Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hergest fridge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 17 2012, 15:10

Sally was never going to appear.Think about it,it's a  song about mikes love for his at the time girlfriend,move foreward 30 odd years married to someone else i think we would all be a little embarassed by it.  ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 15:10

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 16 2012, 16:17)
Yes indeed, it was recorded for the Reflections film, as was Woodhenge. Much has been said of Sally not sitting well with the rest of Platinum, I think if that's the case then maybe Woodhenge doesn't either.

When I first heard Platinum (could have been 1983?) I found Woodhenge to be the odd track that didn't quite fit. "Sally" sounds like a pop tune loosely based on the "Charleston" part of the title track. Woodhenge is the only track on the album that is not pop/rock/disco-influenced.
Woodhenge is a unique track though. It's a very minimalist/ambient type composition, perhaps a close cousin to the Hiawatha part of Incantations but with even less melody.

In fact Woodhenge makes me think of John Marshall's own track on Soft Machine's excellent "Seven" album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4PIfYxkO8

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 15:39

so we can expect that future releases will be also lazy repacked 2000 remasters with some additional tracks...

i hope they could add some cool live dvds to deluxe in future releases, such as Viareggio and Roskilde...would love to watch those in decent quality...Atleast viareggio is possible to buy from RAI TV but not by inviduals.
People that arent hardcore MO fans or collectors, they need something else that attract them to buy new versions...we collectors buy anything that is released.

Also wondering when comes Blu-ray version from existing live shows? blu-rays starting to be that common already that if there is high quality masters available, they should be authored to high def format

Amazon lists also vinyls in list wondering if platinum and qe2 normal edition vinyls are color or black...i guess limited editions are up to 500 copies like usually?

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 15:41

I don't mind that they won't include a new remastered version.  The original of Platinum is a top production and the HDCD from 2000 is quite good. The remaster of Guilty on Incantations 2011 is quite bad and I prefer the audio track from the video. It's a matter of taste.

Although I don't like Sally in the context of Platinum, the omission as a bonus track is unforgivable. Fortunately we have the internet an there are satisfactory of Sally and I like to encourage you to make your own Platinum edition with Sally.

Besides I've read somewhere on the internet theses days that Virgin originally intended to release All Right Now as a single.  Further a video was shot of this track so I cannot imagine it was impossible to make it available on the deluxe edition of Platinum.

I'm also disappointed that the Knebworth concert is not included in this context on DVD. But nevermind it is available for about 10,-EUR in various internet shops - officially or not.

I really keep my fingers crossed they will include live concerts on FMO, Crises and Discovery deluxe editions, which is very likely.
I don't expect too much anymore.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 15:50

Quote (hergest fridge @ June 17 2012, 15:10)
Sally was never going to appear.Think about it,it's a  song about mikes love for his at the time girlfriend,move foreward 30 odd years married to someone else i think we would all be a little embarassed by it.  ;)

It is a quite bourgeois point of view :-) These days nobody knows about Sally Cooper except for us.... They splitted in 1986 and it should not be a problem for Mike's current partner.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 15:54

Sorry, but I confused Sally and Into Wonderland in my earlier post. I'm talking about Into Wonderland. That's the track I think fits on the album.

BTW, Roskilde and Viareggio could be excellent ideas for Five Miles Out and Crises deluxe editions. Someone should tell whoever makes those records.
Crises should of course include the audio from the Wembley gig the same year (with a sensational version of Ommadawn!;).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 16:17

Quote (larstangmark @ June 17 2012, 20:54)
Sorry, but I confused Sally and Into Wonderland in my earlier post. I'm talking about Into Wonderland. That's the track I think fits on the album.

BTW, Roskilde and Viareggio could be excellent ideas for Five Miles Out and Crises deluxe editions. Someone should tell whoever makes those records.
Crises should of course include the audio from the Wembley gig the same year (with a sensational version of Ommadawn!;).

Great ideas. Call me a pessimist though, but I don't somehow think they'll bother with the DVDs from here on out. They probably surmise (correctly I suppose) that the 80s albums are not going to shift the numbers like TB, HR etc, so why would they give them that sort of attention? I do so hope I'm wrong of course.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 16:56

Quote (stpaul @ June 17 2012, 15:41)
I don't mind that they won't include a new remastered version.  The original of Platinum is a top production and the HDCD from 2000 is quite good.

Whilst I agree that production wise Platinum is pretty good - I've always been a bit concerned about the final mix down because all CD releases have had in the background what sounds like cross talk or some tracks with the fader not completely down to 0 so you can just about hear on the cusp instruments that might have been playing along with the upfront mix.

Unless north Star 2012 is a complete rebuild from scratch it's safe to assume he has the multi-track masters for this album and therefore of Sally as these would have been used to compile the final mixdown stereo master which in turn had been edited to put in Into Wonderland in Sally's place...

Platinum is not a long album - and with the amount of time between releases it beggars belief that a new mix could not have been created for the whole album - with either the faint tracks finally eliminated or perhaps boosted so we can hear what they actually are - as in the strumming banjo track on HR!

As it sounds if they are simply using the old 2000 remasters then nothing will have changed and we the fans are getting very ripped off.

*grumble*
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 22:57

Quote (alejandra @ June 17 2012, 10:43)
"After speaking with our release department, I can confirm that the first disc of both albums is the remastered recordings from 2000.
  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you."

HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HAPPY NOW?

Is there a chance you can inquire as to the source of the concerts?  I'm sure most of us have that enormous LIVE file.  If I'm to spend money on these two, a higher professional quality must be produced.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 18 2012, 05:17

allright now? isnt that just a cover? was there any release of this song?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 18 2012, 05:29

Yes, it´s a cover.
No, it was not released but only shown twice on TV.

;)
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 05:31

Quote (stpaul @ June 17 2012, 15:50)
Quote (hergest fridge @ June 17 2012, 15:10)

It is a quite bourgeois point of view

Bourgeois?!?!?!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 18 2012, 05:37

Quote (manintherain @ June 18 2012, 11:29)
Yes, it´s a cover.
No, it was not released but only shown twice on TV.

;)

thats what i thought too.. so why are many expecting this as release?  :/  have never seen a good quality of it either...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 05:41

Because it was properly recorded. That´s why we´re all after it.

Here you find a clip with decent quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdNivnZd2Y
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 05:53

Quote (alejandra @ June 17 2012, 10:43)
"After speaking with our release department, I can confirm that the first disc of both albums is the remastered recordings from 2000.
  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you."

The good thing about this is that the total noobs at Universal Music can't cock up the mastering as they did with Incantations. I'd much rather have these earlier remasterings by Simon Heyworth than a botched job by those other chumps.

Shame there's no modern 5.1 remix of the albums though, and if that's a precedent for the rest of these releases I'll be sad. I would LOVE to hear a 5.1 remix of Five Miles Out, Crises and Discovery but it doesn't look like we'll be getting them :(

Did I read somewhere that Mike was keen to do a 5.1 remix of Amarok? That would be AMAZING! :D
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 06:04

Yes, i have read somewhere on the interview, that Mike want to make something (5.1 mix? - don't remember) with the future Amarok re-release...

I was hoping for a 5.1 mix of Five Miles Out album (Taurus 2 especially - my very best track of Mikes), but now the hope was left me totally...
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 06:57

Sheba → remix = Shiva
Will there be something similar on Five miles out?
Orabidoo → remix = Orgazmidoo
:D
I would love ot hear one of those live performancess of this track at least in a decent quality.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 07:08

Quote (Black Bunik @ June 18 2012, 12:57)
Orabidoo → remix = Orgazmidoo
:D

That´s what we called his renditions of Orabidoo during the 1993 live tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPSaEVU-sjs

:p
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 07:22

One thing is weird:

I got to see the QE2 vinyl release: all the songs on the vinyl are the "2000 digital remasters".

It's well known, music lovers obviously like more the sound of an old vinyl than a CD. I myself did the test with Five Miles Out old vinyl and the remastered CD version and the difference was obvious. But what happens when the vinyl is made with the 2000 digitalised source? That's pure contradiction!

If they do that with Five Miles Out, my ultimate test would be real old vinyl VS new vinyl with digitalised source.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 18 2012, 08:56

Quote (manintherain @ June 18 2012, 07:08)
That´s what we called his renditions of Orabidoo during the 1993 live tour.

:p

Yes I know.  That is why I am so desparate to get a "listenable" version of it.
And if there was a gig even on the ohter side of the planet Mike playing only this one song I would be there!
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net