himself didnt want Sally etc ...

ombasan said:
, and that the original Sally is not included.
coming to the point, Mike Oldfield didnt want this or any of the other suggested "ommissions" included. Its not that they were not suggested. Mike has final say on his catalogue.

24 Member: sunhillow 6/18/2012 9:24 AM
vicky said:
coming to the point, Mike Oldfield didnt want this or any of the other suggested "ommissions" included. Its not that they were not suggested. Mike has final say on his catalogue.
Well Vicky, as you now have a hotline with him, tell him we'll forgive him not mixing these into 5.1 but only if that means he's already quite busy mixing Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1, and maybe Amarok too. Not issuing these 2 (or 3) in 5.1 is almost criminal.

Tell him that  

Oh, and while you're at it, I'm happy to stream this reissues at Progstreaming for a short while  

-------------
www.progstreaming.com

25 Member: vicky 6/18/2012 10:31 AM
I will of course pass on your good wishes! I mentioned what i did because I had noticed some comments on forums implying its a complete oversight etc and compiler didnt know what he is doing etc, etc. That is most certainly not the case---there are always reasons
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 12:31

Thanks Bell Boy, that goes with what I'm saying, this is all Mike's music, he should decide what get's put out, not the fans. Mike doesn't even like some of his old music, we all know he doesn't like Don Alfonso!!

I am interested in Shiva though, I am wondering if It's all Mike, or did he give Maggie Reilly a call for the vocals?

Also, about the "project of a lifetime" Surely it can't be the Olympics things, although they are going to use Tubular Bells in the mix, Mike won't be playing, or involved with the mix, so how could that be the project of a lifetime? It's a mystery.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 13:30

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 19 2012, 12:31)
Also, about the "project of a lifetime" Surely it can't be the Olympics things, although they are going to use Tubular Bells in the mix, Mike won't be playing, or involved with the mix, so how could that be the project of a lifetime? It's a mystery.

I think, the project of a lifetime could be just a new, future album, that Mike will release. Maybe he will use some new specific techniques and stuff like the midi saxophone on Tres Lunas or so. But we will see... A completely new album would be a dream!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 14:25

I can totally understand him not wanting Sally on there. From a critical point of view it'll help the album no end by omitting it. Personally I don't think his version of All Right Now lives up to the quality of the rest of Platinum either. That track may well have been omitted for royalty reasons anyway. Presumably they would have to have paid Free something for its use?

I also don't really think its almost criminal for him to be not doing a 5.1 mix of these albums. So few people listen to music on a 5.1 system. Even when there was a craze for it round about the time of the TB2003 5.1 mix not that many people were into it. I'd prefer a new stereo mix but even then I don't think any of these albums particularly need it.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 14:46

I'm pleased that some of MO fans will find these and anything from the back catalogue exciting and enjoyable. My own view is that MO isn't that closely involved anymore even though I suspect he was with Hergest Ridge and TB. I think it's down to the record company now with minimal input from MO. I actually appreciate HR much more following the deluxe release - so it was worth it for me for that alone. But I don't see enough on these deluxe releases to push me to buy them. I loved the extras on Ommadawn but hated the remaster for what appeared to be a slip of the mixer - still can't believe it was an artistic choice to downplay the pivitol moment of this album, but maybe that's just me.
Looking forward to anything new, but if he produces nothing else then he's still given me more pleasure that any other musician with some of the most emotional music I've ever experienced.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 15:24

Quote (Bell Boy @ June 19 2012, 16:08)
....  MIKE himself didnt want Sally etc ...

... Mike Oldfield didnt want this or any of the other suggested "ommissions" included. Its not that they were not suggested. Mike has final say on his catalogue...

This sounds very likely ..
I remember reading on the Amorok mailing list many moons ago a retyped fax message detailing the correspondence between MO and Virgin regarding the Complete Mike Oldfield compilation in 1985. The tracklisting Mike wanted was very bland and predictable even compared to what was eventually released. He appeared unwilling to allow anything released that was not generally easily available already.
He now has veto over any release, since now he has control of his Virgin era catalogue.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 15:40

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 19 2012, 16:57)
I like the idea that Mike doesn't release everything, that there is always something old and rare we are yearning for, why have everything?

Hello James, and sorry for taking just a little snippet from your longer post. I fully agree with the whole of it. I think that Mike just did not want to release "Sally", at least not right now in 2012. Whatever the reason is, I don't know and I don't care. Is he embarassed by that song? Maybe. Did it sound like a good idea at the time (like that guy said before stripping himself naked and jumping on a cactus... :laugh:), now it doesn't really sound like one? (I repeat, sonically it doesn't fit.) Maybe. I just don't want to know. If you remember, back when the so-called Ultimate Edition of TB was released, everybody (I mean, all of us hardcore fans) wondered why "Theme from TB" had been tampered with and why "Froggy" wasn't included at all. Mike himself answered about the former piece, in the enclosed book: he doesn't like it, it was something he did because it was requested to him and not because he wanted to. Maybe he didn't release "Froggy" because Vanessa Branson was involved. :D Whatever the reason, it's fine with me that Mike kept it to himself. This is what is happening now, and it's fine with me. It's just another case of, like Mr. Vico said, history repeating.

He now has veto over any release, since now he has control of his Virgin era catalogue.

This is why I think we can put all our minds at rest about ever getting a 5.1 mix of Amarok. As far as I know Mike doesn't really like that album any longer, maybe he never did.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net