[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 12:00

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2012, 17:30)
Quote (hairy old hippy @ Aug. 03 2012, 10:39)
To my ears and other faculties there's something of Kevin Ayers about this performance.

Well, at least Mike's voice is more tuneful than Kevin Ayers' voice - IMHO. :)

Kevin's voice is perhaps not the most conventional or even melodic but he has so much charisma it carries him through even in his old age; his recent(ish) unfairground album is great.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 14:41

Ok. Just played the two new releases.
What the ++++ with Shiva....?
Just plain daft....and a waste of space and energy.
If anybody thought the original Sally was "silly", then why is this nonsense on the CD ( apart from making it look like were getting something new.
The Platinum LA run through is interesting, could have done with more of that.and dump the rest.
The REMIX is just a bore.It out stays its welcome.I just love the original.You just couldn't compete.
Its just somebody playing around with a computer.cutting and pasting. and messing with it.
The QE2 disc is a rip off.Wonderfull Land edit..???? Why would anybody want that .????????????????
And Shiva >>>Polka for the 2nd time.? >>>
Scrapping the barrel is what its called.
The saving grace is the live discs...GREAT !!!!!.
I wish you could just buy them and forget the rest.
A live box set... YES PLEASE>!!!!

BUT Saying all that I still buy it, vinyl to.... all looks nice.
BUT for who's benefit are these EDITIONS.. for the fans who keep buying the stuff or for the artists who is making money for the umpteenth time.3rd CD version and the 2nd vinyl release.
I just think that the hardcore fans should be listened to, and
and swallow the pride and just release everything as a reward for continued financial investment from the hard core fan.
Would it really hurt to release."Sally/Froggy went a courting/speak,etc"... its what the paying fans want.
what would be the harm.????????
Just a little Thank You for your support from the artist to the fans.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 17:59

UK Albums Chart
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 18:37

Thanks to YouTube I was able to hear some of the tracks from Platinum Deluxe.  Mine hasn't arrived from Amazon.co.uk yet.  Probably a delay in Royal Mail do to the Olympics.  

North Star Remix is too long IMHO.  The fake choir is nifty, but is turned up way too high.  While the original track is drowned out.  The mixing seemed a bit off kilter.  Now, I will say the break down to the disco-style bongos/guitar, about two-thirds of the way through, where he turned up the left channel guitar, was exactly as I believe it should have been in the first place, on the original.  One of my favorite styles from the late seventies (Think Elton John - The Thom Bell Sessions).

I have not had the pleasure or displeasure of hearing Shiva.  Just singing over the original seems a bit Karaoke-like.  But, I'll reserve my opinion for when it arrives and I've had a chance to give it a proper listen.  I never bought the 2000 Remixes of these two albums.  So, whether this is a 2000 or 2012 mix, is good either way.  

Now, here's hoping Mike will take proper care with regards to the two most popular albums of the 1980's (Five Miles Out and Crises)!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 15:37

I'm soooo busy nowadays (I'm becoming a daddy but more of that later) ;) , so I've got some time now to respond.

Still waiting for the replacement of my Platinum deluxe LE vinyl, but the rest is fine (this means I'm owning two copies soon).

Really like the live versions of Platinum and QE2 too! I've got a lot of bootleg recordings from that period and the one's included in these re-releases weren't in my collection yet!

I REALLY hope that the Five Miles Out deluxe edition for next year will feature live recordings too from the 1982 live tour. I haven't got many bootlegs from that year but they are simply FANTASTIC! Our (sadly late) Tim Cross used the Fairlight for the first time on tour and has an amazing versions of his songs.

The BEST example is the Goeteborg concert 1982 in the Scandinavium: Sheba and Taurus II and simply AMAZING! I have the bootleg of it but unfortunately rather poor quality. If they have that recording for the deluxe FMO edition I will absolutley RESPECT them forever!! ;)
(or if you have a better bootleg you're brilliant!! )

By the way: I just bought the 1979 and 1982/83 tour book from eBay. Brilliant photos and amazing info!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 05:12

Quote (stpaul @ July 28 2012, 23:15)
I need some help regarding the live CDs:

QE2:
I wonder if Punkadiddle is in the wrong place as on all of my bootleg recordings it is the final track

Platinum:
My BBC recording of the Wembley concert is dated to May 29th and I'm not sure if the Platinum re-release features the same concert (dated th may 28th) Actually there were 2 shows.

What do you think ?

It is the from the 28th. I was at the 29th gig which Mike played Omadawn and not Incantations .
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 09:53

i ordered both deluxes, 6cd box and two sides from amazon and they arrived yesterday.
seems that amazon has increased price of box set and two sides since my order

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 12:56

I'm totally digging the Platinum Deluxe edition - Nice packaging overall and sound seems very good, a marked improvement over the old CD.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 13:21

Quote (Kiwwy @ Aug. 08 2012, 12:56)
I'm totally digging the Platinum Deluxe edition - Nice packaging overall and sound seems very good, a marked improvement over the old CD.

Yes, the sound is noticeably improved. I have the HDCD versions, where sound quality is very good and thought that the new remasters will not get any better. Always thought that Platinum sounds good enough (comparing to TB, HR or Ommadawn or even to FMO) as it is from the first CD release and don't really need a remastering. The sound is much brighter, crisper and maybe a little louder (but not much!;) i think it's the best version ever so far. Like it very much! And the same thing with QE2 - also the best sound quality ever for me. I'am really pleasently surprised!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 13:24

loving 'Polka' on both... ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 13:35

Still loving the new QE2... and that live version of Ommadawn is outstanding!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 14:07

Finally I got back into town and was able to have a go at both Deluxe albums.

First off, Platinum.

This new remaster has a crisper and clearer sound than both the original CD release and the 2000 remaster by Simon.  It moves along very easy and has a total late 70's New York feel that I have come to adore.  This used to be one of my least favorite albums of the 70's.  Not anymore... well atleast Side A.  Side B is hit or miss, Imho.  I think Woodhenge was actually beautiful for the first time in all the years I've listened to it.  It seemed more open and airy than before.  And you can't go wrong with Mike's interpretation of I Got Rhythm.  The North Star Remix was much better than the version posted to YouTube.  Clearly this person on YouTube did some cut and past with a side of remix... the mix on there was terrible and overdone with the electronic choir.  The mix on my CD is perfect, especially at the breakdown section (Guitar turned up? Check.  Brilliant!;), which reminds me of Elton Johns work with Thom Bell in 1977.  

Next, Wembley: The LIVE Show.

This is a steller performance.  The mix sounds as if it were recorded yesterday!  The playing is flawless with some unique interpretations not previously heard.  The highlight of this disc is Incantations (BEST VERSION EVER!!;) and William Tell.  Brilliant solo performance by Mike!  (On a side note, I'm a bit pissed off at Rolling Stones latest issue of 100 greatest guitarist of all time, especially after his playing on William Tell, which unsurprisingly snubbed him out of any spot.  Some of the guitarists they chose are mediocre at best).  This show is truly a keeper and is burned into my brain!

Second, Qe2

Right away I noticed a considerable difference between this remaster and the original release and remaster by Simon.  It was more alive than ever.  The instruments seemed to float inside my head, unlike previously.  The performance was mixed properly and not tinny like before.  There were passages and instruments I had never truly noticed nor appreciated until today.  This album always seemed to be mixed funny, to me.  It's hard to explain properly.  The beauty of Qe2 is truly brought out in this remaster!!  Some have complained about Shiva and others have sung its praises.  I am in the middle.  Shiva is a brilliant reworking of the original track.  My real problem with this track is that Mike repeats the exact same phrase over and over again, until the chorus.  Then I can't tell what the hell he's saying other than Shiva.  And, that's mostly do to the choir.  The chorus is by far the highlight of the song.  Not to mention, Mike's voice is outstanding near the end of the track!!  All around this is a unique and quirky track, Imho.    

Next, Essen: The LIVE Show

This, I already have on bootleg from a very large file circulating on the internet.  This mix is by far better than the copy I have.  For one, someone turned down the bass, which is nice!  Though I adore this particular bass line in this concert, it was turned up too much on the bootleg.  Mike's playing is once again superb.  Imho, it isn't near as good as the Wembley Concert from Platinum, but it is still far above average!  The mix on this show isn't quite as good... too much reverb and the drums were turned down too much in some sections.  And, unless I've too little sleep, some sections of Tubular Bells seemed to be slowed down in the mix.  This mix just didn't seem to have the same care as on Platinum's second disc.  This may have been merely just a limitation of the original venue and recording equipment and nothing at all to do with the remixer.  

All in all I am very happy with these Deluxe Reissues!!  The extra's were a bit dodgy on the first discs, but the second made up for it, on both!!  The liner notes were well written this time around!  I like how Qe2's liner notes set you up for Five Miles Out.  Well done there.  

Now, onward to FMO and Crises, my two favorite albums of the 80's!! :)  Now to rip all four discs in Apple Lossless and shove them on my iPod.  

Thank you Mike and all those involved in these two reissues :)
Profile PM 
mitch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 15:43

Quote (christopher @ Aug. 08 2012, 14:07)
Now, onward to FMO and Crises, my two favorite albums of the 80's!! :)  

Five Miles Out was the first Oldfield Album I bought back in '82 and I still have a soft spot for it 30 years on and cannot wait for the deluxe version of that and Crises....roll on next year  :D
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2012, 13:15

live shows are main reason for me to get deluxes...though i heard better ones as unoffical bootlegs in example Siegen 81 which is one of best from that era also in sound quality. Siegen has deep and strong bass which missing from these deluxe shows...i personally like to listen siegen in loud volume when it sounds even better.

I hope they add live stuff for 82/83 releases there is awesome concerts like wembley 83 which id like to get bit better quality. In my opinion one of best track sets are played in 82 live concerts but i dont recall any atm that i heard with decent quality also.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net